New 4-inch iPhone to run Apple's A9 chip, 'iPad Air 3' to sport A9X - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    What I found more interesting in this story is Apple's original plan was for the iPad Pro to run A8X. Thank god they changed that plan (or development of the A9 forced them to change plans).
    I think the Ipad pro initially was supposed to be released a year earlier (thus using the A8X) with the pen as main differences.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 52
    pmz said:
    Yes, current generation as in released last year. The iPhone 7 will have an A10 chip in just a few short months. Of course these devices will run A9s. What did you think they'd run? A8s? That was never in the cards.

Also don't be surprised when the old iPhone 6 is dropped from the lineup at the same time this is introduced.
    Oh please, spare us the drama. "A few shorts months" meaning 8 (from when these will launch) which is October when the next iPhone will become available.

As for your A8 comment, yes it was probably in the cards. Apple does that all the time. Package up something "new" with their surplus of last years processors.
  • Reply 23 of 52

Why would they sell a new phone for under $500? I can't see how that would possibly make sense.
    It all depends on what they pack into it. If it's basically a iPhone 6s in 4" form, I'm guess we'll see it at $549. If they mix and match "old" and "new", I could see it drop to a $449/$499 or something like that.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 52

2old4fun said:
    First time I have seen the "6e" label. Why not "6-", then you would have the small (-), medium () and large (+) labels.
    Because marketing. (-) insinuates an inferior product.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    "Earlier rumors had suggested Apple might price it under $500 without a subsidy, but that would undercut the $549 iPhone 6 with a device actually more powerful." Silly statement. You're valuing screen size above everything else. People make value decisions all the time. Somebody who prefer s the best performance, but doesn't want the larger size would spend more money even though it has a smaller screen. Car analogy fits here. You can add features/performance to an Audi A4 that makes it more expensive than the larger A6. Doesn't undercut anything. Just serves a different customer.
    cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 52
    I expect the smaller phone(I'll call it 6sc) to be released at the $549 pp, and the 6/6+ to remain available until September when the 7 series comes out.

What I wonder, and am leaning towards is that with the 6sc coming out in March, is 6 months long enough to have it out there before updating it in line with the 7 series? If it is truly just a 3rd screen size with no technical differences (beyond phone size and what comes with that) I don't see why they would want the smaller phone to be behind.

It makes sense that after 6 months, only then do they drop the 6/6+ line and make the 3 levels of the 6s line the "value" line while promoting all 3 sizes of the 7 as the flagship.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    2old4fun said:
    First time I have seen the "6e" label. Why not "6-", then you would have the small (-), medium () and large (+) labels.
    That would be seen as too negative.

;)
  • Reply 28 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    ksec said:
    I would love to see how Apple is pricing this out. I am hoping 

iPhone 6s Plus  $749 -> $649
    iPhone 6s          $649 -> $549
    iPhone 6 / Plus - Discontinues
    iPhone 6c?        $499

Now why do that? It will literally create another cycle for iPhone buyers. So now instead of a yearly buying pattern, you have added another mid cycle incentive for those who want to upgrade. Normally the latest iPhone price stays the same over the course of the year. So why not get it ASAP. That is why the 1st two quarter after iPhone release tends to the spike. While the last two quarter levels off. By lowering the price two quarters it will also make the prices minded buyer to hold. Which will smooth out the initial production rush.

Also most of Apple's competitors now stays out of the September Flagship model release and not to go head to head with Apple. They all decide to release their phone in March sometimes after MWC. Now Apple will have a weapon against them. $100 dollar discount.

And it shows that Apple is desperate! 
    They dont and won't drop the price of devices which were just released a few months before.
    they release 4" version in mid tier same price as iPhone 6, not lower tier and keep it for 2 years more. You either get smaller phone with better specs or bigger one with less power for the same price, and that's fair.
    edited February 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    mrboba1 said:
    I expect the smaller phone(I'll call it 6sc) to be released at the $549 pp, and the 6/6+ to remain available until September when the 7 series comes out.

What I wonder, and am leaning towards is that with the 6sc coming out in March, is 6 months long enough to have it out there before updating it in line with the 7 series? If it is truly just a 3rd screen size with no technical differences (beyond phone size and what comes with that) I don't see why they would want the smaller phone to be behind.

It makes sense that after 6 months, only then do they drop the 6/6+ line and make the 3 levels of the 6s line the "value" line while promoting all 3 sizes of the 7 as the flagship.
    There won't be an update on this 4" phone in Fall, maybe just a price cut to send it to lowest tier at $450 and leave the mid tier for 6S and 6+ ( or not, 6+ may be just discontinued). So the line in Fall may be : 7+ at $750, 7 and 6S+ at $650, 6+ and 6S at $550, 6 and this 6c at $450. Apple may just keep 2 phones at each tier for choices and I believe they will.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 30 of 52
    drewyboy said:

Why would they sell a new phone for under $500? I can't see how that would possibly make sense.
    It all depends on what they pack into it. If it's basically a iPhone 6s in 4" form, I'm guess we'll see it at $549. If they mix and match "old" and "new", I could see it drop to a $449/$499 or something like that.
    That's not the point. Dropping the price that low would be the opposite of their approach as a company. It's a high volume-low profit strategy which is something Android and various Windows PC ODMs are known for. Apple is an affordable luxury brand.

By the way, price for these products are not determined by it's inputs.
    ai46
  • Reply 31 of 52
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    fallenjt said:
    ksec said:

iPhone 6c?        $499

Now why do that? It will literally create another cycle for iPhone buyers. So now instead of a yearly buying pattern, you have added another mid cycle incentive for those who want to upgrade. Normally the latest iPhone price stays the same over the course of the year. So why not get it ASAP. That is why the 1st two quarter after iPhone release tends to the spike. While the last two quarter levels off. By lowering the price two quarters it will also make the prices minded buyer to hold. Which will smooth out the initial production rush.

Also most of Apple's competitors now stays out of the September Flagship model release and not to go head to head with Apple. They all decide to release their phone in March sometimes after MWC. Now Apple will have a weapon against them. $100 dollar discount.

They dont and won't drop the price of devices which were just released a few months before.
    they release 4" version in mid tier same price as iPhone 6, not lower tier and keep it for 2 years more. You either get smaller phone with better specs or bigger one with less power for the same price, and that's fair.
    IMO it is a good idea for Apple to have a spring event each year, as it keeps the marketing/media machine active & offers new products for purchase for "those other 6 months of the year".  I think the 4" iPhone model is well suited for this - Apple introduces the flagships of 4.7" and 5.5" in the fall (as these will appeal to the majority), while having the 4" maybe 6 months later.  Each size has its own design challenges, so this spreads the work out on the smaller model.  The 4" enthusiasts will still get their "new iPhone" each year & keep them in the Apple fold.  As for price, it is possible that Apple could price the 4" model at a slight reduction to the 6s - perhaps $50 less at $599?

Great news for iPad 3 if it gets A9X - though more important I think to get Pencil support in order to boost sales (hope that is the case).  It does make one wonder about timing of new iPad releases going forward.  Will the iPad Pro get the major update in the fall, the Mini gets bumped to A9 specs (with potential pencil support - so catching up 1 year later), and then the Air gets some of the "Pro" upgrades in spring 2017?  So Pro, then in six months Air, then in 6 months Mini?

New bands for Apple Watch are all well and good (and maybe some new watch faces...!), but I hope that Apple is planning on introducing AW2 prior calendar holiday Q4.  Stuffing more "brand new" stuff into that quarter gets to a point of diminishing returns - people have only so much money to spend and there is already new iPhones, ATV likely, iPad updates of some kind, Mac updates of some kind.  Does the AW get over shadowed by being in that quarter?  Better to introduce in June to me - it is far enough away from the "last" holiday that people won't feel they have been given an older model, but still early enough to generate its own buzz & get some sales before holiday quarter (like I got my AW on Father's Day last year).
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    brucemc said:
    fallenjt said:
    IMO it is a good idea for Apple to have a spring event each year, as it keeps the marketing/media machine active & offers new products for purchase for "those other 6 months of the year".  I think the 4" iPhone model is well suited for this - Apple introduces the flagships of 4.7" and 5.5" in the fall (as these will appeal to the majority), while having the 4" maybe 6 months later.  Each size has its own design challenges, so this spreads the work out on the smaller model.  The 4" enthusiasts will still get their "new iPhone" each year & keep them in the Apple fold.  As for price, it is possible that Apple could price the 4" model at a slight reduction to the 6s - perhaps $50 less at $599?

Great news for iPad 3 if it gets A9X - though more important I think to get Pencil support in order to boost sales (hope that is the case).  It does make one wonder about timing of new iPad releases going forward.  Will the iPad Pro get the major update in the fall, the Mini gets bumped to A9 specs (with potential pencil support - so catching up 1 year later), and then the Air gets some of the "Pro" upgrades in spring 2017?  So Pro, then in six months Air, then in 6 months Mini?

New bands for Apple Watch are all well and good (and maybe some new watch faces...!), but I hope that Apple is planning on introducing AW2 prior calendar holiday Q4.  Stuffing more "brand new" stuff into that quarter gets to a point of diminishing returns - people have only so much money to spend and there is already new iPhones, ATV likely, iPad updates of some kind, Mac updates of some kind.  Does the AW get over shadowed by being in that quarter?  Better to introduce in June to me - it is far enough away from the "last" holiday that people won't feel they have been given an older model, but still early enough to generate its own buzz & get some sales before holiday quarter (like I got my AW on Father's Day last year).
    The Watch makes more sense as a holiday release, especially in the price segment it fits and the fact it's paired with the phone, than in April.
    I expect a Watch 2 to be launched in the spot the Ipad used to be launched.

cornchip
  • Reply 33 of 52
    2old4fun said:
    Clever, but Apple spells out the word "Plus" instead of using the math symbol, so it would be iPhone 6s Minus, which looks weird.
    ai46williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 52
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    matrix077 said:
    ksec said:
    $100 dollar discount.

$100 discount 6 months after launch? Is that wise?
    No.
    cornchip
  • Reply 35 of 52
    josujosu Posts: 217member

ksec said:

iPhone 6c?        $499

Don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

fallenjt said:
    There won't be an update on this 4" phone in Fall, maybe just a price cut to send it to lowest tier at $450 and leave the mid tier for 6S and 6+ ( or not, 6+ may be just discontinued). So the line in Fall may be : 7+ at $750, 7 and 6S+ at $650, 6+ and 6S at $550, 6 and this 6c at $450. Apple may just keep 2 phones at each tier for choices and I believe they will.

brucemc said:
    IMO it is a good idea for Apple to have a spring event each year, as it keeps the marketing/media machine active & offers new products for purchase for "those other 6 months of the year".  I think the 4" iPhone model is well suited for this - Apple introduces the flagships of 4.7" and 5.5" in the fall (as these will appeal to the majority), while having the 4" maybe 6 months later.

Will the iPad Pro get the major update in the fall, the Mini gets bumped to A9 specs (with potential pencil support - so catching up 1 year later), and then the Air gets some of the "Pro" upgrades in spring 2017?  So Pro, then in six months Air, then in 6 months Mini?
    So the new schema would be
    Fall - new iPhone of 4.7" and 5.5", new iPad pro, new iPad mini (no 'X' SoCs anymore, always one generation behind)
    Spring - new iPhone 4", new iPad Air, new watch (or what ever)

It would make a nice line up but I think they'll drop the Plus and the 'c' version at the bottom and only keep the 4.7" as the entry version due to too low production volumes for the 5.5" and 4" versions.
    They may also drop the older version oft the iPad mini and never keep an older version of the iPad Pro for the same reason...

...and to keep ASPs high 
    B) 
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Here's my guess...

An all new iPhone 7 line up

iPhone 7 Mini (the 4" model)
    iPhone 7 (the 4.7" model)
    iPhone 7 Pro (the 5.5" model)

The naming convention lines it up with iPads.
    Pricing structure stays the same.

All featuring the same thinner yet sturdier all-new design and basic features.
    All featuring no headphone jack but come with new lightning-based earbuds/controller.
    All phones start at 32gb.

Differential features that Apple will use to up-sell:
    A9, A9X and A10 processors respectively
    Force touch (on the iPhone 7 and 7 Pro)
    iPencil support (only on the iPhone 7 Pro)
    Second camera (on the iPhone 7 and 7 Pro)
    Noticeably longer battery life (on the iPhone 7 Pro)
    New 256gb storage cap (on the iPhone 7 Pro)

Again, just my guess.
    edited February 2016 ai46ksec
  • Reply 38 of 52
    brucemc said:
    The 4" enthusiasts will still get their "new iPhone" each year & keep them in the Apple fold.  
    not that they had any alternatives
    cornchip
  • Reply 39 of 52
    ksec said:

iPhone 6c?        $499

What if instead they keep all of their current large phones but drop prices by $50 and introduce new 4" at $549 or $499? Then in the fall discount phones that they keep in the lineup by another $50 (as well as drop higher storage models). Essentially split the current $100 drop in prices in the fall with two separate $50 drops? And introduce new 4" phone every other spring; keeping one old 4"phone with only low storage option- perhaps 5s this time (5s+ since it will be two years old this spring - as the budget 3rd world phone ($399 or $349 in US but with local pricing flexibility for developing world). That helps spread out sales a little bit over the year while still focusing on new line-up in the fall. 
    Apple is wanting to be aggressive without decreasing profits. I don't think that such modest pricing changes would affect profits, in fact hopefully they would rise some due to increased volume due to getting cost conscious buyers in the door but probably buying the new higher-end models.I think they could increase market share nicely while maintaining profits. 
  • Reply 40 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ksec said:

iPhone 6c?        $499

No. Apple is NOT going to discontinue the iPhone 6. They will keep the 4.7" 6 around to offer as an Android entry level competitor, specifically to draw any Android users who see value in Apple products but can't afford the larger models they want. 

I could see Apple discontinuing the 6 Plus, in order to keep the flagship phone a "premium" purchase. But not the 6. 

The most likely scenario is that Apple will restructure their entire pricing strategy now that phones are sold on a monthly installment plan. A $350-400 entry level 4" phone, a $450 entry level 4.7" phone, a $500 mid-priced 4" phone, a $550 mid-priced 4.7" phone (possibly entry level 5.5"), a $650 premium 4.7" phone and mid-priced 5.5" phone, etc.
    cornchip