Donald Trump says Apple should back down in San Bernardino case

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    Dear FBI,

Please create a backdoor into YOUR secure systems so that I can get information on your illegal activities.

Signed

Concerned global citizen
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 122 of 131
    Trump reaction show what a moron he can be!
     quote: "To think that Apple won't allow us to get into her cellphone — who do they think they are?" Trump told Fox News. "No, we have to open it up."
     The court order refers to a phone owned by a government agency that handed out iPhones without following the proper security rules. Mobile device management has been available for quite some time. Did the government agency read the memo?
    A legal precedent can be established if Apple will comply in removing the brute force protection.
     Any back door can and will be exploited outside this single case either by hackers or governments (note the plural)
    The Constitution is inconvenient for a reason!
     I am not a lawyer but I think Apple is within its rights to appeal this order. I do not particularly like Apple and I hate the terrorists but the responsibility for managing the access to this particular iPhone belongs to the government.
    I will explain why: The phone belongs to a government agency.
     The government agency was supposed to implement MDM (mobile device management) on all the mobile devices handed out to the employees.
     All the mobile devices (phones, laptops...) that are registered under the MDM have to be audited at least every year
     The IT department of the government agency will have a separate dedicated Apple ID capable to unlock the phone when presented with the proper judge order.
     The fact that the government agency does not follow the law either by incompetence or disregard (like in we are the government, the laws do not apply to us) does not have to create a liability on everybody else right to privacy
  • Reply 123 of 131
    kpom said:
    Further proof this guy is a idiot. 
    Except that it's likely that Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and John Kasich have similar positions. Bernie Sanders likely doesn't.
    Correct, so many other politicians are saying the same thing as Trump.  So does that put them all in the same "idiot" bucket?   I guess I answered my own question, being politicians  :)
  • Reply 124 of 131
    Donald Trump, the ultimate fascist.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    scotty321 said:
    Donald Trump, the ultimate fascist.
    Hardly. On this issue his point of view is especially disappointing, but his stance on eminent domain is also not at all "conservative".

We are living in a time when the "Democrat" currently in the White House has acted dictatorially to pass unconstitutional laws and undermine more of our constitutionally guaranteed rights than any president since FDR (or was it George W. Bush), then we have the leading "Republican" candidate who is now attacking Apple over the absolute thinnest of arguments from the FBI that would effectively lead to the end of any and all public use of crypto.

And don't even get me started on the list of horrors Bernie and Hillary have planned.

Not looking good.
  • Reply 126 of 131
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

volcan said:
    True, but I don't think the carriers can record emails, chats, Skype, apps, etc especially if they were on WiFi at 

Sure, a terrorist would use a work phone to conduct private business while destroyed his private phone...
    a dumbest employee in the world would still understand that work phone is the worst place to store private data because employers may have backdoor access to it.
  • Reply 127 of 131
    enufenuf Posts: 19member
    Well, Trump is simply selling his brand here. Whether or not he accidentally says something that makes sense, or does not make sense, is entirely besides the point.

In any case, Tim Cook is in the wrong on this one, terribly so.

Here is the full document, only three pages and an easy read:
    https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2714001/SB-Shooter-Order-Compelling-Apple-Asst-iPhone.pdf

Apple's refusal to help with a terror investigation where 14 people were butchered has erased my sympathy and appreciation for them. At this point I am ready to see Tim Cook perp walked into a jail cell and am now annoyed it has not yet been done.

What has been asked of them is easy for Apple to do and would cost them nothing. The court has directed that Apple be paid for its work. The court allowed that Apple could contain the work to their own facility. The court order makes it clear that the hack should be keyed to the phone's unique identity and that it must not work on any other phone. If Apple has further concerns over containing their modified OS they should propose additional security safeguards. Be a part of the solution, haggle this thing out. Not pull a Public Relations stunt, which is all this is truly about.

For example Apple could have proposed:

1. No network connectivity. Do the work on isolated, stand-alone computers.

2. Isolation from cell tower and wi-fi signals. This can be done with commercially available jammers or a Faraday cage room. Or both.

3. No viewing of the OS source code by non-Apple employees.

4. The phone leaves Apple facility only with the original OS and content restored, not with the altered OS.

5. Apple makes it clear they will destroy the work when finished. They should not do that, but they are behaving like spoiled brats so I expect them to do this anyway.

The only reason Cook is not making such a counter offer is because he does not want to be involved in solving crimes. Not even if he is paid to do so. Because the world's troubles are not Apple's concern, only PROFIT is Apple's concern.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Trump: a rich self-righteous fuck who obvious doesn't understand encryption weights in with a meaningless opinion: and this is news exactly how?
  • Reply 129 of 131
    mike1 said:
    He's simply wrong about this.
    He’s not; he’s just wrong about the implications. Terrorists don’t have constitutional protections, but WE do. Something that affects us can’t be done.
  • Reply 130 of 131
    Terrorists aren't official so where they will get constitutional protection?