Are there more PC or Mac switchers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I wonder how many who have been disappointed over slow performance and high prices, have switched from Mac to PC.

I mean for every PC user who has jumped over to using Macs, are there just as many who jump the other way?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>I wonder how many who have been disappointed over slow performance and high prices, have switched from Mac to PC.

I mean for every PC user who has jumped over to using Macs, are there just as many who jump the other way?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would guess there are more since market share has been going down (but it doesnt really matter, as long as apple posts profit, financially speaking). Its werid because you always hear how once you go mac, you won't go back.

I know people who do go back after switching. They say its too complicated. I'm confused on if they are extremely stupid, or using Windows does something to you; if so what does it do?!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    People aren't really switching to one side completely.

They mostly are getting PC as a compliment machine to get their works done faster
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I have heard of one guy who was working with Photoshop and other graphics stuff, .. he had a brilliant G4 ... but he was too stupid to use that so he WANTED a windows...

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: G33K ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 22
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Just because Apple's marketshare is going down, (worldwide, at least) doesn't mean that they are selling less due to more people switching to PC. They are probably selling more, it's just that the PC OEM's are also selling more, a higher percentage more, therefore while both go up, the market share of one goes down.

Anyone understand this/care to explain better than I?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Apples market share went up about a percent last year... 2.6 -&gt; 3.5 or so. therefore, last year, more people moved to a mac from windows than from windows to a mac, i guess.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>I wonder how many who have been disappointed over slow performance and high prices, have switched from Mac to PC.</strong><hr></blockquote>

here we go again.

actualy i don't apple-evangalize anymore.

because, if someone doesn't see the benefits of a mac - he should realy use a pc. but sometimes it gets over me again.

but here again for the record:

-speed

most people don't use the speed their computers have.

writing letters in word, checking emails and surfing the web isn't faster if your tool runs at "so-called" 2.x ghz.

fact is you are faster if your tool is easier to use.

-price

sure you can buy a pc for half of the price of a mac - and that is exactly what you get: half a mac.

and to be more on topic:

i know loads of people who switched to a mac and only one who switched to the pc-world. (he's a pc-support guy (and wants to earn lots of money))
  • Reply 7 of 22
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I'm using my ThinkPad more than my iBook right now. I'm spending most of my computer time writing reports in Word and responding to e-mail, and the ThinkPad w/XP just feels so much more responsive than the iBook w/OS X.

I still have to go back to Mac for Final Cut Pro, though. I don't like any Windows DV editing solutions.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I switch from Mac to a PC about three years ago. I want to go back and try OS X, but there is no way I'm going to pay that much for a computer.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    [quote]Word and responding to e-mail, <hr></blockquote>

interesting. actually e-mail was the #1 reason i started using a Mac 80% of the time. i finally got sick and tired of worrying about stupid viruses. that and the fact that virus writers are getting more and more creative, i figured it was just a matter of time before i got nailed by some new, mean virus.

as i watch new viruses run rampant through our network, i always have to chuckle to myself. pretty much every virus warning ends with the following sentence.

"Note: Mac, Linux and Unix users can disregard this warning as this virus is will only affect windows machines"

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>actually e-mail was the #1 reason i started using a Mac 80% of the time. i finally got sick and tired of worrying about stupid viruses.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can understand that. I've never had any problems, though.

The only account that tends to get these viruses is the Hotmail account I use here (And for anything that might generate spam).
  • Reply 11 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>I'm using my ThinkPad more than my iBook right now. I'm spending most of my computer time writing reports in Word and responding to e-mail, and the ThinkPad w/XP just feels so much more responsive than the iBook w/OS X.

I still have to go back to Mac for Final Cut Pro, though. I don't like any Windows DV editing solutions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

iBook for FCP?! Price may be an issue, but it probably would have been better to get a low end G4 then a high end iBOok (assuming)...and if you got the low end iBook to do FCP work, then i'm not sure what i can say
  • Reply 12 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>iBook for FCP?! Price may be an issue, but it probably would have been better to get a low end G4 then a high end iBOok (assuming)...and if you got the low end iBook to do FCP work, then i'm not sure what i can say</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh no, I use a G4 for Final Cut Pro. Sorry. That's why I said go back to Mac rather than to the iBook. At the moment I'm really just using the iBook to play around with iCal, iSync, etc. I also need it for my iPod.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    apple sales statistics (from the latest 10-Q).

These are "Macintosh CPU unit sales (in thousands) " for the trailing 9 months.

6/29/02 - 4,299

6/30/01 - 3,913

Now, I have no idea if the wording about cpu unit sales is intentionally misleading, or what, but that's what EDGAR online has to say about overall sales stats.

neye
  • Reply 14 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i can tell you one thing... once my revenue stream stabilizes (gotta perfect my drug routes and distro channels) I'm selling my iBook 14inch and either getting a 12inch iBook and a build-you-own PC (Im a hard core gamer and Im sick of mediocre play on my iBook) or an iMac 17inch and a build-your-own PC.

I really like to know I have a portable, so I might go for option 1, but damn, 17inches, DVDR, G4 etc for the price of a 12inch iBook? Grrrrrrr

In any case, I'm def getting a PC for my gaming needs.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    ZO, why not just get a game console or 2? I just rented an XBox for a week... and I'm considering just that.

Instead of the crummy PC box, grab a GameCube, XBox AND a PS2. Go crazy.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Interesting topic...

I have always been a Mac man. I have been using a Mac for a good decade now. Before that I really didn't have much computer experience beside the gold old Commodore 64 (I still consider that machine to be the best gaming system ever)...

Anyways, 3 years ago, a good friend of mine decided that he wanted to get a new computer to replace his HP with a 386 processor. He fell in love with the iMac and decided to give Apple a try.

He bought the iMac (revision B, I believe) and for the first year or so, he was in love. He couldn't stop talking about how great Macs are and how he felt so stupid for not buying a Mac sooner.

Well into his second year he began to bitch about his iMac. He was pissed off because of it's limited upgradability and his machine froze up on him constantly (I kept telling him to upgrade to OS9, but he refused to listen and stayed with OS8.6)

Anyways, about a year ago, he drifted back to the darkside and bought another PC leaving his iMac sitting in a corner to collect dust.

A few weeks ago he came over to visit and had the opportunity to experience OS-X for the first time. He fell in love with Apple all over again. Now he is considering maxing out his iMac's RAM and installing OS-X or just going out to buy a new Mac all together.

I tell 'ya some people!!!

LOL
  • Reply 17 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>ZO, why not just get a game console or 2? I just rented an XBox for a week... and I'm considering just that.

Instead of the crummy PC box, grab a GameCube, XBox AND a PS2. Go crazy. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe. That's what I did. I prefer the type of games you get on consoles. Super Monkey Ball!!! Animal Crossing!!!

And a PC you buy now will need to be upgraded to play Doom 3.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    [quote]"Note: Mac, Linux and Unix users can disregard this warning as this virus is will only affect windows machines"<hr></blockquote>

i love pointing that out to people. when those gayway commercials were on, and said they run thousands more programs, i mentioned to the unenlightened that many of those "programs" are virii. and that macs have like no viruses. i tell em a bit more about how macs are not affected by any of the peecee virii, and they are wow'd. "and its a good thing."
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I believe there are lot more people coming to the Mac side and many who left us some years back are coming into the fold again. I can't back this up however, it's just the general feeling I have and from people around me. For a period recently I didn't have a Mac at all and getting my new iMac was just a huge relieve. Of course I could get a much faster PC for much less money but I just don't care that much.

With a PC only I spent some 1, 2 or maybe 3 hours a day at the computerdesk. I'm there all day long now. That pretty much sumps it up for me. My home computer is for hobby/amateur related stuff only. Yes, the PC was (and is) fast, It had tons of SW on it, it was cheep and did all I asked for. But it's boring as hell and I'm only happyto pay some few hundred ? more and really enjoy what I'm doing

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: kelib ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 22
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    because I think consoles are nothing special. I'm an FPS person. "Gaming" for me means keyboard+mouse and ass kicking with Quake 3, UT, StrikeForce, Urban Terror, Day of Defeat, Medal of Honor, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, No One Lives Forever, bla bla bla.

Thats 'nice' you can play fun little console games with the stupid controller (yes, GTA3 is fun, but it goes so far). IMO consoles, until you can have keyboard and mice, is fun for racing and sports games and a few fighting game. Its a social thing actually. When you have a console, you always have friends over.

I have friends over anyway, so I dont care about a cutesy console. I want gaming like its supposed to be.