US Department of Justice files motion to force Apple to crack terrorist's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    dogman said:
    Where was the NSA on this? Weren't they listening in on the terrorists conversations?
    They don't actually care about the "terrorists". Most if not all of the events are false flags.  That's why there's a narrative that uses social manipulation to hush up anyone who dares to question the official story. 

History has made ruling elites very aware of what happens when capitalism collapses.

The real threat is national rivalry and class war. So they launch wars of aggression and start spying on everybody.

It has nothing to do with "evil people".  It is economically determined, and a forgotten lesson of the 20th century. 

The only solution is total automation and the abandonment of money.  That's difficult to swallow for a lot of people, but no matter. It doesn't depend on their emotional reactions. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 82 of 127
    Apple needs to move the HQ to Switzerland and be done with it.
    baconstang
  • Reply 83 of 127
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    I agree with you...

After 23 years of working for the govt in and with different 3 letter agencies, I can tell you without any doubt that there is no such thing as an EXCEPTION to a rule.  Once you've done something by exception, it becomes PRECEDENCE.  

That rule I learned early on when it came back and bit me in the butt several times.

kamilton said:
    Tim is Shaking in his boots (Not). 

One phone = Precedent = All phones/devices no longer private.
    No privacy = No liberty (Give me Liberty or give me Death)
    Apple has taken the correct position on this issue.
    Apple is too big to fail = They will prevail.

latifbp
  • Reply 84 of 127
    By the way, these links mean everything in this battle for the future of our freedoms right now:

http://lifehacker.com/5871810/how-to-contact-and-properly-communicate-with-your-government-representatives

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

This is everyone's fight, not just Apple's.

What works? Place a call to your state representatives TODAY. It's OK if you've never done it before. Call. Be polite, you'll be talking to a secretary or other person who works for your representative. Be firm about voicing your displeasure over what is happening with the FBI and remind the person on the other end of the line that their boss (your representative) is there to represent YOUR concerns.

The alternative? This is the Apple Campus in the near future:

Yes.  Make a written record of your oposition to the fascists and then send it to the fascists!  

• Reply 85 of 127
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    That would only work if they also stopped selling phones in the United States.
  • Reply 86 of 127
    tmay said:
    He also mentioned law enforcement to be able to access the trunk of cars when there is probable cause, I believe. Do you have a problem with that, too?
    Unrelated.

The issue is creating a software tool as a backdoor into an individuals smartphone that if ever released, will allow cybercriminals full access. Do you understand that?

Edit:

Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-19/secret-memo-details-u-s-s-broader-strategy-to-crack-phones
    You do not understand the analogy.
  • Reply 87 of 127
    nrg2nrg2 Posts: 18member
    This issue has reminded me of a scene in Star Trek many years ago. Anyone believing this is a simple matter and Apple should just "give in" is incredibly myopic. Privacy is not something one should hand over freely and allow to be trodden on under the erroneous thinking that "I'm not doing anything wrong, so it doesn't matter." Privacy and other rights once stepped on are not easily reversed - once the line has been crossed where does it get drawn again - if ever?

latifbppunkndrublic
  • Reply 88 of 127
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    The sooner Apple makes it to where NOONE can crack the encryption, the better.  Government is never one to help in the privacy of any citizen, but will do everything they can to spy on absolutely everyone.  

The irony here is that this case throws the bu!!sh!t flag in the face of the NSA who's been quietly telling the world that they have everyone's data already.  If that were literally the case, the FBI could walk over to the NSA and get everything they wanted without the phone at all.  This obviously isn't the case, so the NSA isn't doing what people thought they were.  

Apple needs to improve encryption and make it bombproof so that no one, even them, can access anything against some's will.  
    Unfortunately there is no easy way to make a 4-digit pin bombproof. If the phone didn't wipe out data or block itself after a certain number of failed attempts, you can break into it in less than 2 days, by simply typing all possible 10 000 unique combinations. If you have a piece of software that can try pin codes for you, the process will take mere minutes (assuming a hardware-imposed delay of 80 milliseconds between each attempt).

So the fact that the phone "self-destructs" after 10 unsuccessful attempts is the only thing that makes it secure, and this is the feature Apple is being asked to circumvent by creating a new version of iOS, that does not have this feature and installing it on the San Bernardino iPhone, something Tim Cook calls a piece of "software that doesn't exist today". Apple should do everything they can to keep it that way because they are the only ones in a position to create this software. Without access to the iOS source core, even the smartest hacker/computer scientist, will find it difficult to circumvent this feature.

Also, to all the security experts saying that Apple can create this version of iOS for the specific UUID of the recovered iPhone, can they guarantee that I would not be able to install it on a different iPhone by spoofing the UUID. My point is that if Apple complies with this request, there could potentially be catastrophic and irreparable consequences for the many hundreds of millions of iOS devices (assuming the majority of Apple's 1 billion active devices are iOS devices)

Apologies for going off topic here, I just felt like getting this frustration off my chest.
    DoJ is a joke
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 89 of 127
    Sure, crack that iPhone.  But don't do it until a month after everyone can download the patch for their phone that will defeat it.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    NemWan said:
    DOJ: "....based on its concern for its business model and public brand marketing strategy...."

That is so cynical, and so many people believe this, and refuse to believe a large public company can act on principle. But Apple is not most companies and Tim Cook is not most CEOs. It's hard to imagine Steve Jobs doing anything more daring and risky than Cook is doing right now. The muted comments by other companies or CEOs, even those sort-of supporting Apple, help prove how exceptionally serious about this Cook is.

There are a billion active Apple devices, many not in the U.S., and it's clear Tim Cook feels personally responsible for making the privacy features of those phones work. Privacy is a lfe and death issue in many situations.
    Other companies like Google and Microsoft are cowards. They don't deserve our business. Fuck them!
  • Reply 91 of 127

Would be great if they imprisoned Tim Cook so that a more competent leader would run Apple.
    You idiot just don't get it. Once this happens , every government in the world will use the same tactic to force Apple to do the same thing and that will destroy Apple. Beside, there is probably fucking nothing in this phone...it's a work phone subscribed thru Verizon where all the data was captured by the provider and already turned over. Also, the iCloud backup got looked at. FBI failed to find the hard drives from the murders' PC and their personal phones which were crushed before they got killed. Now , you tell me who is a fucking reasonable one here?
    baconstangbrucemchlee1169
  • Reply 92 of 127

John Mcafee makes a great case in support of Apple.

Check it out.
    If this guy runs for the president today. I'll vote for him instead of idiot Donald Chump!
  • Reply 93 of 127
    Trump calls for boycott of Apple over San Bernardino iPhone fight until Apple gives the info requested.  So much for small government, eh?  

Apple keep standing your ground, this whole thing is a ruse to get what they've been trying for all along, an iOS backdoor.  
    If Dump is against it, Apple must be doing the right thing.
    hlee1169punkndrublic
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Problem — Reaction — Solution. They create the problem, they control the elicited reaction, then they implement the legislation they had planned all along.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    Better yet buy / make a sovereign island.  In the shape of an apple!
  • Reply 96 of 127
    The irony here is that this case throws the bu!!sh!t flag in the face of the NSA who's been quietly telling the world that they have everyone's data already.  If that were literally the case, the FBI could walk over to the NSA and get everything they wanted without the phone at all.  This obviously isn't the case, so the NSA isn't doing what people thought they were
    You don't get do you? They absolutely can crack the phone with the NSA. The whole point of this exercise is that the circumstances presented the US government the perfect opportunity to set a precedent to force companies to defeat the security and privacy features of the products they manufacture. The government realizes the NSA can't keep up forever so this is their golden opportunity to mitigate that future scenario. 
    hlee1169
  • Reply 97 of 127
    Wow...

Apple: Within 24 hours of govt taking possession of SB shooter's phone, Apple ID pass was changed—backup may have been accessible prior
  • Reply 98 of 127
    The sooner Apple makes it to where NOONE can crack the encryption, the better.  Government is never one to help in the privacy of any citizen, but will do everything they can to spy on absolutely everyone.  

The irony here is that this case throws the bu!!sh!t flag in the face of the NSA who's been quietly telling the world that they have everyone's data already.  If that were literally the case, the FBI could walk over to the NSA and get everything they wanted without the phone at all.  This obviously isn't the case, so the NSA isn't doing what people thought they were.  

Apple needs to improve encryption and make it bombproof so that no one, even them, can access anything against some's will.  
    It's already the case on the 5s and up. If it were one of these phones, the DOJ wouldn't have a chance on earth; they just lucked out that it was the 5c.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    alexrod87 said:
    I'm usually on the side of tech companies but I really feel Apple is in the wrong here. 
    Explain yourself bud. Come on. Make an argument out of it.

• Reply 100 of 127
    jungmark said:
    So will you leave your doors unlocked or provide the local police dept with your keys?
    You are overthinking (or not thinking) and extrapolating beyond reason what I said. They can sure look at my computer's drives (and should be able to look at anyone else's) if they have good reason to suspect paedophilia. I will certainly give them my keys if they want to look in the boot of my car. 
    You are basically a Putin supporter; so, I think you should move to Russia.