Avid iPhone user Donald Trump calls for Apple boycott over encryption fight

Comments

• Reply 21 of 170
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be for Apple to break in, assuming they can, even though they have said in the past that they can't. Then simply tell the FBI what is on the phone that relates to terrorism. They have helped law enforcement in the past, but now they are apparently trying to get out of the forensics business. Although the iOS 9 security has been greatly improved, they could most likely break in. I think they would use iTunes to install an iOS special version, perhaps using a special version of iTunes as well. But at the end of the day they should never return a working phone to the FBI with the altered software running on it. And then delete the patch code from their drive so it can't be stolen. Extremely low threat of the backdoor code being leaked unless the coders at Apple cannot be trusted.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 22 of 170
    Kind of funny everyone bashing Trump, yet not saying a peep about Obama. Last I checked, Obama is the one trying to force Apple to create a back door. 
    apple ][anantksundaram
  • Reply 23 of 170
    volcan said:
    Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be for Apple to break in, assuming they can, even though they have said in the past that they can't. Then simply tell the FBI what is on the phone that relates to terrorism. They have helped law enforcement in the past, but now they are apparently trying to get out of the forensics business. Although the iOS 9 security has been greatly improved, they could most likely break in. I think they would use iTunes to install an iOS special version, perhaps using a special version of iTunes as well. But at the end of the day they should never return a working phone to the FBI with the altered software running on it. And then delete the patch code from their drive so it can't be stolen. Extremely low threat of the backdoor code being leaked unless the coders at Apple cannot be trusted.
    The thing is, the code doesn't exist, nor does Apple want to create it. They'd have to write a new version of iOS, sign it, and upload it to the phone.
  • Reply 24 of 170
    Wow. Screw him.

On the other hand... where is the Apple defense among the Democrats? 
    edited February 2016 calianantksundaramjustadcomics
  • Reply 25 of 170
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    volcan said:
    Sorry, it's not just 1 phone. Next, other govts will demand access to the backdoor. The US will demand other companies to have back doors. Soon encryption will be pointless with all these back doors. It's a Pandora's box. 
  • Reply 26 of 170
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Kind of funny everyone bashing Trump, yet not saying a peep about Obama. Last I checked, Obama is the one trying to force Apple to create a back door. 
    Yep, exactly.

But, let's not use our brains too much, it's much easier to just jump on the bandwagon and go along with the simpletons in their group thinking ways, that's the easy way out for those who were not blessed with such things like having an intellect.

pscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 170
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    King Donald
  • Reply 28 of 170
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    In this case, American should Boycott Mr. idiot Trump. If Americans by-mistake vote for this guy in primary or real election than "I" with heavy heart have lost faith in humanity and especially the sanity/commonsense of American people's ability to differentiate idiot from intelligent.
    calimagman1979
  • Reply 29 of 170
    Maybe Donald Trump should hand law enforcement a master key to all the rooms at his hotels, you know, just in case the police need to peek in on someone.
    calistskmagman1979teejay2012
  • Reply 30 of 170
    Deeg said:
    Tim Cook should call Trump. I doubt Trump will take the call since he thinks he already knows all he needs to know. Then Cook can tell everyone how closed minded Trump is to not even give Cook a chance to plead his case.
    Cook doesn't need to plead any case to Trump. If the DOJ has their way, they'll arrest Tim for "obstructing justice" or "aiding terrorists"... and just IMAGINE... this is all happening under a Democratic administration!
    magman1979palomine
  • Reply 31 of 170

On the other hand... where is the Apple defense among the Democrats? 
    If we see Tim Cook in cuffs soon, that will be 100% on Obama and the clowns who support him. It'll be hilarious. :#
  • Reply 32 of 170
    Deeg said:
    Tim Cook should call Trump. I doubt Trump will take the call since he thinks he already knows all he needs to know. Then Cook can tell everyone how closed minded Trump is to not even give Cook a chance to plead his case.
    Cook doesn't need to plead any case to Trump. If the DOJ has their way, they'll arrest Tim for "obstructing justice" or "aiding terrorists"... and just IMAGINE... this is all happening under a Democratic administration!
    At least they'd be courteous enough to merely arrest him, Trump would probably just launch a Predator drone strike on Campus 2.
    cornchip
  • Reply 33 of 170
    Rich Mogull, who actually KNOWS SOMETHING about the subject: https://securosis.com/blog/do-we-have-a-right-to-security and Bruce Schneier, one of the best experts on security and cryptography: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/02/18/why-you-should-side-with-apple-not-the-fbi-in-the-san-bernardino-iphone-case/
    justadcomicsargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 170
    At least they'd be courteous enough to merely arrest him, Trump would probably just launch a Predator drone strike on Campus 2.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. Obama is currently known as the drone president, based on his love of drones. :#

Obama-led drone strikes kill innocents 90% of the time: report

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/15/90-of-people-killed-by-us-drone-strikes-in-afghani/

• Reply 35 of 170
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    thewhitefalcon said:

The thing is, the code doesn't exist, nor does Apple want to create it. They'd have to write a new version of iOS, sign it, and upload it to the phone. 
    Sure that is a simplified version of what I just said. But when you look at the alternative of the court of public opinion, and the expense of taking it to the supreme court, it could be viewed as a practical approach, especially if you remove the argument that millions of phones would be vulnerable as a consequence. The principle of not setting a precedent for foreign governments holding them hostage if they don't do a similar favor for them is a legitimate concern though. The only recourse is to restrict it to a single phone with a warrant, never deliver any software and make the cost in the millions as a deterrent to abuse.
  • Reply 36 of 170
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    apple ][ said:
    I love how certain hypocritical liberals are down voting certain posts, while totally ignoring the facts, that it is the Obama DOJ that is currently going after Apple in the courts.

Talk about a bunch of hypocritical, ignorant clowns. If Trump is a traitor, then Obama is 100 x worse.
    "but but but Obama worse!!!"
    Really that's the best defense you have going for this wig piece? I'd bet Trump is way worse. He's calling for a boycott on an American company and he isn't even president. Imagine how much worse this traitor would be in Obama's position?
    magman1979cornchipdamonfr2d2justadcomicssingularitykibitzer
  • Reply 37 of 170
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    AngryEmptySuit
  • Reply 38 of 170
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    What a dumb ass! Can you still believe you will vote for this bozo for your next president?
  • Reply 39 of 170
    cali said:
    It's disgusting that a presidential candidate is vowing to support an overseas Korean counterfeit company over a great homegrown American company.
    Since when is Android Korean?
  • Reply 40 of 170
    cali said:
    "but but but Obama worse!!!"
    Really that's the best defense you have going for this wig piece? I'd bet Trump is way worse. He's calling for a boycott on an American company and he isn't even president. Imagine how much worse this traitor would be in Obama's position?
    Unlike Obamatons, who will defend their Messiah to the bitter end in the most hypocritical and ignorant ways, I don't have to defend Trump here in any way, because I have already written that he's completely wrong on this issue, and I've been saying the same thing for days now.
    anantksundaram