Avid iPhone user Donald Trump calls for Apple boycott over encryption fight

Comments

• Reply 61 of 170
    So it's ok for the government to have unfettered access to my phone, and thus all my passwords, but it's not ok for them to have gun registration information?

All those in favor of this should be required to mail their house, car, and any safe keys to your local police department. 
    anantksundaramdamonf
  • Reply 62 of 170
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    apple ][ said:

Well see who's laughing in about 9 months from now. :# 

At least this Apple encryption controversy will be over, that is after Trump starts world war three, people won't be too concerned with their privacy once they are dead.
    palomine
  • Reply 63 of 170
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Trump just spews sound bites without any substance or thought.

When challenged on specifics, he spins the question around. That's it's about being a liberal.
    You could see him squirm at the last debate when others attacked him.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 64 of 170
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    slurpy said:
    So: Not only are you a Trump fan, you also believe the CEO of Apple going to jail would be "great publicity" for the company. The only conclusion is that you're an insufferable moron, but then again everyone on this board already knows this.
    Do you disagree and think that it would be bad publicity instead?

Tim Cook is very nicely compensated and if he had to spend a few days or so in a jail to protect what he believes in, then I'm sure that that's no big deal for him.
  • Reply 65 of 170
    Oh, how much stupid can one person embody?!
    palomine
  • Reply 66 of 170
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    apple ][ said:
    I love how certain hypocritical liberals are down voting certain posts, while totally ignoring the facts, that it is the Obama DOJ that is currently going after Apple in the courts.

Talk about a bunch of hypocritical, ignorant clowns. If Trump is a traitor, then Obama is 100 x worse.
    People can get stuck in their politics.

Instead of focusing on the politicians, let's try to explain the facts. This is a complicated issue without a clear analogy in the physical world. Obviously, if there was some way to guarantee that just this one phone would be "opened", then Apple should do it. The trouble is that this cannot happen. Opening one phone means that now Apple has software out there to do it. And if the U.S. can request this from Apple, it makes it seem much more reasonable when China or Russia for example want it. And once they get it, it then can be used to spy on Americans. In fact, a some point a hacker group could obtain it (either from Apple or from some country), and then maybe even terrorists could use it to plan an attack (as just one of many, many examples, they could find out where some official would be based on spying into their phones).

In other words, the repercussions of this "one exception" are not immediately clear. It's called the law of unforeseen consequences, and it frequently bites us in the butt. For example, many of our present day terrorists were funded and developed by the U.S. in the past. These particular consequences could be even more severe, in particular because of the precedent this sets both for the U.S. and other countries.
    roundaboutnowargonautpalomine
  • Reply 67 of 170
    apple ][ said:
    As is clearly evident from my Avatar, I'm a Trump fan
    I stopped reading your post at this point.
    damonfdavidmach
  • Reply 68 of 170
    Any American who thinks Trump should be President is also a clown. You churn out a lot of them in the US. 
    The selection process is very mysterious. I think politics needs to be overhauled in general.
    I wonder if a certain tech company could reinvent it somehow ;)
    argonautpalomine
  • Reply 69 of 170
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    apple ][ said:
    As is clearly evident from my Avatar, I'm a Trump fan, but he couldn't be more wrong about this issue, in my opinion.

And before any Obamatons come here to criticize me or my post, remember one thing: It is your Obama that is in charge and who is behind this latest attack on Apple by the Obama DOJ, so there are many people who are wrong about this encryption issue on both sides of the aisle.

For starters, I doubt that there is anything of importance at all on the phone. The two terrorists completely destroyed two other phones, and I believe there is a harddrive that is also missing. That is where any important info would have been. Not on a work iPhone that they didn't even bother to destroy.

Tim Cook should be prepared to go to jail, if it comes to that. I think that it would be great publicity for Apple on a level that we haven't seen before.
    This about tech and security and the law. The Feds have an obvious agenda and couldn't be more clueless about the tech. Trump is the one making about politics and his agenda. Obama is in charge so he is expected to weigh in. It's also good that Apple has big support in the tech community but they cater to customers the same way politicians cater to voters. Unless you're a tech security expert chiming in, you're a moron in this case.
    palomine
  • Reply 70 of 170
    apple ][ said:
    You are disappointing me Donald. You are a hypocrite like all the others.  And are wrong on this topic (water boarding too.)
    He's right about water boarding. I agree with him on that topic. :#
    Waterboarding is torture and there have been no instances of useful, actionable information gained by torture. It's un-American.
    r2d2palomine
  • Reply 71 of 170
    Trump is of the school that hates government intervention unless it suits them. Like when banks are being bailed out or liberties infringed. He's such a transparent idiot.
    damonf
  • Reply 72 of 170
    In general, I have enjoyed Trump's antics and comments, but I disagree this time. He wouldn't want the contents of his iPhone compromised, nor would I. Nope, he got it wrong, wrong, wrong, this time.
  • Reply 73 of 170
    slurpy said:
    Obviously the only thing that attracts you to Trump is his hatred, xenophobia, and bigotry. Which of course far outweighs any disagreements you have with him on issues such as this.
    What you call hatred, xenophobia and bigotry, I call national security, common sense and the promise to completely wipe out lowlifes like ISIS.

You are absolutely correct that while this encryption issue is important to me, there are other issues which are far, far more important.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 74 of 170

dws-2 said:
    apple ][ said:
    I love how certain hypocritical liberals are down voting certain posts, while totally ignoring the facts, that it is the Obama DOJ that is currently going after Apple in the courts.

Talk about a bunch of hypocritical, ignorant clowns. If Trump is a traitor, then Obama is 100 x worse.
    People can get stuck in their politics.

Instead of focusing on the politicians, let's try to explain the facts. This is a complicated issue without a clear analogy in the physical world. Obviously, if there was some way to guarantee that just this one phone would be "opened", then Apple should do it. The trouble is that this cannot happen. Opening one phone means that now Apple has software out there to do it. And if the U.S. can request this from Apple, it makes it seem much more reasonable when China or Russia for example want it. And once they get it, it then can be used to spy on Americans. In fact, a some point a hacker group could obtain it (either from Apple or from some country), and then maybe even terrorists could use it to plan an attack (as just one of many, many examples, they could find out where some official would be based on spying into their phones).

In other words, the repercussions of this "one exception" are not immediately clear. It's called the law of unforeseen consequences, and it frequently bites us in the butt. For example, many of our present day terrorists were funded and developed by the U.S. in the past. These particular consequences could be even more severe, in particular because of the precedent this sets both for the U.S. and other countries.
    In fact, now that the FBI clearly spelled out what steps they wanted Apple to take, it would be logical to assume at some point China or Russia will demand Apple implement those changes in order to stay in their respective markets. I'd rather my AAPL stock went to zero and Apple spend every penny of their billions to fight this and ensure their lobbying efforts are increased to get the right people into government to replace this lot of craven idiots. Mind you, anyone who becomes a politician is likely suffering from a case of megalomania anyway, so "your mileage may vary".
    edited February 2016 palomine
  • Reply 75 of 170
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Wow. Screw him.

On the other hand... where is the Apple defense among the Democrats? 
    Waiting for Obama to get out of office ;)
  • Reply 77 of 170
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Someone please hack into this guy's droid
  • Reply 78 of 170
    cornchip said:
    Should be a no brainer.
    mr o
  • Reply 79 of 170
    cornchip said:
    He's an iPhone user. Has he said which phone he will use instead?
  • Reply 80 of 170
    cornchip said:
    Should be a no brainer.
    True. We haven't exactly heard about the FBI trying to hack into an Android phone for months on end, and failing.