Calling all iBook users!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in need of some advice here...

I am the proud owner of a PowerMac G4 466MHz, and am just dying to be portable. I recently upgraded the PowerMac to 768MB Ram, ATI Radeon 8500, and an extra 40GB's of Hard drive space.

I'm looking at possibly switching to a 700MHz iBook, with the combo drive.

Am I nuts? Is there anyone out there who switched to an iBook from a PowerMac? I know it's not a G4, but it's portable. I hate always having to go to my bedroom to use the mac. As a graphic designer, I would like to be outside, or just go someplace quiet where I can work in peace.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments, please let me know! PowerBook G4 is WAY too expensive.

If anyone owns an iBook, and would like to comment on speed, please do so!

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: erbium ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I know what you mean. I'm already tiring of my G4 iMac. It's upstairs in my home office, and yes my TV is downstairs.

I've been looking at a portable, but I can't get myself to "downgrade" to a G3 processor.

Yeah, yeah, there will be those who say it's just as fast except for certain apps. True but why should I pay any performance hit and still pay more. Okay portability is a premium, but until there's a G4 iBook (not Powerbook), I'd hold off. Especially if you're into graphics.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    &lt;sigh&gt; A G4 iBook would be cool. Though I remember reading something not too long ago saying how Apple was going to stick with the G3 processor until the PowerBook went to something faster. Whatever chip the next PowerMac's are going top ship with.

Anyway... The no G4 chip is basically the only thing holding me back right now. However, it's not like my 466 G4 is a real speed demon.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    As a long time Mac owner (and iBook owner), here are my own thoughts.

I think it depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you are a graphic designer, I assume that your core apps will be along the lines of Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark/InDesign. With those apps, you probably want a G4 processor.

As an iBook 500 mhz/66mhz bus owner (or should I say former. I sold mine, but my work provided me with one with a combo drive), I have to say that based on my expections on how an computer/OS should respond, I find the OS X experience with the iBook 500/66 very unsatisfying. However, I have not had the opportunity to test drive an iBook 700/100, and it could be that OS X is acceptable. As well, from what I have gathered, the hard drive speed makes a signifcant contribution to the performance of OS X (since it seems to like to access the hard drive much more frequently than OS 9, which also partly contributes to why OS X tends to take more battery power than OS 9). So you may want to consider also putting a 5400 rpm hard drive in to replace the 4200 rpm hard drive.

The value of portability that a laptop offers is an improtant factor to me. I've owned 8 Macs in total (in serial, never owned more than one at the same time). The last 3 Macs I owned were laptops (iBook 500/66, Pismo 400, Wall Street 233), and I have to say that it is very likely that I may never own a desktop ever again. Combined with Airport, being able to surf the net anywhere near my house (and especially in bed with the laptop lying sideways as I lie in bed) is something I dont' think I could give up. It's part of my "Digital Lifestyle"(tm) *grin*

For myself, my core functions are threefold: 1. Stock/options trading 2. Producing music 3. Email/Office/Productivity. My core apps (in no particular order) are: Office (Word, Excel, Entourage), Virtual PC (to run my options trading platform), Logic Audio Platnium. Of course OS X and the standard iApps (especially iTunes) are important to me as well. In fact, I only need a few more pieces (mainly Waves plugins and Autotune plugin in OS X Audio Units format) and I will be able to go run OS X all the time (though I will still need Classic for some legacy apps). I really am looking forward to that day, but right now, with the iBook 500/66, I find the OS X experience to be very painfully slow, to the point where I really can't use it without feeling a sense of frustration. Keep in mind this is only my own perception, someone else may find the same machine and OS perfectly acceptable.

But it all comes down to what makes you/me happy. For me, I know at some point I will want a laptop, it must have a G4, and I need the monitor spanning so that I can hook up a big screen to put my stock/options charts on when I trade. So without a doubt I will want a G4 Titanium. Yes, it's not a need, it's a want, but sometimes, life is about the excitement and enjoyment of getting what you want (just keep it in moderation and pick your spots wisely.

So what is my advice to you? My advice is this: before you make the decision (or listen to others' perceptions of how acceptable an iBook 700 is for you), I think the best thing for you to do is to find a way to test drive such a system yourself first-hand based on the apps you will use. In all fairness, I have played around a little with the iBook 700/100 a little, but truth be told, I didn't find the iBook experience to be satisfactory enough for my own needs and wants. Altivec-enhanced apps such as iMovie and Photoshop I found to be especially unsatisfying after getting used to using them on a G4 machine. I think you should really try it yourself. You are definitely going to take a speed hit based on lack of G4, but perhaps the price/performance mix will be acceptable to you. I agree with you that the TiBooks are a little on the dear side for what they offer. At this point I am waiting with interest to see if the TiBooks get refreshed in the near future and perhaps in this difficult economy where it's a buyer's market, that Apple would price the TiBooks to be a little more consumer friendly. Best to you on your decision!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    1. Go to an Apple Store.

2. My 700 combo is ****in sweet.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I almost bought an iBook, way back when I bought my G4 466. Unfortunately, the iBook never arrived, and so I changed my order to the G4. Anyway...

I understand that the iBook 500 is slow.

-66MHz bus.

-Rage Mobility graphics.

-256k L2 cache.

However, the iBook 700 looks (on paper) to be quite a bit faster.

-200MHz faster CPU

-100MHz bus

-Radeon Mobility graphics (enabling Quartz Extreme)

-512k L2 cache.

I'm still going to have to get out to the local Mac store, and test drive one. Anyone out there own an iBook and have comments on speed? Especially in OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    The 700MHz iBook, while still faster than a 466MHz PMG4, isn't that much of an improvement. In a few instances, it's slower: on-the-fly resizing of photos in iPhoto, minimizing windows, basically any graphic task.

If you want a laptop that will last you another four years or so, and you're really ready to make the leap to something that will become your digital pal through thick and thin, buy a PowerBook. Not only does the G4, cache, faster system bus, and 32MB graphics processor (not to mention the faster hard disk, which helps a whole lot, due to OS X's great Virtual RAM swapping) improve performance, but the increased resolution makes everyday work more enjoyable, as well: you can keep your buddy list and an IM or two open on the side of your web browser, for instance. You can even add a second display and instantly increase your desktop area.

The iBook is okay, but if you really want to make an investment on a notebook you will love for years, go the extra mile and buy the PowerBook (you might even want to wait a bit, as an update is expected rather soon). In my heart, the new DVI PBG4 is the next Pismo.

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Jon Rubinstein ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Are you telling me that the iBook 700 would be faster than my PowerMac G4 466? That sounds a little odd to me...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Yes. It would actually boot faster, and some applications would load a bit faster. The G4 is nice, but it doesn't make up for a lack of 233MHz, if you know what I mean.

Again, there are some things that will show you've got a G4 in that machine, which I listed above. Any graphics-intensive stuff. I think audio creation also uses the vector units on the G4 extensively, but I'm not too familiar with that area.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by erbium:

<strong>Are you telling me that the iBook 700 would be faster than my PowerMac G4 466? That sounds a little odd to me...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why does it sound a little odd?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    why not upgrade the G4?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Well... I guess I should have been a little clearer.

I just figured that it would be slower because of the G3 processor, as well as the lack of a 133MHz bus.

Anyway, you're right. The G4 only really shows off it's performance in apps written to take advantage of the velocity engine.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I would suggest looking at the following benchmarks for a comparison of the iBook 700 Mhz with other current Macs (PB G4 & iMac): <a href="http://www.macsonly.com/arch00207.html#ib14700"; target="_blank">http://www.macsonly.com/arch00207.html#ib14700</a>;

The results are very interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    hm, i have the 700 mhz combo ibook. dunno the speeds with the other gs.. anyway, i am going to use the ibook for a long time now .. if you have money enough to not have to look too much on the price... go for powerbook. i had not that choise.

on the other hand, i had (have ) another laptop. that feels like a mountain compared to ibook.

if you don't have economical problems .. powerbook.

but i feel good with my ibook... and do graphics with it. (still a lot faster than a p2 with linux)