New 4-inch iPhone to run Apple's A9 chip, 'iPad Air 3' to sport A9X - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    So it looks like no always on hey Siri for the iPad air three. That is a bummer.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz said:
    Yes, current generation as in released last year. The iPhone 7 will have an A10 chip in just a few short months. Of course these devices will run A9s. What did you think they'd run? A8s? That was never in the cards.

Also don't be surprised when the old iPhone 6 is dropped from the lineup at the same time this is introduced.
    The other thing people don't seem to grasp is that there isn't a huge cost differential for Apple. Chip costs are based on area and process technology. As such the chip cost isn't a big factor especially for a new model. A9 might actually save Apple money due to functionality condensed on chip instead of on board.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 43 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    foggyhill said:
    Why would they sell a new phone for under $500? I can't see how that would possibly make sense.
    It doesn't and won't happen, especially if it has the A9;.
    If it had the A8 and had the spec of the Iphone 6 it would make sense.
    You can't say it won't happen because Apple still has to deal with market realitities and I that regard they need a competitively priced device. A8 has nothing to do with it, any cost differential to Apple is minor and A9'allows for more features to market. You need to think like a business.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I wouldn't mind a new ipad if it is worth it. so yeah, A9X, force touch are essential to get me to get out the credit card.  Pencil support would be good, but really, I think force touch is the absolute minimum for me. Web browsing and email on a force touch iPad would be awesome. Otherwise I will keep using my current ipad.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 45 of 52
    foggyhill said:
    What I found more interesting in this story is Apple's original plan was for the iPad Pro to run A8X. Thank god they changed that plan (or development of the A9 forced them to change plans).
    I think the Ipad pro initially was supposed to be released a year earlier (thus using the A8X) with the pen as main differences.
    The iPad Pro's biggest weakness is not the hardware but the software.  iOS is too restrictive to make it worthy enough to replace Macbooks.  It's still just a bigger iPad and nothing else.  Only thing stopping iPads from getting Pen support is the software lock out.  
  • Reply 46 of 52
    I think maybe this is apple testing the water with consumers. If the powerful yet small phone proves more popular than the handsets with larger screens, then they know that, speed and battery life is more important to their customers rather than size or looks. that's the only reason they would make it sub $500. Do you buy a Smaller but Faster phone in the iphone 5se / iphone 6c Or do you buy the Larger but slower iphone 6 I personally don't ever use the latest model as the prices are too expensive for me. My 4s lasted 4 years without a hiccup. Although the battery was charged every 24hours towards the end of its life.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    vision33r said:
    foggyhill said:
    I think the Ipad pro initially was supposed to be released a year earlier (thus using the A8X) with the pen as main differences.
    The iPad Pro's biggest weakness is not the hardware but the software.  iOS is too restrictive to make it worthy enough to replace Macbooks.  It's still just a bigger iPad and nothing else.  Only thing stopping iPads from getting Pen support is the software lock out.  
    "Still just a bigger iPad," (surprised you didn't say it was just a really big iPod) when an iPad handles most everything the masses ever do on a computing device, your attack is hugely misplaced. I use an iPad coupled with a keyboard/folio case and it's now the device I throw in my bag instead of my lovely little 11" MBA, partly because of the size, but also because iOS has matured quite a lot in recent years, it handles everything I want to do "on the go" which is most of what anyone ever does at all. The Pro is even better with more real estate, more RAM, more computing power and Pencil support, I can easily see that device replacing a laptop for more people, depending on your use cases (remember the masses only surf the web and waste time on social networking and nothing else which iOS has done for years).

"Software lockout" - the hardware in the non-Pro iPads is what's locking the Pencil out, not the software, what are *you* talking about? What I would love to see is the mini get Pencil support, I'd be all over that. I tried a stylus with my first mini but that just didn't work very well at all, but with the Pencil (hopefully at some point) I can see tons of utility coming from that combination (in the mini). In the meantime I'll get either the Pro or the Air 3 for Pencil support and my iPad will provide even more utility than it already does today.
    cornchip
  • Reply 48 of 52
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    vision33r said:
    "Still just a bigger iPad," (surprised you didn't say it was just a really big iPod) when an iPad handles most everything the masses ever do on a computing device, your attack is hugely misplaced. I use an iPad coupled with a keyboard/folio case and it's now the device I throw in my bag instead of my lovely little 11" MBA, partly because of the size, but also because iOS has matured quite a lot in recent years, it handles everything I want to do "on the go" which is most of what anyone ever does at all. The Pro is even better with more real estate, more RAM, more computing power and Pencil support, I can easily see that device replacing a laptop for more people, depending on your use cases (remember the masses only surf the web and waste time on social networking and nothing else which iOS has done for years).

"Software lockout" - the hardware in the non-Pro iPads is what's locking the Pencil out, not the software, what are *you* talking about? What I would love to see is the mini get Pencil support, I'd be all over that. I tried a stylus with my first mini but that just didn't work very well at all, but with the Pencil (hopefully at some point) I can see tons of utility coming from that combination (in the mini). In the meantime I'll get either the Pro or the Air 3 for Pencil support and my iPad will provide even more utility than it already does today.
    Totally agree.  However, I doubt you will be able to convince those that hold the opinion that the only "real work" that matters is coding, Excel, Word or Powerpoint.  The fact is that for the longest time, a "PC" was the only tool in the chest for performing digital work on - whether you were a white collar office worker, coder, sales person, field tech, or nurse. Now there are both the smartphone and tablet options to use as well, and for anyone whose job involves being "on the move", doing collaboration with another person, or presenting data in a sales role, artistic work... - the tablet is often the best tool now.  But it does take time for these changes to occur.  Pencil support in the Pro and (hopefully) Air 3 will extend those functions.

"When you are a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

williamlondon
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Who cares about the cost if it had the latest technology inside it for the new 4"!  No more the the current 6S+ price but Apple could charge more since it is smaller.  LOl!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Who cares about the cost if it had the latest technology inside it for the new 4"!  No more the the current 6S+ price but Apple could charge more since it is smaller.  LOl!
    I think the "black" MacBook syndrome applies here -- there was no other reason to charge a premium for a black MacBook other than Apple knew there woukd be pent up demand for it. Not sure how well it would have sold had it been the same price as the white MacBook, but charging more for it certainly guaranteed they would likely sell less.

The 4" iPhone is definitely in pent up demand, but also likely to sell fewer units than the 6S, though not necessarily the 6S Plus. Come to think of it, that may be why Apple prices the 6S Plus $100 more, since material costs are negligible.

Add to that the cost of miniaturization in order to fit the same technology inside a smaller package and offer similar battery life. Whether significant or not, there's some justification for charging more for it.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Lots of post saying Apple not going to list the $100 discount in 6 months time. Which is true, I don't like it either. And It doesn't do well for the 2nd hand black market.

But depending on where you are, Apple actually give bigger discount rate once you get into 3rd quarter of iPhone life time. That includes Carrier Network, and Apple Premium Resellers, as well as other retail. And this $100 isn't directly from Apple, both retail and and Apple take slightly less margin. This hasn't shown up in the quarterly ASP & margin, i suspect this has to do with pricing structure. Most of the time you don't see cheaper price, but more accessories or perks given for free with promotion. Because Apple buyers are likely willing to spend that amount of money anyway, gifts and promotion like these are much more beneficial to retailers. 

And since the world, especially US are now starting to decouple their price plan and phone prices, Apple can no longer hide these prices behind a discount plans. Which again usually starts to happen in 3rd quarter giving more Data. Since the plan runs up to 24 months, these small incentive accumulate to roughly what Apple discount are.

You may also ask the retailer / network could stick to the original price and still gain more profits. Well they have a target to hit, and apple is very straight about their parters not moving units / volume. To be honest this is so far so good because of how popular the iPhone are, most other phone maker don't have these leverages.  Otherwise this could one day backfire.

And remember what was suppose to be THE premium phone price point made by Apple, has actually been pushed up $100 with the introduction of iPhone 6 Plus.

To be honest i would have like Apple to bring in more value instead of price reduction. More Free iCloud Storage could be one. changes of storage structure and starting with 32GB, then move up to 128GB and 256GB. But Apple has yet to make those move. 

The economy is in not in very good shape, China is doing just about OK. I have a hard time imagine the next cycle of iPhone to continue sell 230M unit  / year. Remember Apple took 500M unit away from the world purchasing power in the last 2 year, that is 320B. 

• Reply 52 of 52
    Just hope Apple does not gimp the new iPhone 5SE too much! I mean it only $100 less then the 6S; for godsakes! Have a heart Apple!