Avid iPhone user Donald Trump calls for Apple boycott over encryption fight

Comments

• Reply 141 of 170
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Jasonx911 said:
    As an avid compulsory user of Apple and a semi (Trump is better than Bernie supporter) I am torn on his response. Privacy is a feature that I enjoy and relate to my experience of Apple products. In reading some of the reports I believe this is a work issued phone provided by the San Bernadino County. If this is the case than they only need the counties permission to open the phone. After all it does not belong to the terrorist. I my thoughts are wrong then they can go to the cell phone provider and get the transcripts of the phone calls (Remember Edward Snowden). None the less if it is so important to make all Apple users vulnerable for the FBI to know what a terrorist iTunes playlist looks like than they can go pound sand
    It also makes every phone vulnerable to foreign govs (they'll ask for the same thing as the FBI) and criminals. If there is a hook in something to bypass a security system, it becomes a possible vector of attack or something that can be exploited if a bug in IOS occurs (there are always bugs in any OS).
  • Reply 142 of 170
    I say that rather than ask for people to boycott Apple, he should just withdraw from the public, any public forum, or any other way we can dismiss this blowhard from having everyone listen to his rants!
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 143 of 170
    komokomo Posts: 25member
    How can anyone in their right mind follow trump
    nolamacguypalomine
  • Reply 144 of 170
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    jax44 said:

Samsung.
    The FBI has many instances where they would like to track extremely dangerous individuals.  These individuals are using the iPhone encryption as the tool de jour to facilitate their murderous, terrorist ends. Believe me, the FBI is not concerned about who you are going out with on Saturday night, or if you paid your parking ticket.  Cooperation between the CIA, FBI and Apple/Samsung would help stop future mass murders and terrorist attacks such as in France and San Bernardino. The software should still remain under the control of Apple or Samsung, as the government has recently offered, this to safeguard the right of privacy where law enforcement activities are not involved.
    This does not seem unreasonable but then most people would be very nervous putting their most private aspects of their lives on their phones. The nature of the smart phone would change. Surely, every alternative method to deal with terrorism should be tried before resorting to the extreme act of removing a big chunk of people's freedoms. Obviously, if you follow people 24 hours a day you will probably be safer but is that any way to live? 
    palomine
  • Reply 145 of 170
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    komo said:
    He's not my cup of tea but a lot of people are following him and you can't just, in your infinite wisdom, dismiss them as delusional.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 146 of 170
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This issue is between Apple and other corporations VS law enforcement. No one is asking Mr.Trump's opinion. So this idiot needs to be defeated in primary before screw up America like his jibber-jabber talk. This time, I was planning to vote for republican. But now either not vote or vote for democrat. Initially, I liked this man as a republican front runner for presidency but now he not only annoys me but feel like kicking him.
  • Reply 147 of 170
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    fordee said:
    Tim Cook is a patriot. Donald Trump is a traitor to the American people.
    Donald Trump is the closest thing to real life Lex Luthor there is. Lex Luthor was briefly President of the US in some continuity.

nolamacguy
  • Reply 148 of 170
    It is unfortunate that this man has gotten away with oversimplifying the issue so much and making it look as though Apple has something in its possession that could help and investigation and is refusing to hand it over. Apple can get into iCloud data. That has always been the case. But data stored locally on the iPhone is inaccessible without a passcode. At least, no one can prove that Apple can get into data stored locally on someone's iPhone.

If Apple doesn't have the means readily at its disposal and would need to get past the encryption on someone's iPhone and would need to create a special OS to do so, then what the FBI is asking for is unprecedented.  
  • Reply 149 of 170
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    pmcd said:
    komo said:
    He's not my cup of tea but a lot of people are following him and you can't just, in your infinite wisdom, dismiss them as delusional.
    Why not? If you ask them why? They do sound either uninformed, idiots or delusional . So why not call a spade a spade? Why mince words.
    Appeasement and myopia is what got Hitler (and many dictators) into power; saying nothing is dangerous.
    Skirting around the fact that a huge group of Americans are ready to vote for a dangerous moron appealing to their fears is basically the essence of political correctness.
    The fact the US has fallen so low in education, especially civic education, is an indictment of this nation and that should make the headlines..
    nolamacguymuppetrypalomine
  • Reply 150 of 170
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    pmcd said:
    komo said:
    Who's "dismissing" Trump supporters as delusional?

Most of us who see that they're delusional are taking that very seriously, not dismissing them.

Hitler was elected by delusional Germans in 1933. They were that crazy. Some Americans may be crazy enough to try to elect Trump in 2016, but I don't think there are quite enough of them to pull it off. 

No infinite wisdom required, just a bit of history. There are quite a few parallels between the Weimar republic and the US right now, especially regarding cultural divides and the insecurity of the Right.

nolamacguymuppetrypalomine
  • Reply 151 of 170
    flaneur said:
    pmcd said:
    Who's "dismissing" Trump supporters as delusional?

Most of us who see that they're delusional are taking that very seriously, not dismissing them.

Hitler was elected by delusional Germans in 1933. They were that crazy. Some Americans may be crazy enough to try to elect Trump in 2016, but I don't think there are quite enough of them to pull it off. 

No infinite wisdom required, just a bit of history. There are quite a few parallels between the Weimar republic and the US right now, especially regarding cultural divides and the insecurity of the Right.

Here here! I agree with your analogy. The term "if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear" , which of course means that there is something to fear, was a buzz term in  1930's Germany as the regime rounded political opposition and outspoken embers of society et al and imprisoned them in Dachau from 1930 onwards. I don't actually think Hitler won the election but only a seat so they gave him highest position possible to appease him, and over time he replaced the head of police/interior etc with members from his own party and took over from the inside and then banned all other parties.
    Donald Trump is nothing short of a moron, he wants to effectively emulate the Berlin Wall across the border. 
    The saying is "those that do not know their history are condemned to repeat it"

USA please be aware of the idiot Trump all he is doing is saying what you want to hear.

His comments on Apple are misplaced/misguided at best and that is being polite. As far as I am concerned Tim Cook deserves a medal. He is 100% right. Once this is issue is forced that's it - its outline the open and effectively the state has carte blanche to spy on every citizen in every democracy without being held to task. I'm saying we're will it end.
    nolamacguydewmepropod
  • Reply 152 of 170
    jamesfarrow said:
    he wants to effectively emulate the Berlin Wall across the border. The saying is "those that do not know their history are condemned to repeat it"
    You don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about. The irony is palpable.
    USA please be aware of the idiot Trump all he is doing is saying what you want to hear.
    Sure. Please be aware that you don’t matter.
    His comments on Apple are misplaced/misguided at best and that is being polite.
    Yep.
    …the state has carte blanche to spy on every citizen…
    Already have that.
    …in every democracy without being held to task. I'm saying we're will it end
    Hopefully with the destruction of said ‘democracies’, as they’re either bad or illegal.
  • Reply 153 of 170
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    apple ][ said:
    cali said:
    "but but but Obama worse!!!"
    Really that's the best defense you have going for this wig piece? I'd bet Trump is way worse. He's calling for a boycott on an American company and he isn't even president. Imagine how much worse this traitor would be in Obama's position?
    Unlike Obamatons, who will defend their Messiah to the bitter end in the most hypocritical and ignorant ways, I don't have to defend Trump here in any way, because I have already written that he's completely wrong on this issue, and I've been saying the same thing for days now.
    Okay like Bush supporters are any different, 2 wars with countless deaths and suicides, tons of money spent on the war effort, unemployment hit 10%, the dow went down to $6500, the Patriot Act, Weapons of Mass destruction, 9/11,
  • Reply 154 of 170
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hopefully with the destruction of said ‘democracies’, as they’re either bad or illegal.
    "Illegal"  :D
    edited February 2016 muppetry
  • Reply 155 of 170
    Running for President and trying to tear down one of the few American companies that can compete and beat other companies around the world. Then switches to a Korean manufacturer of phones that steals American company's ideas for software and design...let's elect this guy.
    he is a clown, isn't he. amazing that he's convinced some pudding-heads to vote for him.
    muppetry
  • Reply 156 of 170
    pmcd said:
    komo said:
    sure you can. there are plenty of morons in this world -- not all opinions are equal. trump supporters are likely of lessened intelligence and easily motivated by emotion. thats what demagogues do.
    edited February 2016 muppetrypalomine
  • Reply 157 of 170
    crowley said
    "Illegal"
    We already know you don’t comprehend any law other than your own. You don’t need to keep embarrassing yourself.
  • Reply 158 of 170
    crowley said
    "Illegal"
    We already know you don’t comprehend any law other than your own. You don’t need to keep embarrassing yourself.
    Not true, but your spam insults don't really bother me.  What democracy is "illegal"?  What a load of attention-seeking rubbish you spout.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 159 of 170
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    crowley said:
    Not true, but your spam insults don't really bother me.  What democracy is "illegal"?  What a load of attention-seeking rubbish you spout.
    It's the old debate about whether a Republic is a type of Democracy. The issue usually hinges on whether the existence of a Constitution means that the majority do not have absolute power which, in a the original, Greek concept, they did, even though the term has expanded to include any system where the population, either directly, or indirectly via representatives, govern themselves. That is really the only hook on which to hang the argument about how a representative democracy differs from a republic but since, even in a republic, the elected representatives can amend (and in the US - have amended) the constitution and since there is nothing in the definition of democracy that forbids a constitution, the distinction is moot IMO.

The extent to which some people (almost exclusively conservatives) get excited about this pedantry has always baffled me. I'm left with the impression that they just don't like the similarity of the words democracy and Democrat, and as Republicans much prefer to see the US only referred to as a Republic.
    palomine
  • Reply 160 of 170
    muppetry said:
    crowley said:
    It's the old debate about whether a Republic is a type of Democracy. The issue usually hinges on whether the existence of a Constitution means that the majority do not have absolute power which, in a the original, Greek concept, they did, even though the term has expanded to include any system where the population, either directly, or indirectly via representatives, govern themselves. That is really the only hook on which to hang the argument about how a representative democracy differs from a republic but since, even in a republic, the elected representatives can amend (and in the US - have amended) the constitution and since there is nothing in the definition of democracy that forbids a constitution, the distinction is moot IMO.

The extent to which some people (almost exclusively conservatives) get excited about this pedantry has always baffled me. I'm left with the impression that they just don't like the similarity of the words democracy and Democrat, and as Republicans much prefer to see the US only referred to as a Republic.
    I agree with everything you've said, but still don't understand, even in that dogmatic worldview, how any democracy could be said to be, in itself, illegal. By what laws?