Mark Zuckerberg voices support for Apple in encryption row, but FBI is winning public mindshare

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    pmcd said:
    Apple should provide as much help as it can to the FBI. This is a very extraordnary situation and it is a mistake to turn this into a defence of basic privacy rights. Apple cannot win with public opinion in this situation and the decision to elavate the issue to a public discussion on privacy is a mistake on the part of Tim Cook. No doubt he means well but this is not good for Apple as a company. The privacy issue would be better dealt with under more sedate circumstances and not muddied by the terrorist aspect of the situation.
    This is not an "extraordinary" issue at all, they DOJ got a mile long lists of god damn phones a mile long at the DOJ waiting for this tool.

Considering there is a god damn mass murder a week the US how the hell is this exceptional; it's business as usual in fact.
    Will any one of them be stopped by this, NO, will any terrorist be stopped by this, NO (they destroyed all their personal phones and computers so it's 100% certain this phone has nothing).

Stop informing yourself before spouting reactionary crud.
    argonautfastasleep
  • Reply 62 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd like to see another pole that wasn't setup by the FBI. Clearly a stunt. I've seen support far more with Apple. Besides, the implications are huge here. China will want it. The US with get in any everyone will want in. It's our phone not property of the US. Besides, criminals wil use their own encryption anyway.
    edited February 2016 argonaut
  • Reply 63 of 75
    jkichline said:
    Well the public is dumb and easily persuaded. Welcome to the Idiocracy.
    Idiots like Bill Gates? Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're dumb. In fact, on this issue at least, the public seems to recognize that privacy is only one of several political values at play here. The "on the one hand...but on the other hand" reasoning displayed by such "idiots" displays an ability to recognize complexity and balance trade-offs that seems to have eluded their self-congratulating opponents who have rejected political philosophy for ideology and apparently have little to add beyond chanting the mantra "right to privacy," "right to privacy."
  • Reply 64 of 75
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    the public are who BUY the phones.. a lot will shun apple now.. right or wrong... 
    Wrong.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vote-should-apple-comply-with-the-order-to-unlock-san-bernardino-iphone-2016-02-19?dist=lcountdown
  • Reply 65 of 75
    proxprox Posts: 15member
    Wait let me get this straight. Apple will give your personal information to Chinese government to view this information, but they will not help the US Government with 1 iPhone to track a terrorist?
    jkichline said:
    Apple will give your personal information to Chinese government to view this information, but they will not help the US Government with 1 iPhone to track terrorist activity that could lead to the future safety of Americans?
  • Reply 66 of 75
    There are only two kinds of companies in this world, those that have been hacked and don't know it and those about to be hacked. The day Apple is ordered to create that back door is the day every government agency and hacker in the world will be hacking Apple with every tool they have in the book. Would it be worth putting every business risk of losing trade secrets and being able to be blackmailed to get into one phone that the government screwed up by changing the password.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I believe that Apple is in favor of the terrorist actions of ISSI, and any other terrorist group for that matter, by short-changing the FBI and the general public of , what could be, valuable terrorist data and cell information. I will never buy an Apple product, as long as they do not unlock that phone for the FBI.
    Next time think before posting stupid things.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    robauto18 said:
    I guess, my PHD aside, I'm just one of the unwashed public but the Apple response is very very disappointing.  Apple needs to come up with a solution  -- and there is always a solution.  Here is what I wrote, admittedly an emotional argument, to Tim Cook.  

"Dear Mr. Cook:  You really need to find a solution to how to provide FBI access to the terrorist iPhone.  You are a smart man in a smart company and can surely find an answer better than your resounding “NO” to the FBI.  Obviously someone will crack your codes eventually but that’s besides the point.  The US needs this information NOW to save lives.  You are effectively aiding terrorists.   Chinese labor practices were  bad enough but this — unforgivable.  Apple’s image is being irreversibly damaged in my opinion and this will probably be the beginning of the end of your leadership there and indeed Apple’s great popularity.   I and my students  have been devoted Apple users  40 years but now I will be rethinking my future purchases."  NO is not an acceptable response and it's Apples responsibility to help in my opinion.

Sadly

PHD? Pizza Home Delivery? No Doctors of Philosophy posts their title that way...Next time, make a fake thing look real: Ph.D, Mr. PHD...lol
    edited February 2016 fastasleepquadra 610
  • Reply 69 of 75
    jkichline said:
    Idiots like Bill Gates? Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're dumb. In fact, on this issue at least, the public seems to recognize that privacy is only one of several political values at play here. The "on the one hand...but on the other hand" reasoning displayed by such "idiots" displays an ability to recognize complexity and balance trade-offs that seems to have eluded their self-congratulating opponents who have rejected political philosophy for ideology and apparently have little to add beyond chanting the mantra "right to privacy," "right to privacy."
    Bill Gate didn't agree with FBI either. The damn article assumed that. He came on Bloomberg and said that he didn't side with FBI, jut hoped FBI to find the way to extract this phone...solely.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    It's interesting how little the FBI knows concerning how to sync an iPhone to iCloud or iTunes. Apparently (from reading your post) you don't know much about it either. I could sync Syed's 5C on my laptop with iTunes. Tonight. If I wanted to.
    No you couldn't. How are you going to tell the phone to trust your laptop if you can't unlock it first? Or is this an /s post. 
  • Reply 71 of 75
    prox said:
    Wait let me get this straight. Apple will give your personal information to Chinese government to view this information, but they will not help the US Government with 1 iPhone to track a terrorist?
    That is not a thing. 
  • Reply 72 of 75
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    robauto18 said:
    I guess, my PHD aside, I'm just one of the unwashed public but the Apple response is very very disappointing.  Apple needs to come up with a solution  -- and there is always a solution.  Here is what I wrote, admittedly an emotional argument, to Tim Cook.  

"Dear Mr. Cook:  You really need to find a solution to how to provide FBI access to the terrorist iPhone.  You are a smart man in a smart company and can surely find an answer better than your resounding “NO” to the FBI.  Obviously someone will crack your codes eventually but that’s besides the point.  The US needs this information NOW to save lives.  You are effectively aiding terrorists.   Chinese labor practices were  bad enough but this — unforgivable.  Apple’s image is being irreversibly damaged in my opinion and this will probably be the beginning of the end of your leadership there and indeed Apple’s great popularity.   I and my students  have been devoted Apple users  40 years but now I will be rethinking my future purchases."  NO is not an acceptable response and it's Apples responsibility to help in my opinion.

Sadly

Just a tip:

You probably want to use either Ph.D or PhD when you masquerade on the internets...

Another tip:

You might want to brush up on your research skills.

toodooloo!
  • Reply 73 of 75
    slurpy said:
    ""We certainly do have very strong policies on this that if there's any content that's promoting terrorism or sympathizing with ISIS or anything like that, we'll ... get those people off the service. We don't want people that are doing that stuff on Facebook," he said." Hey Zuck, there's a difference between getting into a cloud based service, and a physical device with local, private, encrypted content.
    Zuck conflated privacy and security with terrorism. Oops. We learned today that the FBI already used the All Writs power to compel Apple to help unlock other iPhones in cases unrelated to terrorism; those cases are about privacy. The FBI are using this terrorism case to gain traction for their assault on our right to privacy.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    foggyhill said:
    pmcd said:
    Apple should provide as much help as it can to the FBI. This is a very extraordnary situation and it is a mistake to turn this into a defence of basic privacy rights. Apple cannot win with public opinion in this situation and the decision to elavate the issue to a public discussion on privacy is a mistake on the part of Tim Cook. No doubt he means well but this is not good for Apple as a company. The privacy issue would be better dealt with under more sedate circumstances and not muddied by the terrorist aspect of the situation.
    This is not an "extraordinary" issue at all, they DOJ got a mile long lists of god damn phones a mile long at the DOJ waiting for this tool.

Considering there is a god damn mass murder a week the US how the hell is this exceptional; it's business as usual in fact.
    Will any one of them be stopped by this, NO, will any terrorist be stopped by this, NO (they destroyed all their personal phones and computers so it's 100% certain this phone has nothing).

Stop informing yourself before spouting reactionary crud.
    Get a grip. By definition it is exception. Few of the mass murders you talk about are terrorist related. 

You can't study such an important topic with everyone throwing around buzz words. It needs to be done in a sedate and certainly not a public political space where everyone is posturing. Apple has to untangle the issue from terrorism and part of this is to be as helpful as possible with this one phone. Quite possibly nothing can be done to open the phone's contents without resorting to creating an unlock for all phones. If that is the case then it can't be done at this time. Nothing prevents them from trying.

As for your insights into how to stop terrorism pardon me if I'll pass.