Facebook 'Like' button gains new reactions: Love, Haha, Wow, Sad & Angry [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
Social networking giant Facebook on Wednesday delivered on its promise to add more context and nuance to its ubiquitous "Like" button, giving users options for love, laughter, sadness and more [updated].

Beyond the normal "Like" button on posts on the site, users can now choose from five more reactions. They are:

• Love
  • Haha
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry

On a Mac or PC, users can hover over the Like button with their cursor to see the reaction image options. On mobile devices, users simply tap and hold on the Like button and slide your thumb across to choose one.

"We understand that this is a big change, and want to be thoughtful about rolling this out," Facebook product manager Sammi Krug wrote in a post to the company's official site. "For more than a year we have been conducting global research including focus groups and surveys to determine what types of reactions people would want to use most. We also looked at how people are already commenting on posts and the top stickers and emoticons as signals for the types of reactions people are already using to determine which reactions to offer."

While the now-iconic blue like button remains with a thumbs-up, the remaining reactions are represented by emoji-like faces and icons.

Facebook first announced last September that it was working on new ways for users to react to posts beyond simply "liking" them. For example, if a user shares sad news, such as the death of a loved one, their friends may want to acknowledge the post without seeming like they are pleased by it.

Facebook officials had been reluctant to add a general "dislike" button, for fear that it might lead to negativity or even harassment on the site. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said last year that efforts to expand reaction options on his site were a "surprisingly complicated" endeavor.

Facebook is the single largest developer for Apple's iOS platform, as the company is responsible for four of the top ten most popular mobile apps of all time: The official Facebook app, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp Messenger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ok. And this is how Facebook plans to keep you more 'engaged' to it's services.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Amazing! Facebook is adding emojis!  This is top news!!

/s
    ireland
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Any Facebook emoji for "why does the FBI need access to our iPhones"?
    equality72521
  • Reply 4 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've seen this feature for months.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I am finally able to unhinge all five of my emotional states:

- likes you 
    - you stupid 
    - how you do that
    - pity the fool 
    - maybe block you latter 

damn Facebook, damn! 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Nice to see that the FB world can now express five things instead of one, still a long way off from a child of one.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    The iOS Facebook App does support this... Just hold down the Like button and take a look.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    knowitall said:
    Nice to see that the FB world can now express five things instead of one, still a long way off from a child of one.
    I realize it's easy to make fun of Facebook, but it's that kind of primitiveness (some would call it simplicity) that made them so successful. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    The point of these baffles me. I get that liking someone's crap will show up in a list of others who have liked it too. But when you add all these levels to that, how is it any different then placing one of the billion stickers they already provide into a comment?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    The point of these baffles me. I get that liking someone's crap will show up in a list of others who have liked it too. But when you add all these levels to that, how is it any different then placing one of the billion stickers they already provide into a comment?
    It's all for the benefit of advertisers. If anyone is under the perception that Facebook is anything other than a massive data collection machine, they are grossly mistaken.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 11 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    SpamSandwich said:

If anyone is under the perception that Facebook is anything other than a massive data collection machine, they are grossly mistaken.
    And Apple is nothing more than a massive iPhone sales machine.

/s