The ipod in a car.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Everythingipod.com is offering a "complete ipod auto connection kit.

Has anyone had success with these devises. It seems like it would be to many cables. I have heard rumors about a possible Griffin Technology FM transmiter that connects directly to the ipod. Is this going to come out?

Also, what options are there for directly connecting the iPod to the car stereo?

The ipod is going into a Passat.

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: jante99 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    I just ordered the auto charger for my iPod and this:

Link your iPod to your car or home stereo without wires, without headaches. Simply plug the 300W into the headphone jack on the iPod, choose one of four FM frequencies, and tune your radio to that frequency. The irock! 300W transmits the audio from your player directly to your home or car FM radio-no wires, no hassle.

the charger has shipped...the other device hasn't. Can't wait to get it!

both from <a href="http://www.apple.com"; target="_blank">www.apple.com</a>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I agree that the best solution to an iPod in the car is for it to be HARDWIRED into the stereo auxilliary input source. It seems that someone would figure out an easy attachment to hook up to the CD changer inputs, allowing you to simply plug into your earphone jack and start pumping tunes directly into your sound system.

FM transmission is a sloppy 1970's alternative.

Bah!

D
  • Reply 3 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    FM transmission is weak. Why not just buy a $19 stereo -&gt; tape deck converter?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by TOOL:

<strong>I just ordered the auto charger for my iPod and this:

Link your iPod to your car or home stereo without wires, without headaches. Simply plug the 300W into the headphone jack on the iPod, choose one of four FM frequencies, and tune your radio to that frequency. The irock! 300W transmits the audio from your player directly to your home or car FM radio-no wires, no hassle. </strong><hr></blockquote>

My wife uses that. She loves it. The frequency selector switch will move on a simple bump, though. This can be highly annoying as it results in a car full of static.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Tape Deck???

Ummm, helloooo?

I'm running a mini-disc deck in my rig at present. I'd say that FM wins out over that 1980's kludge known as the tape-convertor.

For the tape convertor, I say DOUBLE BAH!

And a HUMBUG for good measure.

Drew
  • Reply 6 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I've got an aiwa stereo with an aux jack on the front. I just hook my iPod to it with a 1/8" mini-jack. Not a bad solution for me. But what's keeping someone from trying a 1/8" stereo mini-jack to RCA out? Surely radio shack has one. That would hook right into a car's RCA in's. It should work if such a cable exists.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, i'm looking into this right now. at the moment, i have the iRock FM broadcaster until i get a new deck. picked one up at radioshack for $18.

the best solution for the iPod though is to get a deck designed to control a cd changer. the decks also have an optional converter to an 1/8th inch jack. (or whatever the headphone jack is) 9 times out of 10, the cd changer connection is a higher quality one, and will produce better sound. the Aiwa decks also have a feature that "enriches" sound, which was designed specifically with MP3's in mind, as they drop out some frequencies.

however, these decks will tend to run anywhere from $250 to $500, so the iRock is a much cheaper solution. also, a normal aux in is a better sounding solution than the iRock.

edit: oh yeah, one last note. the size of the city you live in makes a big difference in the sound quality of the iRock. since the iRock is a radio transmitter, large cities are more likely to have a strong radio signal on or near the iRock's 4 frequencies. this will have a noticable effect on your sound quality.

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Wouldn't broadcasting your iPod through a FM frequency reduce the sound quality?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yup, rebroadcasting the signal to 'catch' it with your FM receiver is going to knock a bit out of the original. If it's your best/only option then I'd say to try it anyway because you probably just want to hear your music...any degree of sound quality is an added bonus.

I'm not really trying to be an ass about this thing or the tape converter, just wanted to make people think about a better way to do this.

When I get back into town I'm going to go pull out the manual to my Sony mini-disc receiver and find out how possible it is to hook the iPod into the auxilliary input. I dread the thought of digging that joker back out of the dash, but would do it if I could hook an iPod into it.

That would give me another reason to buy an iPod.