Maricopa County Attorney bans employees from getting new iPhones, says Apple is 'on the side of ter

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    BTeboe said:
    Perhaps Mr. Cook is getting a kickback from terrorists. Based on their refusal to help law enforcement with cracking this one particular phone, I will never buy another Apple product again.
    Good. It's nice to know that if I ever decide on a life of crime, you'll be a willing victim that I can steal from.
    calispinnyd
  • Reply 42 of 97
    Apparently there's no sensitive data on the phones issued to Maricopa County employees, so there's no up-side to a phone whose maker is insistent on protecting the security of the data on them.
    ewtheckmanSpamSandwichcali
  • Reply 43 of 97
    Some would say that Maricopa County has it's own share of domestic terrorists, starting with the sheriff.
    ronncali
  • Reply 44 of 97
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So it turns out conservatives really are Fascists down deep and want a totalitarian government just like the lunatic fringe liberals want. Both sides want total control over your life.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 45 of 97
    Time for Mr Montgomery and his fellow right-wing nut jobs to have a little more publicity.
    ronn
  • Reply 46 of 97
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    "If Apple wants to be the official smartphone of terrorists and criminals, there will be a consequence," he said.
    Arizona is one of the State with the least restrictive gun control laws. And this maroon is saying that Apple is supporting the terrorist? The last I checked, terrorist kills more citizens with guns than iPhones.

Now I'm not for banning all guns and do believe government should have restrictions and control over gun sales and ownership. But how is Arizona gun laws (or lack there of) not supporting terrorist? 

Among other things, Arizona does not:

http://smartgunlaws.org/arizona-state-law-summary/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Arizona
    edited February 2016 anantksundaramronnpunkndrublic
  • Reply 47 of 97
    "Positioning their refusal to cooperate as having anything to do with privacy interests is a corporate PR stunt and ignores the 4th Amendment protections afforded by our Constitution." A comment that illustrates that genius has limits but ignorance knows no bounds.
    edited February 2016 danh
  • Reply 48 of 97
    romanmar said:
    Someone needs to hack his android phone, and post his embarrassing photos online to teach him a lesson:)
    County Attorney.. well we know he has nothing to do before his pension kicks in. He probably still carries a beeper. 
  • Reply 49 of 97
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Actually, I'm completely OK with this. If you work for government you should have zero expectation of privacy.

In fact, this "gentleman" and all politicians and government employees should be outfitted with 24/7 body cameras and microphones so any time they violate our millions of laws and regulations the evidence will be right there. It would save billions in needless investigations, end harassment and corruption and expose to Americans the real threats in this country.

Plus, I'd like to see the collection of private data on Americans by government illegal, purely for our protection.

Ah. So the whereabouts of law enforcement personnel on official business should be known at all times publicly? Got it.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 50 of 97
    To even think something like that and take it seriously.  What a bunch of morons. 
  • Reply 51 of 97
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    decondos said:
    Yippee, our first dumb-ass knee-jerk (politician) reaction.
    Can't wait until the first time one of his employee's phones gets hacked and information is published on the web. What an a-hole.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    Wait, is he calling government employees "terrorists"? Government organizations have the authority to make the same considerations we make. Is it important to me that this phone protect my/our information from unauthorized access? (Why are my paragraph breaks disappearing?)
    Pretty sure he just announced that his government employees are all suspected evil-doers and possible terrorists. They cannot be trusted. On that point, I guess I am not going to argue. Although..and I'm not sure on this...I thought there was an enterprise system in iOS that allows employers' access. Rather needed in some cases involving public records requests. 
    george li said:
    if this gentleman's logic holds, we should stop using guns fighting the terrorists... because guns are in fact the official weapon of terrorists and criminals. Sticks and Knives for our field FBI agents and law enforcement... make sense? ugh.. dumb politicians! 
    Yep. It's weird that some politicians that are staunchly gun-ownership without ever having a restriction because 2nd amendment aren't on Apple's side here. 
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 53 of 97
    george li said:
    if this gentleman's logic holds, we should stop using guns fighting the terrorists... because guns are in fact the official weapon of terrorists and criminals. Sticks and Knives for our field FBI agents and law enforcement... make sense? ugh.. dumb politicians! 
    Yeah, or maybe they can force the gun manufacturers to build in a feature that allows the gun to be remotely disabled, and then they could use those guns, because they would no longer be the terrorists' guns of choice.
  • Reply 54 of 97
    You know...it occurred to me that the FBI can't be asking for this cracking to be done for free. Seems like that is an eminent domain take. Not this that is impossible - it surely could be done - but it would take time and further actions. Maybe Apple simply needs to price this work appropriately? Like...oh...$500B or so.
    cali
  • Reply 55 of 97
    decondos said:
    Yippee, our first dumb-ass knee-jerk (politician) reaction.
    Sorry but the very first dumb-ass knee-jerk reaction came from Tim Cook.  Protect the terrorists 'right to privacy' Tim.. go for it.  Bill Gates, ever heard of him, says Cook is out of line... but it's all marketing anyhow.  "Gee, I'll buy an iPhone because mom and dad won't be able to see the ass photos I'm sending to my boyfriend"
  • Reply 56 of 97
    Only Windows phones allowed since Bill G says Apple should unlock for Feds.
  • Reply 57 of 97

Actually, I'm completely OK with this. If you work for government you should have zero expectation of privacy.

In fact, this "gentleman" and all politicians and government employees should be outfitted with 24/7 body cameras and microphones so any time they violate our millions of laws and regulations the evidence will be right there. It would save billions in needless investigations, end harassment and corruption and expose to Americans the real threats in this country.

Plus, I'd like to see the collection of private data on Americans by government illegal, purely for our protection.
    Let's start with enforcing the border laws.  That will keep you a lot safer than any perceived threat to your so called privacy.  Do you realize that you are on the internet?  You have no privacy... the guy on the other side of the screen can see everything you're doing, get over it.  There are about 500 people right now that can look at all of your credit card information, comments made online, analysts who can determine your political, religious, purchase and lifestyle preferences.  
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 58 of 97
    Someone should remind this wise person that (1) Apple has spent mega millions of dollars to build facilities in Arizona thereby enabling a large number of jobs for residents of Arizona and (2) he has the authority to add software onto these phones to allow them access if they so choose. I am sure there are many other States that would welcome Apple's business.
    SpamSandwichcali
  • Reply 59 of 97
    Maybe it's time Apple started running that 1984 Super Bowl commercial again.
    palominecaliewtheckmanspinnyd
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Here we go, another round of brilliant insight from someone who doesn't know how to turn his computer on. I'm sure he'll also enlighten us on global warming and the secret to life.