Maricopa County Attorney bans employees from getting new iPhones, says Apple is 'on the side of ter

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Ironically, the federal government shifted over to iPhones and away from Blackberries because iPhones are more secure. Now iPhones won't be secure, anymore, if Apple hacks them.
    ewtheckmanspinnyd
  • Reply 62 of 97
    So here's what will happen if Apple is forced to crack the iPhone: 1) Terrorists and criminals of all kinds will switch to Android. 2) They will hire a hacker to write a non-Google-approved, messaging application based on their own proprietary encryption algorithm that neither Google nor law enforcement can crack. 3) They will distribute that App internally, since it is quite easy to side-load Android Apps without going thru the official Google App store. Only the criminals will have the key to how it works. 4) Criminals will continue their encrypted communications while Google will get to claim "It's not our fault, we don't have control over that App!" 5) Apple will lose out on sales. 6) In the end, the criminals still win.
    ewtheckmanspinnyd
  • Reply 63 of 97
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    I can't believe this guy has the audacity to call this a PR stunt. Seriously? ...
    His own announcement is the PR stunt actually...

PR = Pretty Ridiculous

• Reply 64 of 97
    eightzero said:
    Actually, I'm completely OK with this. If you work for government you should have zero expectation of privacy.

In fact, this "gentleman" and all politicians and government employees should be outfitted with 24/7 body cameras and microphones so any time they violate our millions of laws and regulations the evidence will be right there. It would save billions in needless investigations, end harassment and corruption and expose to Americans the real threats in this country.

Plus, I'd like to see the collection of private data on Americans by government illegal, purely for our protection.

Ah. So the whereabouts of law enforcement personnel on official business should be known at all times publicly? Got it.
    Absolutely. Should they not also be presumed guilty, just like the citizenry?
    ewtheckmanspinnyd
  • Reply 65 of 97
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Attorneys. Standing up for people's rights unless they don't like the outcome, then screw their rights.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Maybe it's time Apple started running that 1984 Super Bowl commercial again.
    Slightly updated but it would still be pertinent in its original format.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    So an AG that doesn't understand legal rights such as Apple is asserting is NOT "aiding terorists"? Moron

Oh and
    "Montgomery added that prosecutors have regularly secured warrants to unlock encrypted smartphones, "including iPhones sold prior to the release of the iPhone 7." It's not immediately clear why the office chose to refer to an as yet-unannounced handset." Because the fool doesn't understand the difference between a phone model number and an iOS version number?
  • Reply 68 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Deezy2016 said:
    So here's what will happen if Apple is forced to crack the iPhone: 1) Terrorists and criminals of all kinds will switch to Android. 2) They will hire a hacker to write a non-Google-approved, messaging application based on their own proprietary encryption algorithm that neither Google nor law enforcement can crack. 3) They will distribute that App internally, since it is quite easy to side-load Android Apps without going thru the official Google App store. Only the criminals will have the key to how it works. 4) Criminals will continue their encrypted communications while Google will get to claim "It's not our fault, we don't have control over that App!" 5) Apple will lose out on sales. 6) In the end, the criminals still win.
    Encrypted messaging apps already exist, and many are cross platform. 
  • Reply 69 of 97
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    you can't fix stupid, but you can hack into it...
  • Reply 70 of 97
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Bill Montgomery is on the side of the despots.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    Whatever your view of the FBI v Apple debate, this guys announcement is a PR stunt and also paints a huge target over Phoenix that just screams, "Please hack our data!" to all of the vigilante hackers out there.
    icoco3pscooter63ewtheckman
  • Reply 72 of 97
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    The guy will apparently say anything for publicity. If he had any brains, he'd simply make sure mobile management software is being used on any county-issued devices (including Androids, if they're stupid enough to buy those!)

If I worked in those county offices, I'd proudly brandish my personal iPhone. Maybe put a big middle finger sticker on the back.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Screw Maricopa county. I've never been there, and I have no intentions of ever visiting.

Let 'em all switch to junky Android phones, it'll end up being their loss.

• Reply 74 of 97
    You may not want to talk to me because in Bill Montgomery eyes, I'M AN EFEING TERRORIST. I believe in my right to privacy. Stay out of MY phone. It's MY information, not yours. I was generally trusting of the government, but the government effed things up in the 00's and 10's with the Patriot Act and the NSA. I would probably be more lax with my right to privacy, but the Bush administration and sadly, the Obama Administration, continue with the idea that MY information is far to easy to obtain, so let's do it. Let's throw in some encryption and see how easy it is to get MY information.
    ewtheckmanspinnyd
  • Reply 75 of 97
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    JamesBB said:
    Wonder how long he will stay in office after this... doubt it is even legal.
    Are you freaking kidding? Arizona is a police state they don't even fire people who steal tax payers money. If politicians were fired for illegal activity we'd have just a handful left. They are NOT saints nor here for our interests. WAKE UP!

eightzero said:
    Actually, I'm completely OK with this. If you work for government you should have zero expectation of privacy. 

In fact, this "gentleman" and all politicians and government employees should be outfitted with 24/7 body cameras and microphones so any time they violate our millions of laws and regulations the evidence will be right there. It would save billions in needless investigations, end harassment and corruption and expose to Americans the real threats in this country.

Plus, I'd like to see the collection of private data on Americans by government illegal, purely for our protection.

Ah. So the whereabouts of law enforcement personnel on official business should be known at all times publicly? Got it.
    ABSOLUTELY. THEY ARE PUBLIC SERVANTS not these Gods you worship.

Worshipping police is what got kids raped, elderly killed and disabled people beat.

I live in Arizona and let me tell you the police have no bounds to brutality. In my neighborhood 2 cops beat and used a tazer on a 9 year old girl for fun. ZERO prosecution for the cops and the little girl got ZERO representation because she was an orphan who couldn't afford a lawyer. We had people like you worshipping the police and making excuses for these 2 grown men repeating the old cliche "the police did the right thing".

Almost all traces of this incident have been removed from the internet but look up "A. Teyechea cop beats 9 year old".

If we continue to put public servants and politicias above us then don't complain when grandpa is beat on the street over a traffic stop or your daughter is raped for fun with no prosecution for the police who commit the crimes.

Police who commit crimes(updated daily) and the politicians who stand with them: copblock.org
  • Reply 76 of 97
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Methinks this dude is preparing for reelection.
  • Reply 77 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali said:
    JamesBB said:
    Wonder how long he will stay in office after this... doubt it is even legal.
    Are you freaking kidding? Arizona is a police state they don't even fire people who steal tax payers money. If politicians were fired for illegal activity we'd have just a handful left. They are NOT saints nor here for our interests. WAKE UP!

eightzero said:ABSOLUTELY. THEY ARE PUBLIC SERVANTS not these Gods you worship.

Worshipping police is what got kids raped, elderly killed and disabled people beat.

I live in Arizona and let me tell you the police have no bounds to brutality. In my neighborhood 2 cops beat and used a tazer on a 9 year old girl for fun. ZERO prosecution for the cops and the little girl got ZERO representation because she was an orphan who couldn't afford a lawyer. We had people like you worshipping the police and making excuses for these 2 grown men repeating the old cliche "the police did the right thing".

Almost all traces of this incident have been removed from the internet but look up "A. Teyechea cop beats 9 year old".

If we continue to put public servants and politicias above us then don't complain when grandpa is beat on the street over a traffic stop or your daughter is raped for fun with no prosecution for the police who commit the crimes.

Police who commit crimes(updated daily) and the politicians who stand with them: copblock.org
    Who needs to afford a lawyer for a lawsuit? They get paid a percentage of the settlement. 
  • Reply 78 of 97
    "Après nous, le déluge!" Mr. Montgomery added.

It is not wholly unexpected, of course. One hopes that Apple took such inevitable blowback heavily into consideration when deciding its course of action. That said, there is a reason why many in Southern Arizona call the county seat "Maricopastan," as it is, indeed, a bastion of reactionary politicians, many of them eternal priests of the Mormon church. Undoubtedly, those 366 iPhones will be immediately replaced using money from the dwindling pot of education dollars the state of Arizona loves to pilfer. 
    Agreed.
    Besides, the town of Maricopa itself smells like a fetid, toxic pile of manure most of the time. No wonder houses are so cheap there--can't breathe the air.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    "...puts Apple on the side of terrorists instead of on the side of public safety..." No. On the contrary, that's exactly why Apple is not agreeing to create a back-door. What a jack hole. I'm officially banning Maricopa County. How's that for a consequence? 
  • Reply 80 of 97
    lawrance said:
    "...puts Apple on the side of terrorists instead of on the side of public safety..." No. On the contrary, that's exactly why Apple is not agreeing to create a back-door. What a jack hole. I'm officially banning Maricopa County. How's that for a consequence? 
    I like it. Hereinafter "said" county.