Obama administration, FBI must act to restore US government's credibility in Apple's encryption deb

Comments

• Reply 21 of 126
    It wouldn't surprise me if the FBI originally had full access to the iPhone 5C in question and decided lock it with a passcode just to create the current conflict with Apple.
    FBI motto "Never let a tragedy go unexploited"
    wetlanderbrakkensince84
  • Reply 22 of 126
    What's with all the 1 post posts recently??!! There seems to be a massive influx of clueless fools to this forum all of a sudden. I know Russia uses social media and forums to spread it's propaganda, but FBI too? Surely not :)
    anantksundaramcpsrouncommonasianpscooter63snovacaliicoco3stevehpalominewetlander
  • Reply 23 of 126
    Apple needs to help solve a crime just as every citizen and institution is required to help solve a crime. This is a basic tenant of what makes up a society.
  • Reply 24 of 126
    Worst case scenario: FBI forces Apple to move ALL operations offshore, where they are not subject to Federal overreach and retaliation. Tim Cook understands that if it becomes known that the Feds can access everybody's dick pics whenever they want, iPhone sales are going to go off a cliff. If there is a way of defeating security, it WILL be used, with or without a warrant, but the Feds and by everybody else that can bribe somebody to find out how it works.
    brakken
  • Reply 25 of 126
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    this article is nothing but corp propaganda. oh by this article we just need to turn over our lives to corp's likeapple because corp have never did anything wrong to the enviroment, welfare of the public or the economy. This piece is opinion not fact. Again the evil government of the people have these stupid laws like laws against pedophiles, rapist, murders, terrorist where god forbid they try to get info from a stupid phone to protect the public. such evil creeps. i mean this evil government created laws against corp like child labor law, min wage, OSHA, EPA and others like where it is criminal to harm children, rape humans, traffic in sex, etc.. Well those against this evil government of the people will be happy to know NAMBLA is on Cooks side, cant have that evil government looking on phones to see all of their pics of boys can we. I guess Cook must be a guest member now. Well let apple keep making all that profit because i see how they care about the welfare of children and women
    You mention laws against pedophiles, rapists, murders, etc. What laws does the FBI pull on Apple? A generic law written over 200 years ago that they are trying to use to stomp all over everyone's rights and liberties. Sure, sure, the FBI has no interest in setting a legal precedent, but gosh just maybe they would take advantage of a legal precedent... if there was one. We'll think about that later. Hey, there's no need for the lawmakers to get involved right now.
    /sarcasm (if you were too dense to realize it)
    edited February 2016 icoco3wetlanderbrakkensince84bancho
  • Reply 26 of 126
    apple ][ said:
    Those clowns can not be trusted...
    Trump, on the other hand, he CERTAINLY can be trusted!!!
  • Reply 27 of 126
    While I don't trust the government and the FBI with our private information, I trust ISIS even less.  Perhaps if Apple (God forbid) is ever the victim of a terrorist attack they'll feel differently.
  • Reply 28 of 126
    mfHussain said:
    Apple needs to help solve a crime just as every citizen and institution is required to help solve a crime. This is a basic tenant of what makes up a society.
    "Tenant"?

Got it.
    ai46cnocbuiicoco3palominefracjony0since84bancho
  • Reply 29 of 126

Apple has the social responsibility to cooperate with the government on the safety of its citizenry. Surely they have the expertise to unlock one phone without creating a backdoor software, which can then be destroyed after its specific use for one phone. If one more death occurs from this one unlocked phone, Apple would have blood on their hands.

• Reply 30 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    spice-boy said:
    If (god forbid) President Trump told Apple to cave would you still have his picture next to your name?
    I disagree with the person in my avatar on this particular issue.

Many technologically ignorant people and especially many older people do not fully grasp or comprehend this situation.
    ewtheckmanbrakken
  • Reply 31 of 126
    Unbelievable, all the fly-bys, the one-and-done'ers crawling out of the woodwork on this topic.

Hey DED, maybe you can work with the AI editorial staff to do an investigative report on whether there's a pattern to their IP addresses/locations?
    cpsrouncommonasianpscooter63mwhitecaliewtheckmanicoco3palominewetlanderbobschlob
  • Reply 32 of 126
    El2016 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Those clowns can not be trusted...
    Trump, on the other hand, he CERTAINLY can be trusted!!!
    You mean King Donald? Historically his approach to getting what he wants is to harass and sue. Not sure how the All Writs Act would help him there, but then again, he's King Donald. His clothes are made of the finest threads and his speech is of the utmost eloquence.
    edited February 2016 ai46
  • Reply 33 of 126
    In my opinion Cook should had managed in a completely different way:
    First, to admit that since they can do it, they have to do it because of judge order, even if they don't like it.
    Second, to immediately release an iOS update that prevent any future use of this technique (or similar), even if attempted by Apple itself.
    The best for all parties with bonus increased privacy.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    Hey DED, maybe you can work with the AI editorial staff to do an investigative report on whether there's a pattern to their IP addresses/locations?

They must all be coming from the same place I think. There's no way that it's totally random or  by chance and that all of these one post posters have all of a sudden found their way here.
    edited February 2016 punkndrublicpscooter63snovacalistevehwetlanderjony0
  • Reply 35 of 126

Apple has the social responsibility to cooperate with the government on the safety of its citizenry. Surely they have the expertise to unlock one phone without creating a backdoor software, which can then be destroyed after its specific use for one phone. If one more death occurs from this one unlocked phone, Apple would have blood on their hands.

If Apple creates it, that sets the precedence. The software doesn't just disappear. Or if it does, the precedence doesn't go away and Apple will just have to create it again. New York City alone has 175 iPhones it needs help with. How many do you suppose China and Saudi Arabia have in their possession? Someone will eventually leak it.
    I know, you don't care. You've decided already. You're a troll and likely work for a special interest group.
    edited February 2016 hlee1169ai46kevin kee
  • Reply 36 of 126

I always feel the people that are so concerned about the government seeing our personal data must have something to hide.  When are people going to realize that using any type of electronic device or the internet to document your lives and personal data are no longer a secret.  If you don't want anyone to see it don't put it on your phone, computer or the cloud.  Use a good old fashion notebook that would need a search warrant.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 37 of 126
    cpsro said:

New York City alone has 175 iPhones it needs help with. 
    I assume that not all of those 175 suspects are dead, so they should use other methods to gain access, without compromising my security and the security of all other Apple users. Let them waterboard the suspects, I don't care. Just do not mess with my security.
  • Reply 38 of 126
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    vbmalone said:

I always feel the people that are so concerned about the government seeing our personal data must have something to hide.  When are people going to realize that using any type of electronic device or the internet to document your lives and personal data are no longer a secret.  If you don't want anyone to see it don't put it on your phone, computer or the cloud.  Use a good old fashion notebook that would need a search warrant.

Oh so you don't think that I should hide my Credit, Financial, Health information, family, friend and business contacts, prescriptions, family photos... 

People like you are really tiresome, and your argument is bullshit. But you already knew that didn't you?
    jfc1138mwhiteai46pscooter63ewtheckmanstevehpalominewetlanderfracjony0
  • Reply 39 of 126
    Of all the organizations one could choose to fight a public relations war with, Apple would be my last choice. If Comey keeps on this track, I think that between the botched investigation, disingenuousness, a base emotional appeal, and an unprecedented use of the All Writs Act, he'll end up resigning amid scandal. If the United States government can compel private companies and private citizens to do work on their behalf, it is truly breaking down the rights and freedoms it swears to upload and protect. Ordering Apple to break its own encryption is like ordering a safe maker to break into their own safe. Ordering privative companies and private citizens to work on the government's behalf is a hallmark of fascism. Just ask Mercedes Benz or Bavarian Motor Works. We hope people understand just how important this issue is and how it is.
    edited February 2016 palomine
  • Reply 40 of 126
    bradipao said:
    In my opinion Cook should had managed in a completely different way:
    First, to admit that since they can do it, they have to do it because of judge order, even if they don't like it.
    Second, to immediately release an iOS update that prevent any future use of this technique (or similar), even if attempted by Apple itself.
    The best for all parties with bonus increased privacy.
    I'm sure that approach was considered. Here's what's wrong with it. First, submitting to the FBI's request sets a legal precedent for doing far more than just handing over a key to a safe deposit box, because the key doesn't exist. (Undoubtably Apple thought that through many years ago!) Second, releasing an iOS update that prevents use of current potential techniques would just mean Apple would be compelled to work even harder to help the government break through the security. Third, I'm sure there's more, I'm just not an expert.

If the government dislikes the current situation enough, then Congress and the President can get off their collective asses and enact legislation to prevent it from happening in the future. This PR approach of the FBI is utterly ridiculous and flouts the law.
    edited February 2016