Obama administration, FBI must act to restore US government's credibility in Apple's encryption deb

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:

apple ][ said:
    Those clowns can not be trusted, and the integrity of Apple's devices and the security of their customers takes precedence over dishonest and foolish demands from incompetent govt agencies.
    If (god forbid) President Trump told Apple to cave would you still have his picture next to your name?
    Trump already did worse than that.
  • Reply 62 of 126
    If you have it developed on one computer and it never leaves that one computer, I don't see the problem it having it. I agree that that we shouldn't being giving up our freedoms in exchange for security but as long as Apple doesn't force a new iOS version to all iOS users, I don't see how my freedom is infringed upon. I'm more worried about the Government digging their hands further in to my pocket with taxes than I am them wanting to get in to my iPhone.
  • Reply 63 of 126
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Attack of the Idiot One-Posters!! Part III
    icoco3
  • Reply 64 of 126
    Riversong said:
    Why would anyone expect an "Apple insider" to say anything different.

As a lifelong opponent of government overreach, I've been following this debate and found Apple's statements to be disingenuous and self-serving, NOT those of the FBI.
    You are a lifelong opponent of government overreach? But you side with the FBI in this? Do you know what opponent means? LOL fool
  • Reply 65 of 126
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    vbmalone said:

I always feel the people that are so concerned about the government seeing our personal data must have something to hide.  When are people going to realize that using any type of electronic device or the internet to document your lives and personal data are no longer a secret.  If you don't want anyone to see it don't put it on your phone, computer or the cloud.  Use a good old fashion notebook that would need a search warrant.

You need to go live in China or Russian for a while and then revisit your statements.
    edited February 2016 ewtheckmanpalomine
  • Reply 66 of 126
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    sog35 said:
    I will explain the issue this way.

Imagine if it was possible to build a machine that had the ability to read a person's mind. The machine could read a person's mind remotely, from anywhere in the United States. Do you think it would be a good idea to build such a machine?

Lets say an accused murderer refuses to testify. And the police destroyed the only evidence that could convict him. Would building a mind reading machine be justified to find out the truth?  Would building a machine of freighting power be justified to solve a single murder case? What if this machine or the plans to build such a machine leaked out?  Even if the machine was destroyed after the trial the knowledge of how to build it would remain. I'm pretty sure that most rational people would agree that such a machine should never be built.

The FBI and US government is asking Apple to build a similiarily dangerous and powerful machine. The ability to hack into any iPhone in the United States is dangerous. And like the mind reading machine its not a matter of if a bad guy gets his hands on it.  Its only a matter of time.  
    Is that like the US government refusing to allow Iran to build a nuclear power station?
  • Reply 67 of 126
    Regarding the timing of the FBI's anti-privacy initiative: The FBI had the iPhone 5c for 10 weeks before launching this latest initiative, and had issued the same demand (request) to Apple on eight prior occasions since October without going public. Then on Saturday, February 13, Supreme Court Justice Scalia died in Texas. Scalia was a 'strict constructionist' of the Constitution, opposed to experimenting with the Bill of Rights. Almost immediately after Scalia's death -- Tuesday, February 16 -- the FBI was in court demanding a Writ to hack iPhones. Scalia: "There is nothing new in the realization that the Constitution sometimes insulates the criminality of a few in order to protect the privacy of all of us."
    ewtheckmanicoco3dick applebaumanantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 68 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    snova said:
    Is that like the US government refusing to allow Iran to build a nuclear power station?
    The US govt gave those terrorists 150 BILLION dollars. The US govt is obviously not too concerned about the safety or security of its citizens.
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 69 of 126
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I have a good source... most of the 1 posters are from a government dark hole.
    Ask Appleinsider about the hack attempts they've had in the last few days.
    In other words, government abusing their powers in a subversive attempt to advance their agenda.  How ironic...
  • Reply 70 of 126
    Kudos to Tim Cook for affirming Apple's core principles.  Market share is far too important to risk losing for a few dozen dead Americans.
    Last time I checked Apple wasn't accused of murder. Your chain of login is fear mongering at best. Let me guess, you probably want to sue gun manufacturers for the crimes of gun owners. Let's dumb down American security so it's equal for both good and bad guys. 
  • Reply 71 of 126
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    snova said:
    sog35 said:
    I will explain the issue this way.

Imagine if it was possible to build a machine that had the ability to read a person's mind. The machine could read a person's mind remotely, from anywhere in the United States. Do you think it would be a good idea to build such a machine?

Lets say an accused murderer refuses to testify. And the police destroyed the only evidence that could convict him. Would building a mind reading machine be justified to find out the truth?  Would building a machine of freighting power be justified to solve a single murder case? What if this machine or the plans to build such a machine leaked out?  Even if the machine was destroyed after the trial the knowledge of how to build it would remain. I'm pretty sure that most rational people would agree that such a machine should never be built.

The FBI and US government is asking Apple to build a similiarily dangerous and powerful machine. The ability to hack into any iPhone in the United States is dangerous. And like the mind reading machine its not a matter of if a bad guy gets his hands on it.  Its only a matter of time.  
    Russia was starting two nuclear power plants in December of last year for Iran, but I think that Russia will take responsibility for fuel/ fuel security, so in essence, the U.S.has already agreed to let that happen. 
  • Reply 72 of 126

LongTom said:
    Yeah, calling the FBI director and, by extension, the attorney general, liars and demanding apologies is real mature. The idea that Apple is drawing a line in the sand to protect the contents of a murderer's phone is perverse. This is clearly an attempt by Apple to burnish their cred with those pervaded by knee-jerk anti-government sentiment. Maybe they can sell a few extra I-phones to the Bundys.

The FBI made this public, not Apple. It's backfired in their face. 
  • Reply 73 of 126
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Damn these single post trolls seem to pollute everything. 
    icoco3jony0
  • Reply 74 of 126
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Nice try, Apple Insider. But no cigar...or whatever it is folks like you smoke. Now it's time to come clean and help your Uncle Sam close this case on those mass murderers. Or maybe you're on their side. Maybe you think mass murder is cool, hmmmmm?
    The case is closed. They're dead. 
  • Reply 75 of 126
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    What's with all the 1 post posts recently??!! There seems to be a massive influx of clueless fools to this forum all of a sudden. I know Russia uses social media and forums to spread it's propaganda, but FBI too? Surely not :)
    There is probably a small company in India that can be subcontracted to do this - much like the dial a DNS attack companies..
    punkndrublicsteveh
  • Reply 76 of 126
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member

apple ][ said:
    snova said:
    The US govt gave those terrorists 150 BILLION dollars. The US govt is obviously not too concerned about the safety or security of its citizens.
    A little homework would go a long way; it's Iran's money. It's U.S. accounts were frozen in 1979. By agreement, they are getting the funds back.

For the record, Iran has been fighting terrorists, generally Saudi Sponsored ones, and they do support Hisbollah, a political party with a militia that has been fighting in support of Syria, whom they also support and whom the U.S. considers terrorists. At the same time, the U.S. has be supporting various authoritarian governments who support forces connected with Al Qaeda whom are absolutely terrorists. Everybody in the Middle East is supporting or has supported terrorists, including the U.S.

As a fact, Iranian and Hisbollah forces acting at times with U.S. or Russian air support, have been very effective against ISIS. In fact, it looks like the war to overthrow Bashar al-Assad isn't going to work out for the U.S. or it's allies, and ISIS has been getting rolled back in the territory of northern Syria adjacent to Turkey.

I get that people supporting Trump are literally unable to comprehend foreign policy; I'm pretty sure that if Trump gets elected, he won't be in a position to do the crazy shit that he is spouting.
    edited February 2016 anantksundaram
  • Reply 77 of 126
    If Apple was smart they would open the phone before there is a court ruling that sets a precedent.
  • Reply 78 of 126
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Ricardoh said:
    If Apple was smart they would [create govtOS that would allow a backdoor to be installed onto every Apple device in the world running iOS] before there is a court ruling that sets a precedent.
    Sounds perfect¡ Set no precedent, just make everyone's system completely ineffective from those that would seek to do harm to others. What a great idea¡
  • Reply 79 of 126
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    tmay said:
    I get that people supporting Trump are literally unable to comprehend foreign policy; I'm pretty sure that if Trump gets elected, he won't be in a position to do the crazy shit that he is spouting.
    I understand it very well, and Iran is just as much of an enemy as ISIS is. I don't make distinctions between various shades and stripes of terrorists in that region. They're all bad and they're all enemies and I support destroying them all.
  • Reply 80 of 126
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    El2016 said:
    apple ][ said:
    Those clowns can not be trusted...
    Trump, on the other hand, he CERTAINLY can be trusted!!!
    Only to put his head up his own ass and declare the inside yuge (sic) and the best
    punkndrublic