Apple pushes 7.2.1 software update to third-generation Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Thursday issued a surprise software update for the third-generation Apple TV, closing several security vulnerabilities in the media set-top.

These include holes that would allow someone to see some iCloud data, or the Wi-Fi networks a person had previously connected to, Apple explained in release notes. Others might allow hackers to run malicious code, or read apps' managed preferences.

The v7.2.1 update can be downloaded automatically for people who have that option enabled, but otherwise must be triggered by launching the update process in the Settings menu.

While the third-gen Apple TV is still on sale for $69, updates for the device are rare, as Apple has shifted its focus to the fourth-gen model that launched in October 2015. The latter offers Siri voice commands and full iOS-style apps, whereas the third-gen model is dependent on remote/iOS input can only run basic apps pushed out by Apple.

The flow of third-gen apps has essentially stopped, which may suggest that Apple will discontinue the model if and when it launches a fifth-gen device, if not earlier.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I have 4th Gen Apple-TV so does not affet me but this is why it's Apple not Anfroid. Besides, my iphone, I also have LG optimus G e970 and those android idiot LG never even upgraded passed their installed OEM OS(JelleyBean) shipped with the phone.What a Shame. Kudos to Apple, customers Moto - "No past devices left behind"...
    edited February 2016 cali
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I wish the 4th gen worked as reliably as the 3rd gen system. I'm constantly pestered with problems that break up the show, flash snow on the screen, and then goes back to the show.  Same thing can happen with music, too.

Apple quality has fallen in recent years.
    photoshop59
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I need my 3rd gen Apple TV to keep working because the 4th gen doesn't have an audio out port! It only has HDMI and I pass sound to my stereo system for much better sound than my TV would give me.

Another Apple disappointment!!

I truly wish Steve Jobs would come back from the dead and KICK some SERIOUS BUTT !!
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 4 of 27
    After having used the ATV4 for several months now in my living room, I fired up one of my three ATV3s that are located in other rooms recently. I had forgotten how snappy and easy to use the ATV3 is compared to the ATV4.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    stevenoz said:
    I need my 3rd gen Apple TV to keep working because the 4th gen doesn't have an audio out port! It only has HDMI and I pass sound to my stereo system for much better sound than my TV would give me.

I truly wish Steve Jobs would come back from the dead and KICK some SERIOUS BUTT !!
    Please spare the violin, buy a $20 part you need and you can use the Apple 4th gen

nolamacguyiosenthusiastunbeliever2
  • Reply 6 of 27
    wbeem said:
    I wish the 4th gen worked as reliably as the 3rd gen system. I'm constantly pestered with problems that break up the show, flash snow on the screen, and then goes back to the show.  Same thing can happen with music, too.

Al I hear is, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, with a "Jobs" used as exclamation point?

Jobs let through horrible software and even hardware on his watch.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    stevenoz said:

This is a non-issue. There are plenty of workarounds.
    edited February 2016 nolamacguyiosenthusiastredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 27

wbeem said:

Have never had any of the problems you're describing. Not even once. Might want to check your cables or whatever is receiving the connection, whether it be your tv or receiver. 
    nolamacguyiosenthusiast
  • Reply 9 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wbeem said:

Rubbish. I have the ATV4 and no such problems exist. Your individual ATV4 may be a lemon but there is certainly NO generalization argument to be made here. And your assertion that Apple quality has fallen is pure regurgitated tripe from an imaginary past that never existed.
    nolamacguyiosenthusiast
  • Reply 10 of 27
    stevenoz said:

So why do you stay with the platform at all? Buy a damn Roku and be done with it.
    iosenthusiast
  • Reply 11 of 27
    zroger73 said:
    After having used the ATV4 for several months now in my living room, I fired up one of my three ATV3s that are located in other rooms recently. I had forgotten how snappy and easy to use the ATV3 is compared to the ATV4.
    More blathering nonsense. The ATV4 runs rings around the ATV3 as far as performance goes. The difference is glaringly apparent.
    nolamacguyredgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 27
    stevenoz said:
    Why not run HDMI to your TV and pass thru the digital audio from the TV to your receiver?

Instead of having two cables from each source (one to the tv and one to the receiver), it is one cable from each device to the TV and one cable from the TV to the receiver.

Added benefit: No reason to have to switch inputs on the receiver based on what you are watching.
    nolamacguyredgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 27
    stevenoz said:

If you were really interested in much better sound, you would be using HDMI anyway, not optical. 
  • Reply 14 of 27
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    stevenoz said:

If you were really interested in much better sound, you would be using HDMI anyway, not optical. 
    Now that is not true, optical is as pure anode of transmission as any; hdmi, copper
  • Reply 15 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    rgh71 said:
    Now that is not true, optical is as pure anode of transmission as any; hdmi, copper
    They're both digital, but in one case you have to convert you're bit and bytes into light and then convert it back, a bit useless if you ask me, but harmless for the Apple TV.
    For stereo there is no difference, optical transmit uncompressed stereo.
    If your using 5.1, you have to transmit it compressed over optical, which is not the case for HDMI.
    This is only a problem if you use Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio,or uncompressed LPCM which are uncompressed and only seen really in Blue Ray disks.

So, for all usage that an Apple TV will be used for, there is no difference between optical and hdmi, though most newer receivers, and end devices are obviously made to get hdmi and optical is just an afterthought (it's a connection method that is fading fast). There is no flow control and communication between components with optical.

A conversion box hdm to optical is pretty cheap $20-30 and will convert your output into optical.

• Reply 16 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

wbeem said:

Have never had any of the problems you're describing. Not even once. Might want to check your cables or whatever is receiving the connection, whether it be your tv or receiver. 
    Yes, this seems more like the receiver is losing the signal coming out of the Apple TV (I've seen this kind of thing from several receivers, output switching is always prickly).
  • Reply 17 of 27
    stevenoz said:

The current leader at Apple is a polarizing failure.  He doesn't deliver the goods from a leadership, or marketing or product perspective.   Let's hope the shareholders, board etc come to their senses, and replace this hack with someone who can get the share prices going up again.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 18 of 27
    stevenoz said:

Get a better stereo. Most good stereos these days have HDMI ports that can then go to the TV.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    stevenoz said:

So you use the optical audio out from your tv to receiver. I use a sound bar in my bedroom this very way with a 3rd gen ATV. Now can we please let Steve rest in peace. My goodness. 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 20 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

wbeem said:

That sounds like an HDMI handshake problem, not the ATV ?  I use mine almost everyday and I don't have problems like this. 
    redgeminipa