Rev. Jesse Jackson lauds Tim Cook's stand against FBI demands

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
Chiming in on the Apple-FBI encryption debate, Rev. Jesse Jackson on Thursday came out in opposition of the U.S. government's order demanding Apple create an iPhone encryption workaround, while praising CEO Tim Cook's fight for civil liberties.

Source: Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow PUSH Coalition

Jackson in a press release distributed by his Rainbow PUSH Coalition characterized the FBI's decryption request, and a subsequent motion to compel Apple's assistance filed by the U.S. Department of Justice, as an over-reach that jeopardizes civil liberties and public privacy rights.

"The government's demand that Apple create software to hack it's iPhones is an overreach - privacy and civil liberties must be protected," Jackson said.

Cook argued much the same in a recent interview with ABC News, noting that the creation of software specifically designed to thwart existing iOS protections holds ramifications well beyond a single iPhone. Law enforcement agencies, the Justice Department and White House all insist the proposed forensic tool will only be used to hack into an iPhone 5c used by San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook.

Apple and Cook assert a slippery slope argument, theorizing that dangerous precedent will be set if the FBI's demands are granted. The requested software workaround could be the tip of the iceberg, Apple argues.

"I don't know where this stops, but this should not be happening in this country. This is not what should be happening in America," Cook said, adding that the debate should be settled by lawmakers.

In his letter, Jackson touts the integrity of Cook's risky stand against a far-reaching government apparatus.

For its part, the Rainbow PUSH Coalition is in favor of a bipartisan bill that would form a special congressional commission tasked with addressing complex digital privacy issues. Proposed by House Homeland Security Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas) and Senate Intelligence Committee member Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), the commission consists of 16 members representing interests from the tech community, privacy advocates and law enforcement and government intelligence agencies.

Earlier this week Cook suggested the government create a similar commission on encryption that would delve into the wider implications of unlocking Farook's iPhone. Cook also said the FBI's case to compel should be withdrawn, leaving Congress to decide the issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

Rev. Jesse Jackson lauds Tim Cook's stand against FBI demands

Unm, is that a good thing?
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 30
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Why does anyone give this idiot (Jackson) time....who cares what he does or thinks!  Go away!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Jesse looking for some face time. Does anyone really care what he thinks? Crickets. 
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Would be about as of a good endorsement to get the KKK lauding Cook as well.

In case someone misunderstands, I'm implying that they both suck.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 30
    can't help but wonder what the bill from the reverend will look like. (sorry, I have just heard too many stories from the past) I stand with Tim on his position and if there are no strings attached, then thank you Rev Jackson. (fingers crossed...)
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Uh oh, I might have to change my mind now and side with the FBI.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    It's crazy the mixture of public figures who now have my respect.  Ted Lieu, a congressman from California, now has my vote for President anytime he chooses to run.  The man is an absolute God on this issue, please check out his Twitter feed.  Ron Paul - and I can't believe I'm saying this - maybe isn't so wrong after all.  I heard him today and compared to Trump, well there's no comparison.  All the Republican candidates are a bunch of knobs.  What a softball Trump served up, boycotting an American company for the likes of Samsung.  How do you not attack him and knock him out of the park.  
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Jackson is a corrupt Chicago politician, who's main claim to fame is that he gets his mug in the background behind famous people.  His son just did a few years in prison, and his daughter is going next.  He's such a class act that he referred to New York as 'jewtown.' 

If you like Chicago politics, pay to play cronyism, rampant drug crime and the 32 shootings just last weekend, you probably love Jackson.

Cook further shows his true radical leftist colors by posing with this creep.  

cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 30

zeus423 said:
    Washington Post, that liberal rag sides with the FBI.

Cook's political correctness is simply a marketing ploy to make Apple appear more secure than Samsung.  If there is blood shed as a result of Apple's obstinance it will fall directly on Tim Cook.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/apple-is-fighting-the-wrong-encryption-case/2016/02/25/7d4bc30c-dc0d-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html
  • Reply 10 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ah crap. The cameras were on so Jesse has to make an appearance. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 30

zeus423 said:

Cook's political correctness is simply a marketing ploy to make Apple appear more secure than Samsung.  If there is blood shed as a result of Apple's obstinance it will fall directly on Tim Cook.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/apple-is-fighting-the-wrong-encryption-case/2016/02/25/7d4bc30c-dc0d-11e5-891a-4ed04f4213e8_story.html
    More blood will be shed regardless.  Keep in mind that the blood in San Bernardino was already a failure of American security.

For the US Government, this smokescreen with Apple has two goals:

1. Distract the citizens away from the fact that NO-ONE can be protected by that high and mighty government, no matter how many basic rights we give up.
    2. Maybe, just maybe score a requirement for a backdoor into every device in the world.

There are further subtleties, both those are the primary points.
    mwhitesailorpaultylerdcalimobiuspalominejony0cornchipbadmonk
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

zeus423 said:

Um...no they didn't. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/apple-should-not-be-forced-to-decrypt-users-data/2016/02/18/c8f1f2f8-d678-11e5-b195-2e29a4e13425_story.html
    calipalominejony0badmonk
  • Reply 13 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    par4 said:
    can't help but wonder what the bill from the reverend will look like. (sorry, I have just heard too many stories from the past) I stand with Tim on his position and if there are no strings attached, then thank you Rev Jackson. (fingers crossed...)
    Nothing is ever free where that race-baiter is concerned.  I wouldn't trust Jesse Jackson to order a pizza for me.
    photoshop59
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Wherever the spotlight is on civil liberties, where millions of the poor innocent public can't defend themselves, there's Jesse Jackson (Martin Luther King) to save the day.

PR: "Mr. Jackson, we see an opportunity here to make you tens of millions of dollars."
    JJ:  "Doing what?"
    PR: "The FBI wants to crack open the encryption of the iPhone to allow them to see whatever content exists in it."
    JJ:  "What does that mean?"
    PR: "Just put your arm around Tim Cook and smile."
    techprod1gy
  • Reply 15 of 30
    jungmark said:

Um...no they didn't. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/apple-should-not-be-forced-to-decrypt-users-data/2016/02/18/c8f1f2f8-d678-11e5-b195-2e29a4e13425_story.html
    Great find...but he Post's Editorial Staff can't have it both ways. The stand Against Apple post is the most recent so it looks as though the Editorial Board has seen the light.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 16 of 30
    The "Content of Character Paradox"....  Guessing he's got pics of his GFs on his iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    All Jessee wants is to have some blacks get jobs at Apple.  I understand that, but tech is and should remain, a meritocracy, and unfortunately in tech, whites, indians, asians are winning the battle for these jobs, but not through racial quotas, or affirmative action, but through brain power and skill set.  Jessie would do better for his black family by encouraging family values, education, work ethic, self reliance, and clean living, rather than political intimidation, and self agrandization. Jackson is frankly, a horrid role model for black youth - as is evidenced by his son, now a failure with an entirely ruined reputation, and an ex con.  Now that his son is out of Jail, (and his daughter is going in to do her time), maybe Jessee Jr. can bribe Cook into giving him a job, because I seriously doubt if junior is going back to Congress, but then one can never underestimate the stupidity of Chicago voters.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 18 of 30

bdkennedy said:
    Wherever the spotlight is on civil liberties, where millions of the poor innocent public can't defend themselves, there's Jesse Jackson (Martin Luther King) to save the day.

PR: "Mr. Jackson, we see an opportunity here to make you tens of millions of dollars."
    JJ:  "Doing what?"
    PR: "The FBI wants to crack open the encryption of the iPhone to allow them to see whatever content exists in it."
    JJ:  "What does that mean?"
    PR: "Just put your arm around Tim Cook and smile."
    Hilarious but true.
    bdkennedy1002
  • Reply 19 of 30
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

zeus423 said:

You do understand that it's an opinion as noted in that URL?
    jfc1138cali
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

zeus423 said:

Sorry, you're wrong (deliberately?) 

David Ignatius is an opinion writer who most specifically does NOT speak for the entire Washington Post. He's simply a syndicated columnist. "Opinion writer"  Like George Will only less obnoxious. 

weak try, very weak. 
    edited February 2016 calipscooter63jony0cornchip