FBI contacted Apple, received data related to San Bernardino case 3 days after shooting

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    dapdap Posts: 1member
    Go Apple!!!

mwhitecaliargonaut
  • Reply 22 of 67
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    To think that a shooting spree that left 14 dead would have more of an ongoing investigation than did 9/11 which killed over 3000 people and an estimated 2 million people in the so called war on terror is an insult to the American people and the thousands of dead soldiers and the estimated 2,000,000+ people that were exterminated in this so called "War on Terror". America wake up. To find the truth you need only watch the actions of the individuals involved. Stop listening to words spoken. These lies can all be debunked by 5th graders. The war on terror is almost as big of a joke as the war on drugs, which has already cost millions of lives, not to mention the last 7 US drug Czars have been busted for transporting drugs from various spots in the world. Everyone knows we are in Iraq because of the special interest of the big oil companies, and big pharma has us in Afghanistan for the opium, just as they did in Vietnam. We don't have to be Nostradamus to predict what will happen next people. Simply open your history books and you will see. 
    Um.... Wandered into the wrong site?
    No, I think his comment is spot on. Everything being done around the world by our government and military is to protect the interests of American companies and not its people. The only exception is Apple, who they are jealous of for being able to run ethically (as possible) and profitable as possible. 
    mwhitecalimagman1979wetlandertallest skilpalominenolamacguypropodargonaut
  • Reply 23 of 67
    I think it's worth noting that the point of terrorism is change the world by scaring people, so the more attention is drawn to this case, and the more people entertain the possibility of making big changes as a result of this attack, the more the terrorists will have achieved. The shoe bomber may have failed to ignite his bomb on the plane, but every time I fly now, I am forced to remove my shoes in memory of him, which I'm sure thrills him to no end if he's still alive. Every way we change our lives in response to a terrorist's actions, we are giving them what they want. We should be mourning the dead and quietly finding ways to prevent future attacks without giving up freedoms, privacy or our lifestyles. 
    mwhitecalimagman1979wetlanderhlee1169mattinozpropodargonaut
  • Reply 24 of 67
    When this goes to the Supreme Court the government will look a the clowns they all are. They hire idiots like Snowden and bark at their own people for not doing their F-Ing JOB! They should put all those efforts in helping companies protect us from Chine- Russia- Korea and all other cyber attacks on our companies and institutions! MORONS!!!
  • Reply 25 of 67
    jkichline said:
    It's time to face facts: The FBI rigged this investigation to set a precedence.  They broke the iPhone 5c so there would be no way for Apple to get the data off it.  They are trying to use Apple as an example, but they underestimated Apple as most people do.  Now there is an accurate timeline and we can see how the FBI is trying to mislead the American public to take away our privacy and liberty.
    yes, but this will be buried in the mainstream media as they spin the court of public opinion using the narrative that benefits the government. 
    badmonk
  • Reply 26 of 67
    For those of you who didn't know...THE SAN BERNARDINO ATTACK WAS FAKED! See "San Bernardino Shooting Official Story Is Complete Utter Bullsht - Here's The Proof" on Youtube. Note on that video clip that the ID of the suspect...KAISER PERMANENTE REVEUNE SUPPORT CLERK BUSINESS SERVICES, notice Revenue is misspelled! FAKE ID! Oh, so the master template to make the ID was misspelled too huh??? And why would the investigators just leave the suspect's IDs and drivers license in their apartment in the first place!
  • Reply 27 of 67
    It is no secret that Comey considers the use of encrypted phones and end-to-end encryption above the law. The encryption debate has gone to Congress, fueled by Comey's nonsense. For someone in his position, as Director of FBI, he should be watchful of what he says for the sake of maintaining a credible public opinion. Even ex-NSA Chief Michael Hayden has come out saying in regards to end-to-end encryption, which Comey also opposes (surprise?) "I disagree with Jim Comey, I actually think end-to-end encryption is good for America." I suspect that the FBI intentionally requested the reseting of the password to create a pretext to force Apple to create a backdoor to the iPhone, undermine encryption, and create a precedence for future cases. The information in the phone is likely of little value to the San Bernardino case. Farook had a personal phone, which he destroyed prior to the attack and deleted his backups, likely to cover his tracks. Farook's work phone, if it had anything of value, would have bled information in the form of calls, messages. All which would have been captured by NSA or cellphone provider in the form of metadata. I suspect that Farook never used his work phone in the commissioning of the terrorist act for fear of getting caught early, since it was a work phone. Trust me. It was a work phone! nobody wanting to plot a terrorist attack will be calling Pakistan using a work phone. Only an idiot would use a work phone to plot a terrorist act and Farook was no idiot, though misguided and naive. I hope, after the dust settles in the case, that Apple will not be forced into writing the ridiculous "GovtOS" and that Jim Comey resign or get fired for incompetence.

edited February 2016 mwhitecalimagman1979wetlanderjustadcomicstdknoxargonautbadmonk
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Com'n man. Don'y you know that the federal, state, and local Gestapo don't have to obey any laws? They just execute folks who don't comply with their "God like commands, or put them in jail.
    caliargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 67
    The authorities screwed the pooch in a major fashion. And now they want Apple to do the impossible: Unscrew the pooch without jeopardizing its users' data security. Anytime you engage in any sexual activity without a condom, YOU have to live with the consequences, not more than a Billion people.
    caliargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 67
    647367 said:
    brakken said:
    The Russians and the North Koreans are laughing their asses off.

Come on, America! Get it together!
    So, are you saying that giving up some personal freedom and liberty in exchange for government protection is the right thing to do?  Fascist governments have promised the same thing for a very long time and none of them delivered on that promise.  Wake up man!
    So are you saying the 14 dead in San Bernardino are now enjoying personal freedom and liberty?  In ww2 our best technical experts created Enigma machine decoder to defeat the fascists.  (Because the "Greatest Generation" had it's priorities and head on straight).  Today, the "Most Confused Generation" instead creates an enigma to help the fascists of our time to kill us, and with convoluted logic, orchestrates it's own oblivion.  This is how intelligence destroys itself.  Wake up man!
  • Reply 31 of 67
    I think it's worth noting that the point of terrorism is change the world by scaring people, so the more attention is drawn to this case, and the more people entertain the possibility of making big changes as a result of this attack, the more the terrorists will have achieved. The shoe bomber may have failed to ignite his bomb on the plane, but every time I fly now, I am forced to remove my shoes in memory of him, which I'm sure thrills him to no end if he's still alive. Every way we change our lives in response to a terrorist's actions, we are giving them what they want. We should be mourning the dead and quietly finding ways to prevent future attacks without giving up freedoms, privacy or our lifestyles. 
    It's not the "terrorists" who enjoy this effect.  It's the government who manipulates, hires, or in some other nefarious way orchestrates the event in order to control its population.  I do not understand why people respond to "terrorist" arguments when they have been used by authoritarian governments repeatedly in the 20th century to justify government overreach that would otherwise be unpopular.  
    calimagman1979wetlander
  • Reply 32 of 67

When this goes to the Supreme Court the government will look a the clowns they all are. They hire idiots like Snowden and bark at their own people for not doing their F-Ing JOB! They should put all those efforts in helping companies protect us from Chine- Russia- Korea and all other cyber attacks on our companies and institutions! MORONS!!!
    Snowden is an idiot?  You prefer to have the government spy on you and not be told?  In whose interest do you speak?  Are you so identified with the nation state that you support it no matter what it becomes?
    calimagman1979mwhitehlee1169nolamacguyargonautfrac
  • Reply 33 of 67
    ejkr said:
    647367 said:
    So, are you saying that giving up some personal freedom and liberty in exchange for government protection is the right thing to do?  Fascist governments have promised the same thing for a very long time and none of them delivered on that promise.  Wake up man!
    So are you saying the 14 dead in San Bernardino are now enjoying personal freedom and liberty?  In ww2 our best technical experts created Enigma machine decoder to defeat the fascists.  (Because the "Greatest Generation" had it's priorities and head on straight).  Today, the "Most Confused Generation" instead creates an enigma to help the fascists of our time to kill us, and with convoluted logic, orchestrates it's own oblivion.  This is how intelligence destroys itself.  Wake up man!
    it should be the government's job to crack encryption and it should be very expensive, at the level of quantum computing. I am OK with the US government cracking encryption as long as they are the only ones who can do it and that each time they have to run the machine, it cost lots of money. Compelling a private company to write software to bypass their own encryption schemes is not good, not good at all. Apple is not a branch of the government.
    edited February 2016 caliwetlandermwhitehlee1169argonautfrac
  • Reply 34 of 67
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ejkr said:
    647367 said:
    The terrorist is DEAD. How much more justice can we serve the terrorists? What more evidence is in a work phone that they CHOSE not to hide or destroy? Should we crack open all iPhones and hadcuff their corpses would that be better?

Urei1620 said:
    ejkr said:
    it should be the government's job to crack encryption and it should be very expensive, at the level of quantum computing. I am OK with the US government cracking encryption as long as they are the only ones who can do it and that each time they have to run the machine, it cost lots of money. Compelling a private company to write software to bypass their own encryption schemes is not good, not good at all. Apple is not a branch of the government.
    I agree it should be a high fee something like half a billion but even that sets a precedent for other countries. Apple is a glodal company.
    mwhiteargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 67
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    The FBI can do what it wants. It is above the U.S. Constitution and knows how to circumvent it by using The Writs Act. Very clever and now Apple will be the FBI's technical support by proxy. Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft are next. Open your back doors or I'll brute force my way in.
    J. Edgar Hoover established the precedent of being above all laws and rights. Congress and other elected officials looked the other way because Hoover had dirt on all of them whether true or created for the destruction of their political careers. He also had dirt on SCOTUS justices, staffers in all levels of government as well as family. He kept these in private files in his home and they somehow came up missing and probably destroyed after his death. The conspiracy theorists feel that there is a possibility that his connections allowed him to arrange for the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK. All of which were a thorn in his side, especially RFK while he was Attorney General in JFK's administration. Hoover led the FBI and it's predecessor, Bureau of Investigation for 48 years. After his death congress passed a resolution to limit the term of the Director of the FBI to 10 years in order to avoid another renegade director.
    argonaut
  • Reply 36 of 67
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    J. Edgar Hoover established the precedent of being above all laws and rights. Congress and other elected officials looked the other way because Hoover had dirt on all of them whether true or created for the destruction of their political careers. He also had dirt on SCOTUS justices, staffers in all levels of government as well as family. He kept these in private files in his home and they somehow came up missing and probably destroyed after his death. The conspiracy theorists feel that there is a possibility that his connections allowed him to arrange for the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK. All of which were a thorn in his side, especially RFK while he was Attorney General in JFK's administration. Hoover led the FBI and it's predecessor, Bureau of Investigation for 48 years. After his death congress passed a resolution to limit the term of the Director of the FBI to 10 years in order to avoid another renegade director.

When the so-called "Patriot Act" was passed after 9/11 it has allowed the bounds of the the FBI and the entire Justice Department to run wild and be secretive. This situation with Apple is a new first in that the director is using the public and social media in order to besmirch Apple's reputation and use it to require tech companies to compromise their device encryption for their use with the guise of being able to hunt terrorists more effectively. I wonder how many Federal judges they had to approach in order to get this order. Or perhaps they have some dirt on Judge Pym.

The far reaching implications not only violate the privacy of American citizens but leaders of other countries are watching this closely. If the FBI is successful there is no limit to what could happen to the people of countries like China, Russia, most of the Middle East and Africa, India, etc.

The interesting thing is that Congress has tried to amend the Telecommunications Act of 1934 to require better security of smartphones by manufacturers and carriers by implementing a "remote kill switch" in order to decrease smartphone thefts. Apple complied starting with iOS 7 and implemented the extra security to create a timer and an option to erase the contents of an iPhone for too many failed login attempts on the actual device since the remote find and erase function would only work if the iPhone owner activated it before the thief had already modified the phones unique identifier (the amendment only requires the "remote kill switch" function). Interestingly this is the functionality that the FBI is trying to circumvent.

From an article by Gerry Smith, technology writer at the Huffington Post. Dated 6/19/2014

"The kill switch is working.

That was the message Thursday from law enforcement officials who said new statistics show iPhone thefts have declined since Apple introduced a stronger anti-theft feature in September. They said criminals are responding by targeting people who carry other smartphones that don't have a similar feature to disable them if stolen.

In New York City, robberies involving Apple products fell 19 percent during the first five months of this year compared with the same period the year before, officials said. Meanwhile, violent robberies targeting people with Samsung smartphones, many of which do not have a kill switch, increased more than 40 percent in the city during that same period.

In San Francisco, iPhone robberies fell 38 percent during the six months after Apple released its new anti-theft feature, compared to the six months before its release, officials said. Robberies of Samsung devices increased 12 percent during that time, they said. In the corresponding period of time in London, iPhone robberies declined by 24 percent while Samsung thefts increased by 3 percent.

The new statistics were released by the Secure Our Smartphones Initiative, a coalition of mayors, attorneys general, district attorneys and high-level police officials. While the statistics may prove that Apple's kill switch is deterring thieves, smartphone thefts can fluctuate for other reasons. San Francisco police have found that iPhone thefts tend to rise in the summer, perhaps because more people are spending time outdoors with their devices.

Apple introduced its anti-theft feature, Activation Lock, last fall as part of the latest iPhone operating system, iOS7. It shuts down the phone when a thief attempts to turn off the Find My iPhone program that locates missing devices. Consumers must still turn on the feature, and police have expressed concern that many iPhone owners won't do it."

palomineargonaut
  • Reply 37 of 67
    ejkr said:
    the "Greatest Generation" had it's priorities and head on straight
    Oh, how wrong you are.

philnezz said:
    How are we going to find an even middle on this issue.
    Who says we have to? What good has compromise ever done anyone, much less ever done anyone’s rights? Fuck compromise. I’m done with that.
    edited February 2016 mwhitepalominefracjustadcomicstdknox
  • Reply 38 of 67
    matrix077 said:
    Of course it will be limited to this device. But when precedence is set, anyone can ask Apple to re-do it.. again and again.
    not anyone, only enforcement authorities and according to the law about disclosure of crime activities
  • Reply 39 of 67

jkichline said:
    It's time to face facts: The FBI rigged this investigation to set a precedence.  They broke the iPhone 5c so there would be no way for Apple to get the data off it.  They are trying to use Apple as an example, but they underestimated Apple as most people do.  Now there is an accurate timeline and we can see how the FBI is trying to mislead the American public to take away our privacy and liberty.
    Privacy and liberty must end where the crime starts. Period.
    edited February 2016 techno
  • Reply 40 of 67
    80486DX66 said:Privacy and liberty must end where the crime starts. Period.
    The Constitution says otherwise. Sorry.
    pscooter63palominenolamacguyericthehalfbeejustadcomicsargonautSpamSandwichcornchip