Avid iPhone user Donald Trump calls for Apple boycott over encryption fight

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 170
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    crowley said:
    muppetry said:
    It's the old debate about whether a Republic is a type of Democracy. The issue usually hinges on whether the existence of a Constitution means that the majority do not have absolute power which, in a the original, Greek concept, they did, even though the term has expanded to include any system where the population, either directly, or indirectly via representatives, govern themselves. That is really the only hook on which to hang the argument about how a representative democracy differs from a republic but since, even in a republic, the elected representatives can amend (and in the US - have amended) the constitution and since there is nothing in the definition of democracy that forbids a constitution, the distinction is moot IMO.

The extent to which some people (almost exclusively conservatives) get excited about this pedantry has always baffled me. I'm left with the impression that they just don't like the similarity of the words democracy and Democrat, and as Republicans much prefer to see the US only referred to as a Republic.
    I agree with everything you've said, but still don't understand, even in that dogmatic worldview, how any democracy could be said to be, in itself, illegal. By what laws?
    I'm not certain quite what TS meant, but possibly, if one regards a democracy as unable to have a constitution, then one might stretch that further and say that a democracy must therefore be unconstitutional, and hence illegal in the US. Pretty tenuous, obviously. Perhaps TS would like to elaborate.
  • Reply 162 of 170
    I think the more likely outcome is that Apple users will boycott Donald Trump.
    muppetryiosenthusiastbuzdots
  • Reply 163 of 170
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    muppetry said:
    crowley said:
    I agree with everything you've said, but still don't understand, even in that dogmatic worldview, how any democracy could be said to be, in itself, illegal. By what laws?
    I'm not certain quite what TS meant, but possibly, if one regards a democracy as unable to have a constitution, then one might stretch that further and say that a democracy must therefore be unconstitutional, and hence illegal in the US. Pretty tenuous, obviously. Perhaps TS would like to elaborate.
    I'm sure he won't.  The most you ever get out of him is invective and irrelevant Wikipedia links.
    singularity
  • Reply 164 of 170
    Not that I am saying he had any before, but Trump has lost all credibility to lead this country.  He has proven to be just another arrogant, bloviating politician more in love with himself and bigger government than in the Constitution or Justice.  In this, he is no better than Hillary or Obama.
  • Reply 165 of 170
    Not that I am saying he had any before, but Trump has lost all credibility to lead this country.  He has proven to be just another arrogant, bloviating politician more in love with himself and bigger government than in the Constitution or Justice.  In this, he is no better than Hillary or Obama.
    This election is going to be (again) about which president will cause the LEAST damage. They're all absolutely awful.
    palomine
  • Reply 166 of 170
    America's finest. The country deserves him.
  • Reply 167 of 170
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    pmcd said:
    He's not my cup of tea but a lot of people are following him and you can't just, in your infinite wisdom, dismiss them as delusional.
    sure you can. there are plenty of morons in this world -- not all opinions are equal. trump supporters are likely of lessened intelligence and easily motivated by emotion. thats what demagogues do.
    Yeah, right, and you no doubt will decide who is and isn't a moron? Intelligence is a tricky concept and one not easily defined. The beauty of democracy is that it usually averages out extremes, such as the views held by most here.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 168 of 170
    Donald Trump, who is seeking the U.S. Republican presidential nomination, on Friday said consumers should boycott Apple until the company complies with government requests to help unlock an iPhone 5c tied to last year's San Bernardino massacre.

Trump's off-the-cuff statement came during a campaign rally in South Carolina on Friday, where the outspoken businessman magnate urged constituents to stop using Apple products until the company gave in to law enforcement demands.

"First of all Apple should give the security for that phone, okay?" Trump said. "What I think you oughta do is boycott Apple until such time as they give that security number. How do you like...I just thought of that."

The crowd responded with a rousing cheer as Trump dropped more fact bombs, clarifying that the iPhone in question is in fact owned by the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, not the "young thug" that "killed all these people." He was referring to Syed Rizwan Farook who, with the help of his wife Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 coworkers in a surprise attack last December.

FBI agents recovered Farook's iPhone 5c from a related crime scene but has so far been unsuccessful in circumventing the device's passcode lock. Earlier this week a federal judge ordered Apple to comply with FBI requests to assist in bypassing the phone's security barrier, which would require the company to create a software workaround that effectively breaks its own encryption protocol.

Seemingly caught up in his own rhetoric, Trump forgot he himself frequently uses an iPhone to post both personal and professional tweets. But he was on a roll.

"Not even his phone, we don't even have to go that far," Trump said. "But Tim Cook is looking to do a big number, probably to show how liberal he is. But Apple should give up -- they should get the security -- you'll find other people."

Trump most recently tweeted from his iPhone less than an hour prior to this article's publication. Following today's remarks, Trump in a tweet sent from Twitter's Web client admitted to using Apple's products, but claimed to also use Samsung devices, which he would switch to exclusively until Apple complies with FBI demands.

Trump later committed his boycott Apple message to the digital record in yet another tweet. But this time he used an Android device.

• Reply 169 of 170

D. J. Trump shows all the signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). 

The recognized symptoms of this disease are: 

DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features: 

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance 
    Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it 
    Exaggerating your achievements and talents 
    Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate 
    Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people 
    Requiring constant admiration 
    Having a sense of entitlement 
    Expecting special favours and unquestioning compliance with your expectations 
    Taking advantage of others to get what you want 
    Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others 
    Being envious of others and believing others envy you 
    Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manne

Is there any of these symptoms that Trump does not regularly display. Sad but true, someone needs to make it clear to the American people that there is indeed a mentally challenged candidate running for President of the USA.