Microsoft's 'bug chicks' praise Windows 10, diss Macs in new ad campaign

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    glynh said:
    thebmt said:
    I genuinely can't remember the last time something went wrong with my Mac.
    Really? What a short memory people seem to have.

Only the other day Apple issued a silent update that broke Ethernet connectivity for many of us Mac users and in fact a couple of articles down you will see it reported.

Apple is more than capable of introducing bugs as much as the next software manufacturer and I for one see little difference between Apple & Microsoft these days with regard to software stability coming from either company.

Now bugs as virii on the other hand...well that's another matter but lets not lose sight of the fact that there have been many software issues that Apple themselves have caused.

I mean for me Search in Notes that has worked without problems has now reached a point where it will not find something that I can see in the first few lines in a list and don't get me started on keyboard shortcuts that don't propagate correctly between my Mac, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air let alone iPhone, iPad etc.

There are many, many more.

-=Glyn=-
    Unless you're fracking telling me how many people were affected (which none of those clickbait articles , you're talking pure crap. It was also fixed immediatly which the MS dumbasses never do.

Tens of millions were affected by the WIFI bug brought in the massive November Windows  update, which wasn't fixed until January.

In fact one in two updates of MS have broken my computer in the last 6 months, including wiping all personalization twice, updates that install only halfway and can't ever be completed unless I roll back two previous updates, many thirds party apps stop working after updates, locking parts of the disk even to admin users and that major WIFI problem

jaker's ugly brotherjony0
  • Reply 42 of 70
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    It is weird someone would use such anti-intuitive OS as Windows with awesome alternatives like the Mac. Even more, Mac OS X is free for everyone. Clearly, it is inertia (as was with DOS vs Mac). Once you try Mac, you never go back!
  • Reply 43 of 70
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Kinda funny they're using bugs, that's what windows is known for. Subliminal message?

thebmt said:
    I use both Mac and Windows on a daily basis - Mac at work, Windows at home. I've lost count of the amount of issues I've had with my PC since I started using Windows 10.
    Windows may be 'adding features' but the biggest thing they seem to be adding to the OS is bugs.

Seems every few weeks I'm having to use sfc /scannow or dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to fix some OS issue.

A couple of days ago on my PC my WiFi randomly stopped working when I was in the middle of something. No problem I thought... I'll run the Network Adapter troubleshooter. "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer". What the? Was working perfectly a moment ago now Windows has deleted a network protocol? Guess I'll let the troubleshooter do it's thing... at which point it said something along the lines of Failed to repair the problem.

Okay... guess I'll try tethering via my iPhone to look up a solution to this. Nope, same issue with the newly installed iPhone network interface was completely non-functional too. Great.

Tried half a dozen proposed solutions without any luck. After about half an hour of googling on my phone I finally found some obscure registry entry fix, tried it, ran a command to reset the winsock protocols via cmd.exe rebooted my computer for about the 6th point by this time... and it finally worked again.

I genuinely can't remember the last time something went wrong with my Mac.
    I've had a 2009 iMac for almost 7 years now. NEVER used some sort of "cleaner" or virus/malware/spyware removal program on it. Never have I had any of those problems on it. It still runs fast an efficient today.

When I had a PC I had to use disk defragmenter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, CCleaner, Disk Cleanup and a few other programs at least once a month.  Wasn't downloading anything illegal, wasn't using unlicensed software, wasn't visiting questionable websites. Sh** just got filthy with crap and slow just having it connected online.
    baconstangjaker's ugly brother
  • Reply 44 of 70
    privacy violations : yep I don't have that on my mac
    ai46jony0
  • Reply 45 of 70
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Ha ha W10 right ...
    Brand new MS below surface, after a day, black screen of death; took a while to find the crtl-alt-del equivalent and get the preposterous timing right.
    cornchip
  • Reply 46 of 70
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Ha ha W10 right ...
    Brand new MS below surface, after a day, black screen of death; took a while to find the crtl-alt-del equivalent and get the preposterous timing right.

Edit: sorry, network glitch.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 47 of 70
    gc1gc1 Posts: 1member
    Why does no one talk about what happens to every Windows laptop /desktop I have ever owned. It begins to slow down and lock up. Internet explorer crashes and you must have anti virus installed to try to keep the bad guys out. My iMac has been extremely stable for 2 years. It does not crash and Safari does not lock up. I just bought my wife a Mac Pro laptop because I was so tire
  • Reply 48 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    razormaid said:
    That's because on a Mac we don't all have to buy a brand new computer just to get a touch screen. Apple solved that problem years ago with the TouchPad.

I don't know about you, but using my sleeve to clean my iPhone now and then is one thing, I certainly can't do THAT with my shirtsleeve if my Mac was touch screen. That's called "The BurgerKing Affect".

Have you ever seen those touch screens at BurgerKing (or any other fast food restaurant)?  Yikes!  It's a breeding ground for infection. Talk about "bugs and kids". They're would be plenty of "bugs" for those bug chicks to play with. Unfortunately they're not the cute ones rolling around on their hands. They're the bad ones you can only see with a microscope. I do not want their 21" unmovable computer screen going touchscreen anytime soon at their school where God knows if they're ever cleaned. It's bad enough what they "bring home" without sharing that bed of infection. At least with their iPad it's THEIR iPad and rarely touched by others. But I'm sure that "ad" wouldn't be as cute and fuzzy. <GRIN> 
    You mean, like Logitech Wireless Rechargeable Touchpad T650 and few others from Lenovo and other brands that I've been seeing around? :)

Over-sized desktop touchpads are present on both sides of the fence... however, as far as my observation goes - it appears that some (many?) users prefer more direct interaction that touchscreen offers. Not sure how to explain this (as I'm OK with both inputs) but it appears as if touchscreen gives impression - even if it is only impression - that you interact with objects directly, while with touchpad you instruct machine to interact with object, so there is a bit of... disconnection? Oddly enough, I've seen this among all age groups, and while it makes sense for kids and elders, I was surprised to see quite a few of my wife's colleagues - all academics in their prime - preferring to mess with screen rather than touchpad or mouse.

As of germs - while I get your observations re touch menus at BK or McD and other public scenarios, as long as we talk about personal computing devices, I wouldn't expect that touch screen on my tablet is any more germ-happy than my laptop's touchpad. Or keyboard. Or mouse, speaking of which. In fact, I'm likely to clean my tablets' screen more often than my mouse or keyboard. I don't like smudges on screen. I kind of don't really notice them much on keyboard and other input devices, since I'm not looking at them all the time.
  • Reply 49 of 70

GTRownsU said:
    WOW! Really Microshaft?! Ummmm , Apple did this Mac Vs. PC thing like 15 years ago! Has microshaft even created their own hardware other than a ghetto phone, and Surface tablet. When will Micorshaft compare laptop to laptop ? Oh that's right, they don't have one except for Surface of my bawls convertible tablet. Compare desktop to desktop? Ooops, I've NEVER seen a MS desktop. EVER...... Nice try microshaft, keep riding apple's coattails!
    Who's that Micorshaft you keep babbling about? 
    singularity
  • Reply 50 of 70
    thedba said:
    What's amazing about ads like this, is that MS is comparing itself against a minority platform. What is it worldwide, something like 90% MS to less than 10% for Apple? Or isn't marketshare all that important any longer?
    There is no-one else to compare with, really. Linux? Playstation OS? :)

I'm not saying this is good thing - in fact, I'd prefer OSX to have larger market share, and AmigaOS to have kept growing since late '80 and early '90 and is viable option today, both software and hardware wise. TOS/GEM, too; but they aren't. OSX is really the only other platform out there right now, much as laptops and desktops are considered.

Eventually, it is not only MS fault that no-one else managed to compete on market share terms.
    singularityjony0
  • Reply 51 of 70

foggyhill said:
    mygig said:
    Well sadly they are beeing more and more right, if you look at the state of the Mac lately
    Have you used Windows 10, it's a fracking of shit OS, and not just from a UI perspective, upgrades have completely messed my desktop for weeks to months (Wifi bug came with November upgrade and wasn't fixed until January making Wifi completely unreliable, this was an acknowledged major bug that hit a lot of people). Wiping out all personification of the OS, twice in 5 months, making part of my disk completely inaccessible even when running as admin, another one of their fine upgrades.

So, yes MS is lying about their crappy OS.
    That's matter of perspective.

I've upgraded my work laptop right after W10 release, my Surface a month later, my gaming desktop 2 weeks ago. My work laptop shut down on me twice in the first month of use, while sitting idle - event logs were pointing to power management issue. However, a month into W10 life (and, maybe even more importantly, one uEFI update for my laptop later) issue has gone.

My Surface failed to connect to wireless after waking up from sleep a few times. Have to tap on network icon in system tray and then it connects automatically, I don't even have to select my home wireless network. Could be Win10 releated, but just as well related to drivers and firmware for wifi hardware in Surface. My laptop doesn't have such problems, tho'. I use Linksys router at home, and a few years old, at that. We have decent Meraki wireless access points at work and no observer wifi problems so far with any Win10 device. Or any other, really.

So yeah, I have used Win10, and so have most of my colleagues (some help-desk guys had to stay with Win 7 and Win 8.1). All sort of scenarios - upgrades from clean Win7 and Win8.1 installs, upgrades on machines that were previously upgraded from 7 to 8 to 8.1 and clean installs... all sort of machines between 5 years and a month old. Including some custom built desktops. On average, Win10 is doing quite well for us.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    "Bugs love Windows"
    liquidmark
  • Reply 53 of 70
    foggyhill said:
    glynh said:
    Really? What a short memory people seem to have.

Only the other day Apple issued a silent update that broke Ethernet connectivity for many of us Mac users and in fact a couple of articles down you will see it reported.

Apple is more than capable of introducing bugs as much as the next software manufacturer and I for one see little difference between Apple & Microsoft these days with regard to software stability coming from either company.

Now bugs as virii on the other hand...well that's another matter but lets not lose sight of the fact that there have been many software issues that Apple themselves have caused.

I mean for me Search in Notes that has worked without problems has now reached a point where it will not find something that I can see in the first few lines in a list and don't get me started on keyboard shortcuts that don't propagate correctly between my Mac, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air let alone iPhone, iPad etc.

There are many, many more.

-=Glyn=-
    Unless you're fracking telling me how many people were affected (which none of those clickbait articles , you're talking pure crap. It was also fixed immediatly which the MS dumbasses never do.

Tens of millions were affected by the WIFI bug brought in the massive November Windows  update, which wasn't fixed until January.

In fact one in two updates of MS have broken my computer in the last 6 months, including wiping all personalization twice, updates that install only halfway and can't ever be completed unless I roll back two previous updates, many thirds party apps stop working after updates, locking parts of the disk even to admin users and that major WIFI problem

It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your computer, and that is not necessarily Windows 10 alone. Or at all.

Beside that... Win 10 is still in relative infancy. And already has over 100 million users. Now that is quite decent user base to emphasize any problem/bug that might appear. From my Mac-user friends' input, OSX 10.11 has fair share or problems on it's own, and even 4 updates later some are still present... but user base is smaller, thus less users are affected. Kind of makes sense..?
  • Reply 54 of 70
    nikon133 said:

Beside that... Win 10 is still in relative infancy. And already has over 100 million users. Now that is quite decent user base to emphasize any problem/bug that might appear. From my Mac-user friends' input, OSX 10.11 has fair share or problems on it's own, and even 4 updates later some are still present... but user base is smaller, thus less users are affected. Kind of makes sense..?
    So you don't even use a Mac? And you like Windows? And market share is a reason something is good or not?
    Why are you here on Appleinsider?
    liquidmarkjaker's ugly brotherSpamSandwichpscooter63
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Apple's had their (brilliant, award-winning) Mac vs. PC campaign, so fair enough. 

Reality, however:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/12/02/macbooks-top-consumer-reports-reliability/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/29/apple-tops-consumer-reports-satisfaction-survey-for-computer-technical-support

And for well over a decade now:

http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147&catid=&Itemid=212&i=Personal+Computers

You can do all the marketing and dress-up you want, but the product must eventually create its own dialogue on its own merits. 
    Apple had their Mac vs PC vids when they were an underdog. If you're the champ you just have to ignore the competition because anything you direct at them will just make you look weak or them look strong. Otherwise you just look petty and weak or look like a bully. Meanwhile, an underdog can attack and challenge the champ until he gets a shot at the title. Then once he gets the title, it's his turn to kinda shut up and let challengers come to him.

Apple had their "Mac vs PC" ads but discontinued them once Apple started doing well in terms of unit sales. Microsoft making Mac vs pc ads just drips of desperation.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    rbonner said:
    Meh. It's just marketing.
    That is true. Now everyone is talking about Windows 10, so I guess job well done.
    Yeah, everyone that just clicked on an article about a Windows 10 ad is talking.  Other than that, NOBODY is talking about 10.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 57 of 70
    nikon133 said:

As of germs - while I get your observations re touch menus at BK or McD and other public scenarios, as long as we talk about personal computing devices, I wouldn't expect that touch screen on my tablet is any more germ-happy than my laptop's touchpad. Or keyboard. Or mouse, speaking of which.
    Yes, I think the whole germ argument is blown out of proportion.  What about grade-school piano teachers who share their instruments with dozens of potential germ carriers.  It's mostly a non-issue.
    singularity
  • Reply 58 of 70
    nikon133 said:
    foggyhill said:

It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your computer, and that is not necessarily Windows 10 alone. Or at all.

I've been forced to use Windows for 35 years because of work and I'm a computer/systems and software engineer by training/trade (yes, that's a lot of study...), also have tens of linuxes and BSD  at home for the same reason plus a load of embedded OS's.

I know my way around computers better than you and 99.999999 percent of people, so spare me your crap.

Windows 10 has 95% code from 8.1 , there is no infancy bud, it's the same old pile of garbage
    edited February 2016 jaker's ugly brotherjony0sumjuanpscooter63
  • Reply 59 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love theses ads. For the first time MS has got the tone right. They make Windows look good and diss macs without being arrogant or vindictive. These are the modern day version of 'I'm a PC' campaign. I like the way they wrap it around a bug scenario, it kinda deflects the dissing of Macs. I specially like the log-in video - it is fun. I am expecting this campaign to be very good for MS. Obviously this campaign is a page out of the Apple Marketing book but as someone pointed out, after the I'm a PC campaign it is fair do's. Looking at these ads my immediate gut reaction was - oh, that IS cool. In other words Apple needs to up its game. Touch screens may not be all that but as the video points out 'it is really handy'. I have friends that use Windows machine and they echo that.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    paxman said:
    Love theses ads. For the first time MS has got the tone right. They make Windows look good and diss macs without being arrogant or vindictive. These are the modern day version of 'I'm a PC' campaign. I like the way they wrap it around a bug scenario, it kinda deflects the dissing of Macs. I specially like the log-in video - it is fun. I am expecting this campaign to be very good for MS. Obviously this campaign is a page out of the Apple Marketing book but as someone pointed out, after the I'm a PC campaign it is fair do's. Looking at these ads my immediate gut reaction was - oh, that IS cool. In other words Apple needs to up its game. Touch screens may not be all that but as the video points out 'it is really handy'. I have friends that use Windows machine and they echo that.
    95% of windows machine sold these days have no touch screen... While 95% of what Apple sells has a touch screen, that seems to have sort of slipped your mind huh?

If you want a touch screen you can buy an Ipad pro and a key board and your set; for the people MS is going after, which aren't power user, it's probably the Ipad Pro would be a better experience too,

So, this commercial is kinda of trying to reframe what's needed by this target market to exclude the Ipads.

That very convenient "forgetting" tells us that the Pro is in fact he real target for this ad (it sold more than the Surface in the Quarter of launch), not the Mac

So, I guess all those 95% of Windows machines are just useless buggy piece of crap (so says MS) without touch instead of being the same, but with a touch screen (touch fixes every ill...).

edited February 2016