Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 7' to retain 6s dimensions, thinner Lightning port, lack waterproofing

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
The latest rumors out of East Asia seemingly confirm Apple's next-generation flagship iPhones will retain the same dimensions as their iPhone 6s series counterparts, albeit with a thinner LCD array, and will not be waterproof as some have anticipated.

Apple iPhone 7 concept by Yasser Farahi.

A report from Japanese blog Mac Otakara sums up the latest scuttlebutt surrounding Apple's so-called "iPhone 7," saying the handset's height and width mirror that of the iPhone 6s. However, as KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted prior to last year's iPhone debut, the upcoming model will be slimmer thanks to an LCD array that is 1-millimeter thinner than current components, the report said.

The publication says whispers that Apple would introduce a new waterproof composite material for iPhone 7 are false. Instead, the device is expected to carry over the same levels of water resistance offered by the existing metal chassis design.

Mac Otakara reiterates claims that the future iPhone's rear-facing camera is to be flush with the phone's metal casing, undoing a major pain point introduced with the "camera bump" seen on iPhone 6 and 6s. Less clear is the potential integration of a dual-camera system designed by imaging firm LinX, which Apple purchased in 2015.

Today's report claims the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone 7 will not feature dual-lens technology, though the larger 5.5-inch version might. Kuo was first to detail Apple's purported work on dual-CCM imaging, saying the solution will incorporate two 12-megapixel sensors, one sporting optical image stabilization and a wider field of view, and another with a 2-3x telephoto lens. The analyst said supply constraints could limit initial production to a special iPhone 7 Plus version.

Finally, the report echoes rumors that Apple is looking to do away with the 3.5mm jack, perhaps filling that space with a second speaker for stereo sound, at least when viewing content in portrait orientation. In deleting the headphone jack, Apple opens the door to a thinner Lightning port design.

Apple is widely expected to announce a next-generation iPhone this fall, following the company's annual smartphone refresh cycle. In addition, rumors hold that a revamped 4-inch iPhone is in the offing and could debut in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Could it be they couldn't get another phone out in time and this another S type model to hold us over?
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Dude. Could Apple design some of its own lightning connector headphones,  with maybe noise cancellation and a boom microphone model? Bow wow wow. I mean it. 
  • Reply 3 of 59
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    "The analyst said supply constraints could limit initial production to a special iPhone 7 Plus version. " OMG, i have to be in first line.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    A "THINNER Lightning port design"!?

Seriously!?
    cnocbui
  • Reply 5 of 59
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    That should just call it the iPhone 2017 and do away the crappy number S branding.

Also pulling 1mm out of thickness seems a stretch for a single model.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    Can someone tell me what the pain point is with the current camera?
  • Reply 7 of 59
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    mac_128 said:
    A "THINNER Lightning port design"!?

Seriously!?
    Or in other words the exact same one in the iPadPro which is double sided and USB-3 capable.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    As Peggy Lee once sang, "Is That All There Is"?
    1983tonester
  • Reply 9 of 59
    I think they might make it USB3 lightning but they won't make it thinner. If they did they'd probably risk it snapping. Besides the next step after lightning will be strictly wireless with inductive charging.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    doing away with the headphone jack is an Apple congruent move compatible with the company's mantra of creative destruction and the quest for simplicity.  it will happen and spur the sales of Beats lightning equiped headphone and other accessories.  brave yourself.

as a heavy user of my iPhone headphone jack, i will tell you it is noisy and succeptible to failure and poor connections.
    argonautsmack416nolamacguy
  • Reply 11 of 59
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    So no waterproofing now either...so what are we going to end up with? A slightly thinner 'non-metallic' body (maybe) no headphone jack and a dual camera system (maybe) on certain models, oh and a faster SoC. Not exactly exciting.
    edited March 2016 wonkothesanelarryacnocbui
  • Reply 12 of 59
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Or leave the thickness and have an extra 1mm of battery space.... This race to "thinnest" phone is ridiculous. Smh
    6Sgoldfishicoco3jfc1138waverboy
  • Reply 13 of 59
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    1983 said:
    So no waterproofing now either...so what are we going to end up with? A slightly thinner 'non-metallic' body (maybe) no headphone jack and a dual camera system (maybe) on certain models, oh and a faster SoC. Not exactly exciting.
    So then don't buy it.  
    williamlondonnetmagejfc1138IanMC2
  • Reply 14 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Finally, the report echoes rumors that Apple is looking to do away with the 3.5mm jack, perhaps filling that space with a second speaker for stereo sound, at least when viewing content in portrait orientation. 
    Why have stereo sound in portrait mode? That doesn't make much sense. It would make far more sense to have stereo speakers in landscape mode. The stereo separation is greater in landscape mode and makes it a far more logical choice, especially since most content, such as virtually all media (film, tv etc.) is made for landscape mode. Having stereo speakers in portrait mode would be a huge waste and a mistake in my opinion.

When I think of content in portrait mode, I think of morons who do not know how to shoot video properly on their phones. It's amazing how many people upload portrait mode videos to youtube. There should be a law against that, with fines increasing for each subsequent offense. I don't expect people to have the film skills of a Speilberg, but I do expect them to at least have the intelligence to not shoot video on their phone in portrait mode. This issue is at least as important as many other political issues that some people claim to care about nowadays. It is one of the great struggles of our time, if you ask me.

edited March 2016 fastasleepargonautbrian greenanantksundaramicoco3waverboy
  • Reply 15 of 59
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member
    I do not believe these very early rumors about whether the next iPhone will or will not be "water
    proof". How could they possibly know?

The iPhone sound can always be improved. If Apple goes with wireless earphones, as has been previously rumored, then eliminating the current jack to save space is logical. And if the camera is improved too, and the phone has a faster chip, and is thinner, and has an iOS upgrade that offers better battery life - that is all good.

In other words, improved sound, sight, weight, and battery life would all be a welcome major upgrade. 
    edited March 2016 jfc1138
  • Reply 16 of 59
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring standards to all Apple devices: Thunderbolt or USB ports.
  • Reply 17 of 59
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    A question from someone who knows almost nothing tech:

Is it possible to make a headphone jack to Lightning adaptor?   I mean, could someone make an adaptor so I can use my "regular" headphones with the Lightning port?     Just wondering . . .
    cornchipicoco3
  • Reply 18 of 59
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    When I think of content in portrait mode, I think of morons who do not know how to shoot video properly on their phones. It's amazing how many people upload portrait mode videos to youtube. There should be a law against that, with fines increasing for each subsequent offense. I don't expect people to have the film skills of a Speilberg, but I do expect them to at least have the intelligence to not shoot video on their phone in portrait mode. This issue is at least as important as many other political issues that some people claim to care about nowadays. It is one of the great struggles of our time, if you ask me.

YES, thank you! Portrait video is the worst, next to climate change 

I want congress to pass a law that requires that all phones capture video in the proper aspect ratio, regardless of orientation. Actually, Apple has the ability to right this wrong.
    argonautcornchip
  • Reply 19 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can someone tell me what the pain point is with the current camera?
    Besides being used by Trump supporters?
  • Reply 20 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    In deleting the headphone jack, Apple opens the door to a thinner Lightning port design.
    I don't understand the logic.
    edited March 2016 netmagepscooter63