Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 7' to retain 6s dimensions, thinner Lightning port, lack waterproofing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I want congress to pass a law that requires that all phones capture video in the proper aspect ratio, regardless of orientation. Actually, Apple has the ability to right this wrong.
    I hope congress qualification was a joke.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

appex said:
    Bring standards to all Apple devices: Thunderbolt or USB ports.
    I'd love USBc but unfortunately it's not going to happen given Lighting is a full mm thinner 1.5 mm v 2.5 mm.
    edited March 2016 netmage
  • Reply 23 of 59
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    "The publication says whispers that Apple would introduce a new waterproof composite material..."

Maybe I'm missing something here but isn't metal already waterproof?

netmagecornchip
  • Reply 24 of 59
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    1983 said:
    So no waterproofing now either...so what are we going to end up with? A slightly thinner 'non-metallic' body (maybe) no headphone jack and a dual camera system (maybe) on certain models, oh and a faster SoC. Not exactly exciting.
    What will excite you? Double edges like Samsung? iPhone is mature. You will see minimal cosmetic change. It's all about features from now on.
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 59
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    When I think of content in portrait mode, I think of morons who do not know how to shoot video properly on their phones. It's amazing how many people upload portrait mode videos to youtube. There should be a law against that, with fines increasing for each subsequent offense. I don't expect people to have the film skills of a Speilberg, but I do expect them to at least have the intelligence to not shoot video on their phone in portrait mode. This issue is at least as important as many other political issues that some people claim to care about nowadays. It is one of the great struggles of our time, if you ask me.

YES, thank you! Portrait video is the worst, next to climate change 

I want congress to pass a law that requires that all phones capture video in the proper aspect ratio, regardless of orientation. Actually, Apple has the ability to right this wrong.
    Blame users, not Apple. There're so many idiots out there who can't tell the difference between the phone orientations. iPhone doesn't have square shape. Do users need to be reminded that portrait orientation recording can't display lanscape?
  • Reply 26 of 59
    fallenjt said:
    1983 said:
    So no waterproofing now either...so what are we going to end up with? A slightly thinner 'non-metallic' body (maybe) no headphone jack and a dual camera system (maybe) on certain models, oh and a faster SoC. Not exactly exciting.
    What will excite you? Double edges like Samsung? iPhone is mature. You will see minimal cosmetic change. It's all about features from now on.
    Dual screens such as on the LG V10 would be compelling. As would be swappable modules for such things as much better cameras, high definition audio or a second battery like the LG G5. http://www.androidcentral.com/quick-look-lg-g5-vs-lg-v10
    Also, 6 GB of LDDR4 RAM and the Snapdragon 820 on the Vivo Xplay 5 makes it officially the fastest phone in the world ... faster than Galaxy S7 and the iPhone 6s. 

Finally, although it is a Windows 10 device, the HP Elite x3 is a 6' phone that - when used with its accompanying dock accessories - can be used as a tablet and a touchscreen laptop. Funny, they were able to get a Continuum-ready device on the market before Microsoft was. The Samsung Galaxy Note 6 will do the same, as Google and Samsung are working (together!) on putting similar features in Android N, and the device will have either 6 GB or 8 GB of RAM to accommodate it. 

So A) Samsung has never been the only company to innovate in this space - in fact the current Android flagship design that most OEMs use is based on the HTC M7, not a Samsung phone - and B) there are still a lot of design features out there. Just as Apple took fingerprint scanners from the Motorola Atrix and HTC One Max Android phones and made them mainstream, I could definitely see future iPhones doing the same with LG's dual screens and custom modules. 

And yes, Apple will introduce their own devices with Samsung and LG style curved and bendable screens, and do so as early as 2018. Whether it excites you or not, it is happening.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Why would the mockup designer choose to shift the Lightning port to the side? There's no point, and it would make docking it unbalanced.
    webweaselnetmagecornchippscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 59
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm excited for the 7 as my 5S seems to be magically shrinking. I need BIG. I'll echo another earlier poster in that I hope it has a 2nd speaker that is optimized for landscape orientation. This would be better for games as well if used with an Apple TV.

I'll be glad to see the 3.5 mm jack disappear. I'll be even more chipper if the lightning cable is sped up a bit for USB 3, whatever that entails.

Here's stuff I hope Apple copies from Android....just stuff I've read about:

- shatter proof (or near) glass

I guess that's it. And if this thing is thinner than the 6 generation, I'm going to need a really sticky case from Apple so I don't drop it.

Lastly, Apple, keep working on call quality, tho I know this has more to do with the carriers.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    bulldogs said:
    fallenjt said:
    Dual screens such as on the LG V10 would be compelling. As would be swappable modules for such things as much better cameras, high definition audio or a second battery like the LG G5. http://www.androidcentral.com/quick-look-lg-g5-vs-lg-v10
    Also, 6 GB of LDDR4 RAM and the Snapdragon 820 on the Vivo Xplay 5 makes it officially the fastest phone in the world ... faster than Galaxy S7 and the iPhone 6s. 

Finally, although it is a Windows 10 device, the HP Elite x3 is a 6' phone that - when used with its accompanying dock accessories - can be used as a tablet and a touchscreen laptop. Funny, they were able to get a Continuum-ready device on the market before Microsoft was. The Samsung Galaxy Note 6 will do the same, as Google and Samsung are working (together!) on putting similar features in Android N, and the device will have either 6 GB or 8 GB of RAM to accommodate it. 

So A) Samsung has never been the only company to innovate in this space - in fact the current Android flagship design that most OEMs use is based on the HTC M7, not a Samsung phone - and B) there are still a lot of design features out there. Just as Apple took fingerprint scanners from the Motorola Atrix and HTC One Max Android phones and made them mainstream, I could definitely see future iPhones doing the same with LG's dual screens and custom modules. 

And yes, Apple will introduce their own devices with Samsung and LG style curved and bendable screens, and do so as early as 2018. Whether it excites you or not, it is happening.
    Actually HP were not able to get a Continuum device into the market before Microsoft was.  Microsoft has already got Continuum devices out in the 950 and 950XL whereas the HP Elite X3 is still months away from coming to the market.
    netmage
  • Reply 30 of 59
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    bugsnw said:
    I'm excited for the 7 as my 5S seems to be magically shrinking. I need BIG. I'll echo another earlier poster in that I hope it has a 2nd speaker that is optimized for landscape orientation. This would be better for games as well if used with an Apple TV.

I'll be glad to see the 3.5 mm jack disappear. I'll be even more chipper if the lightning cable is sped up a bit for USB 3, whatever that entails.

Here's stuff I hope Apple copies from Android....just stuff I've read about:

- shatter proof (or near) glass

I guess that's it. And if this thing is thinner than the 6 generation, I'm going to need a really sticky case from Apple so I don't drop it.

Lastly, Apple, keep working on call quality, tho I know this has more to do with the carriers.

The problem with the shatter proof glass is that is not really glass.  It is more like a plastic and is very prone to scratching.  I agree though that I would rather apple not keep reducing the thickness of the glass as it does make the screen more liable to shatter if dropped.  Give me a slightly thicker phone with a more durable screen and a larger battery please.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    mattinoz said:
    That should just call it the iPhone 2017 and do away the crappy number S branding.

Also pulling 1mm out of thickness seems a stretch for a single model.
    How would that work when they're selling it in two years time free wit the contract? Would you buy a phone called the 2013? It's not going to drive sales is it?
  • Reply 32 of 59
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Lack of waterproofing.

Nice Apple. you seen the new Samsung?

Yeah, waterproofing.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
    fred1 said:
    A question from someone who knows almost nothing tech:

Is it possible to make a headphone jack to Lightning adaptor?   I mean, could someone make an adaptor so I can use my "regular" headphones with the Lightning port?     Just wondering . . .
    If Apple drops the lightning port you can bet they will sell an adapter (for $20) or maybe even include one in the box. It's not straightforward because lightning ports are digital audio whereas the 30 pin connectors and headphone jacks are analogue, so you would need a DAC as part of the adapter a bit like the current Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    1983 said:

Right now we've got nothing apart from a rumour (following a series of other rumours.)
    edited March 2016 netmage
  • Reply 35 of 59
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    What's the verdict on wireless charging?
  • Reply 36 of 59
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Probably none.

Some 220 billion in the bankad we can't get waterproofing or wireless charging.

Probably takee the headphone jack away.

And probably still 16 GB ram to start.

But hey, they are going all in on encryption though!
  • Reply 37 of 59
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    Well the 6S was not much of a tech bump from the 6....I never even use the 6S new features....If there are no wiz-bang features then why bother to get a 7...surely not to lose the Headphone jack?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    fred1 said:
    A question from someone who knows almost nothing tech:

Is it possible to make a headphone jack to Lightning adaptor?   I mean, could someone make an adaptor so I can use my "regular" headphones with the Lightning port?     Just wondering . . .
    Sure. Apple already make this with the iPhone dock, it's just a different form factor.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

IMO, wireless charging is a waste of time, money and effort. You can't use the phone while it's charging or you can't charge it while it's being used. You have to worry where you set it down, need multiple charge units around your house or office. It takes less than two hours to fully charge from almost dead. Simple enough to live with a wire for a short time.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:

msantti said:
    Lack of waterproofing.

Nice Apple. you seen the new Samsung?

Yeah, waterproofing.
    If you have a bad habit of dropping your phone in the toilet you should buy a Samsung.

For the other 99.99% we are happy with having a phone that is thinner and lighter because it isn't fully waterproof.  Although the iPhone6 can be submerged in a toilet for a few seconds without damage.
    I know it doesn't rain in Texas but it does in many other parts of the world.

Oh - and the S7 Edge is only 0.4mm thicker than the 6S+ and is a whopping 35g lighter and has 30% more battery capacity - and it is noticeably smaller.