Macs will be able to stream PS4 games over Wi-Fi 'soon,' Sony says

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2016
PlayStation 4 owners will soon be able to stream their games to a Mac or Windows PC via the console's Remote Play feature, Sony announced on Tuesday.

The option is coming with the PS4's next major software update, v3.50, Sony said. While that update is going into public beta testing on Wednesday, gamers will have to wait for the finished version of the software to try the extended Remote Play. Currently there is no official release date.

The technology currently streams games over Wi-Fi to a handful of Sony-made devices, including the PlayStation Vita, the PlayStation TV, and Xperia phones. Adding non-Sony platforms should significantly improve access.

Sony's chief rival in the console space, Microsoft, has allowed gamers to stream Xbox One titles to a Windows PC since the release of Windows 10 last year.

Some other planned upgrades in the PS4 update include friend login notifications, the ability to appear offline, and easier multiplayer with friends thanks to scheduled events and the display of what each member of a party is playing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    So more Sony Copying Microsoft I see!
    tallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 21
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I'm trying to figure out the big deal about this feature... other than the fact that it doubles your power consumption while gaming. Is it for people who don't have a regular television and need to send video output to a monitor which is connected to a PC/Mac? Or does it allow multiple people to play at the same time (using multiple screens)?
    edited March 2016 potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 3 of 21
    auxio said:
    I'm trying to figure out the big deal about this feature... other than the fact that it doubles your power consumption while gaming. Is it for people who don't have a regular television and need to send video output to a monitor which is connected to a PC/Mac? Or does it allow multiple people to play at the same time (using multiple screens)?
    I am in the same camp as you. Could someone please explain the benefit of this?
    potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 4 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    jbdragon said:
    Actually, no. Microsoft copied Sony. Sony has had game streaming since the PS3. 
    Anifreediverx
  • Reply 5 of 21
    auxio said:
    Assuming this is like Remote Play on the Vita, you don't even need to be at your house to play. Or if you're at home and someone is on your main TV (wife for example) you can just play the titles on your computer. 
    Ani
  • Reply 6 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    auxio said:
    If someone only has one TV at home, you can use remote play to play your games while someone watches something else. You can actually use Remote Play to stream movies or music you have stored on your PS4 anywhere in the world. You can remotely control your PS4, even if it is off at home. 
  • Reply 7 of 21
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    auxio said:
    Don't have to lug around the PS4 from room to room.

Sony's game streaming works pretty well.

Nice feature to have anyways if one has a PS4.

I do.
    Anipotatoleeksoupnasserae
  • Reply 8 of 21
    auxio said:
    Assuming this is like Remote Play on the Vita, you don't even need to be at your house to play. Or if you're at home and someone is on your main TV (wife for example) you can just play the titles on your computer. 
    OK. So this works like Steam streaming. Cool feature.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    almondrocaalmondroca Posts: 179member
    jbdragon said:
    Actually, no. Microsoft copied Sony. Sony has had game streaming since the PS3. 
    Right, and you still can't stream an Xbox One feed to a Mac. Need to use Windows 10 on a VM or Bootcamp.
    Ani
  • Reply 10 of 21
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    This is a win for PS4 owners like myself. Thanks Sony!
    nasserae
  • Reply 11 of 21
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Might be handy for mmo type games if they can take advantage of the keyboard. 
  • Reply 12 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    msantti said:
    auxio said:
    Don't have to lug around the PS4 from room to room.

Sony's game streaming works pretty well.

Nice feature to have anyways if one has a PS4.

I do.
    That's exactly why I have been waiting for this feature. I even considered getting this but the screen is too small.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Personal-Environment-consoles-playstation-4/dp/B00H0R9DSG
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 13 of 21
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

lwio said:
    I believe you cannot use the keyboard. You will still need a PS4 controller connected to the PC/Mac.
    lwio
  • Reply 14 of 21
    After 10 years my PS3 is dying. I was apprehensive about buying a PS4 since I read it don't play PS3 games. But looks like there isn't going to be a choice now...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    nasserae said:

lwio said:
    I believe you cannot use the keyboard. You will still need a PS4 controller connected to the PC/Mac.
    That's a deal breaker for me. Using the PS4 controller is going to be troublesome for anyone who has properly set up HDMI-CEC on their TV. The moment I activate my PS4 controller, it automatically turns on the TV and switches the source to the PS4.

• Reply 16 of 21
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 137member
    auxio said:
    Just yesterday I was playing PS4 (it's in the basement) and thinking that it would be nice to play some games on my computer. Maybe it's sunny, or I feel like the iMac screen, or I want to play a game that works best with KB/Mouse. Then lo and behold... today's news.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Assuming this is like Remote Play on the Vita, you don't even need to be at your house to play. 
    But the Vita has 1/4 HD resolution. I'm assuming a version of Remote Play meant for the Mac would support full HD video, or am I being overly optimistic?

Also, does Remote Play stream the game video directly from one's PS4 to the target device, or is Sony actually sending the video directly from their servers? I would imagine that most people's internet upload speeds are too slow to stream HD video out to the internet.

• Reply 18 of 21
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Cool, but useless.

Steam Streaming has no practical use because you're increasing the latency by a significant amount (yes even if the machines are side by side and connected by cross-over ethernet cables. Throw in WiFi and now there is an entire set of two RF conversions on top of the TCP/IP overhead.

From a practical sense, I'll name a few reasons why'd you want to stream the Video, but not actually play on the other device:
    1) Competitive gaming. Stream the game to your recording station instead of inducing extra delays by splitting the video and sending it over a transcoding cycle just to reach the mixing computer.
    2) Live streaming, where you combine your avatar/face with the game footage. This makes the most practical sense for this, but also isn't really the intent.
    3) Play games on your big-screen TV instead of a computer monitor... wait wouldn't this mean streaming your Mac to the PS4 instead? See this is what Steam's "streaming" is designed for but rarely used as such. When you reverse it, play your PS4 on your PC/Mac, this is mainly a "I don't want to unhook all that crap in the living room" situation.

In practice the latency issues will make sure that people don't play single player games this way very long, because it requires re-training (think you're good at a game? try streaming your twitchy steam games to another computer and watch how you're not as good as you think you are.) This is why streaming games as video from PSN or Microsoft will never take off for the vast majority of single player games, there is just too much round-trip latency for it to be practical. Multiplayer is another animal, as the games are already designed around compensating for latency.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    jbdragon said:
    No, you don't see.

RemotePlay between PS3 and PSP exists for quite some time; From 2010 at least. Later on, it was expanded to PS3 to Vita and PS4 to Vita streaming.

Not sure about this part - but if Wiki got it right, PS3 to Sony Vaio computers was also enabled with PS3 firmware update back in 2010.

All that happens here is Sony expanding their tech at their pace.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 20 of 21
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

misa said:
    Cool, but useless.

Steam Streaming has no practical use because you're increasing the latency by a significant amount (yes even if the machines are side by side and connected by cross-over ethernet cables. Throw in WiFi and now there is an entire set of two RF conversions on top of the TCP/IP overhead.

From a practical sense, I'll name a few reasons why'd you want to stream the Video, but not actually play on the other device:
    1) Competitive gaming. Stream the game to your recording station instead of inducing extra delays by splitting the video and sending it over a transcoding cycle just to reach the mixing computer.
    2) Live streaming, where you combine your avatar/face with the game footage. This makes the most practical sense for this, but also isn't really the intent.
    3) Play games on your big-screen TV instead of a computer monitor... wait wouldn't this mean streaming your Mac to the PS4 instead? See this is what Steam's "streaming" is designed for but rarely used as such. When you reverse it, play your PS4 on your PC/Mac, this is mainly a "I don't want to unhook all that crap in the living room" situation.

In practice the latency issues will make sure that people don't play single player games this way very long, because it requires re-training (think you're good at a game? try streaming your twitchy steam games to another computer and watch how you're not as good as you think you are.) This is why streaming games as video from PSN or Microsoft will never take off for the vast majority of single player games, there is just too much round-trip latency for it to be practical. Multiplayer is another animal, as the games are already designed around compensating for latency.
    It is not huge system mover for sure, but... for people who have PS4 plugged to main TV in living room (where it might be serving as BD player, too) it might be handy to be able to redirect game to different screen, when your other half wants to watch something. Especially for people who don't have more than one TV in their household, so moving PS4 is not an option.