DxO One iPhone camera drops to $499, updates with new app-based features

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
DxO on Tuesday announced an immediate price drop for its DxO One iPhone camera, along with an update to the hardware's companion iPhone app, introducing several new features.

Pricewise the DxO One is now $499, down from $599. And authorized resellers like B&H Photo and Amazon have marked it down even further to $464.00. To reach this however, the company has unbunbled its FilmPack and OpticsPro desktop apps, making them paid extras.

Through version 1.3 of the iPhone app, the camera's OLED display can be used as a framing assistant for quick composition. The update further introduces a motion blur alert, and a new way of adjusting metering, white balance, and focus modes. Those elements can also be seen in the camera's viewfinder alongside an iPhone's battery level.

Shooters can newly specify compression levels for JPEG files, and bitrate for videos. When browsing photos, the gallery will now sort images in the same order as iOS' Photos app, and image sharing has gained a confirmation message. Finally, a Message Center feature connects users to DxO and provides information on using the camera.

The DxO One enables higher-quality shooting than with an iPhone's own camera, thanks to a 20.2-megapixel sensor, adjustable aperture and shutter settings, higher light sensitivity, and expandable storage.

Although the camera is designed for iPhones from the iPhone 5 on up, it can also be used with iPads dating back to the fourth-generation model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It seems to me what is more needed is a DSLR with Dropbox connectivity for auto-sync, not this attached to an iPhone. iPhone is a good camera—for a smartphone. There's no comparing with with a decent DSLR.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    ireland said:
    It seems to me what is more needed is a DSLR with Dropbox connectivity for auto-sync, not this attached to an iPhone. iPhone is a good camera—for a smartphone. There's no comparing with with a decent DSLR.
    Th idea behind it is no need to carry a big DLSR along with you. you can just attach this 20 mega pixel low light sensor to your iPhone and use the iPhone for the view master and to control functions. They key here is whether or not people think $499 is worth, it would say no. @ $299 probably get a good amount of people
  • Reply 3 of 10
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    peteo said:
    ireland said:
    Th idea behind it is no need to carry a big DLSR along with you. you can just attach this 20 mega pixel low light sensor to your iPhone and use the iPhone for the view master and to control functions. They key here is whether or not people think $499 is worth, it would say no. @ $299 probably get a good amount of people
    Without zooming, there is no point spending $500 on such thing. 
    stickista1983
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    I'll say it again: Adding a fixed-lens attachment to an iPhone that already has a fixed-lens camera was stupid. 

I understand the larger sensor, but the thing that could have made this a "must have" item would have been adding the same 1" sensor with a ZOOM lens. Something the iPhone sorely lacks,

Now the price drop which indicates that sales aren't great and that people aren't buying them for that very reason.

I know that's why I didn't....
    am84491983
  • Reply 5 of 10
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    ireland said:
    The DxO One doesn't use the iPhone camera, it is itself a camera.

And judging from published results, a pretty capable one at that.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

tzeshan said:

Without zooming, there is no point spending $500 on such thing. 
    Yeah, it makes no sense to use, say, a Leica rangefinder camera. Or any of the innumerable fixed-lens cameras that were used over more than a century to make historic, memorable images.

It's clearly not a camera for every conceivable subject, but it's not useless either.
    pscooter631983
  • Reply 7 of 10
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Folks, the performance is all in the lens, just adding a 20 meg pixel sensor does not help much and comparing this to DLSR camera is not the same thing. I can do things with my DLSR which cameras phones can not an I would image this is not much better. Again it is all about the lens and I have lots of money invested in lens.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    steveh said:
    ireland said:
    The DxO One doesn't use the iPhone camera, it is itself a camera.

And judging from published results, a pretty capable one at that.
    Understood. But Without optical zoom its DOA. Sad because with zoom I really would have bought it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Question for the group: Which iOS device has the best camera (optics, sensor, etc.). I know "best" is subjective, but if you examined the specs, which would you choose, especially if you find yourself in low-light situations?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    ireland said:
    First: You can't keep a DSLR in your pocket for always present convenience.  The best camera is the one you always have.

Second: The DxO One is too a compromised solution.  

At a similar price, for example, I can purchase the Sony RX100 II.  This gives you:
    • A pocket sized camera you can use independently of the iPhone
    • 20.9 MP 1"-type Exmor R CMOS sensor
    • 28-100mm equivalent F/1.8-4.9 lens
    • Continuous shooting up to 10 FPS
    • ISO 160-12800, expandable ISO 100, 125, and 25,600
    • 3.0 inch tiltable TFT LCD with 1,229,000 dots
    • 1080 60p/24p HD video with full exposure control (MPEG-4/AVCHD)
    • Steady-Shot image stabilization
    • Smart Accessory Shoe for system accessories - such as a flash head to immensely improve people photos, to better control the lighting in photos
    • Built-in WiFi and NFC for sharing and remote camera control - allowing you to transfer your photos to the iPhone so you can do with them as you desire.

It has every advantage of the DxO One but is much more capable at the same price. 
    And the Sony RX100 II is future proofed from changes in new iPhone models - such as eliminating the lightning port.