Say Goodnight, Iomega

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have had it. I've complained before (as many others over the years) about Iomega and that's it. Screw it. 128 kb per second file transfers in OS X is unaceptable. I've tried everything except complain to Iomega...and why should I? Waste of time since my drive is over 3 years old.

Now I'll only use it when some moron hands me a Zip disc or I have to give another moron one for their old and busted Iomega drive. Mine will now gather dust with my external floppie drive (it's a flash card reader too...so it has some uses...).

New hotness? RW-CDs...I know, I may have taken my damn time with this but in OS 9 Zip discs worked fast and reliably. In OS X they won't. And I don't blame Apple at all. It's old and busted Iomega.

Seeya MoFo!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    A few months ago I copied all of my files from zip disks onto my hard drive and erased the zip disks and don't plan to use them ever again.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    If you take apart a Zip Disk, the disks inside make good Christmas ornaments.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I keep my ol' USB 100 MB Zip drive around just in case, but I haven't touched it in quite while. Nothing to do with any resentment towards IOmega, though, that whole click-of-death thing had me at my wit's end more than once. I've found that CD-RW and CD-R are very cheap, easy replacements for ZIPs, plus all my old stuff that was archived on ZIPs (isn't that a scary thought!) was moved onto my 40 GB drive in my iMac and further backed up onto CD-Rs.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    **/me gives Iomega the click of death.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Here comes a normal two word EmAn post...

Iomega sucks.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    who here went to the iomega booth at MWNY this year?

was anyone there when a guy in the audience started to yell at the presenter?

if you have ever seen requium for a dream, think of the guy on the juice commercials... thats what the guy @ iomega was like...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    you know, i had the same problem originally with my tibook 550 and an old 250 zip. but i noticed that it was slower than death only when i tried to read the old 100 zip disks. the 250s i think worked ok. i had to download the zip driver just so it would work even though (its an external scsi) i had it connected by an orange micro scsi-firewire converter. go figure
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I just put the archives from £230 of Zip disks on to about £10 of CD-RW. Hence £220 of storage space, free.

The only thing that annoys me is having to erase completly and start again from scratch, but I'll find a way around that one day.

Andrew
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Wait, you forgot to figure the price of the drive into your numbers. OH! It's also cheeper!!! No wonder Iomage makes CD-RW drives now.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Did find one thing that helped in OSX with saving files. I reformatted the Zip disk with Disk Utility in X. The save times went up from about 1 MG a minute to almost 9MG's a minute. Still no speed burner, but a big improvement. Not sure why the reformat made that much difference.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The best of storage devices I have are from Iomega. They have offered some of the most innovative and economical options....from simplest to really huge storage needs. External hds which Im using now have fallproof features. This security wasnt possible with any of my other brand ext hdrives. Plus, there has been no problems with transfer speeds nor with connectivity. Cheers to Iomega
  • Reply 12 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Your stirring defense comes 8 years too late.