With iPad refresh looming, stock runs low on Apple's older models

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2016
Consumers are finding some iPad models difficult to get their hands on, as resellers have begun showing depleted stock ahead of a late March press event at which Apple is widely expected to debut the iPad Air 2's successor.

As indicated in AppleInsider's own price guides, numerous iPad models are on backorder or simply sold out. The iPad Air and Air 2 -- the two devices most likely to be supplanted -- are experiencing the most serious stock outs.

Also affected are older iPad mini versions. While the iPad mini 4 is still in abundant supply, the mini 2 is harder to find.

The supply constraints don't appear to affect Apple's own retail channels, as the majority if iPad models are currently listed as "In Stock" through the company's online store.

Apple is rumored to introduce the so-called iPad Air 3 alongside a new 4-inch iPhone at a press event on March 22. Some reports have suggested that Apple may actually brand it as a smaller iPad Pro, bringing with it support for the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    iPad changes...
    • iPad mini 2: Discontinued
    • iPad mini 4: 16GB model will see a price drop.
    • iPad Air: Discontinued
    • iPad Air 2: Price dropped
    • iPad: Air moniker dropped. All of the same features as the Pro; Pencil Support, Smart Connector, A9 clocked @ 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, and only come with 32GB or 64GB, no 128GB option. Screen size, processor, memory, and storage specs kept lower to differentiate from Pro model.

iPhone...
    • iPhone 5s: Discontinued
    • iPhone SE: Upgraded iPhone 5s to an A8 SoC and NFC for ApplePay support.
    • iPhone 6s mini: 4" variant of the 6s - all the same features.

Mac...
    • MacBook Air: Discontinued
    • MacBook: current model price dropped, new model released with 2 USB-C ports.

Updated...
    Oops, my bad. I meant the iPhone SE updated for ApplePay support, not TouchID.
    edited March 2016 josha
  • Reply 2 of 19
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Pretty sure we'll see a base iPad with 32GB for $499 and an upper end iPad with 128GB for $649. Two tiers only. Makes killer sense and profits for Apple and keeps customers happy. MacBook Air will see no updates...it's legacy. New MacBook with a second USB port.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    mjtomlin said:

iPhone...
    • iPhone SE: Upgraded iPhone 5s to an A8 SoC for TouchID support.

I hate to break this to you, but the 5s already has TouchID.
    chia
  • Reply 4 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Indeed it does. It has Touch ID, but not Apple Pay in store, but I believe that Apple Pay works with a 5s if somebody also has an Apple Watch.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 19
    schlack said:
    Pretty sure we'll see a base iPad with 32GB for $499 and an upper end iPad with 128GB for $649. Two tiers only. Makes killer sense and profits for Apple and keeps customers happy. MacBook Air will see no updates...it's legacy. New MacBook with a second USB port.
    I think a lot of customers, myself included, would be very unhappy to lose the option of a 64GB iPad. 
    jahblade
  • Reply 6 of 19
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    apple ][ said:

Indeed it does. It has Touch ID, but not Apple Pay in store, but I believe that Apple Pay works with a 5s if somebody also has an Apple Watch.
    Yes, Apple Pay works great with 5s and watch. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    mjtomlin said:
    iPad changes...
    Why the depleted stock on this model then?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    If history is a guide, the iPad Air 2 price will drop to $399, which is the same price for a similarly spec'd mini 4. This would likely mean a price drop for the mini 4 to $349 and no older mini offered. As for the iPhone 5S, it has been reported it will be retained for a price of $225. The iPhone SE will sell for the current 5S price.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    You know everything. We get it.

mjtomlin said:
    iPad changes...
    • iPad: Air moniker dropped. All of the same features as the Pro; Pencil Support, Smart Connector, A9 clocked @ 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, and only come with 32GB or 64GB, no 128GB option. Screen size, processor, memory, and storage specs kept lower to differentiate from Pro model.

iPhone...

Mac...
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mjtomlin said:

iPhone...

I meant to say ApplePay support ... original post was updated. Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 19

bdkennedy said:
    You know everything. We get it.

mjtomlin said:
    iPad changes...

iPhone...

Mac...

Apparently you don't get it. It's obviously just a guess. It's based off my belief that after the March event, Apple wants all shipping products on A8 or later.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    mjtomlin said:
    iPad changes...
    • iPad: only come with 32GB or 64GB, no 128GB option.

iPhone...

Mac...

Very good suggestions for my future Apple purchases. Will Apple be in tune ?   I hope so.
    I couldn't wait for the iPhone6s, so I bought a clear out 5c with only 16gb.  IMO 32gb should now be the minimum with iOS devices.
    I've been holding off on the MacBook.  I like it a lot, but only one USB port is ridiculous!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Sort of tempted by a new 9.7 iPad, mine is a first Gen Air so there's room for improvement. Pencil navigation could be the trigger as I'm not all that fond of fingerprints... and my photo library now has a LOT of 40MB images off my d800 Nikon.... and editing on a fast pad with a pencil would be nice.
    edited March 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mjtomlin said:
    iPad changes...

iPhone...
    • iPhone SE: Upgraded iPhone 5s to an A8 SoC and NFC for ApplePay support.

Mac...

Updated...
    Oops, my bad. I meant the iPhone SE updated for ApplePay support, not TouchID.
    5s discontinued everywhere except outside the developed where it become the low end.

If they kept the regular Ipad's on the same resolution and didn't change the speakers, just by changing chips to an underclocked A9X with 2G they could make it much much thinner and lighter, maybe 300g and 5mm, which would clearly differentiate it from the pro model which would be the same weight as the current one with beefier specs and the drawing digitizer.

So,

Ipad Air 4, 300g 5mm,  A9 clocked higher than in the 6s+ and 2G, otherwise no change (no screen res change is what allows the lower weight). The massive weight drop is the draw here.
    Ipad Pro, 430g, 6.1 (same as current), 3Gb memory, a9x a bit underclocked from big Pro, higher resolution screen,

A pro Mini 4, would have a A9, 3Gb of memory with the digitizer.

I think the digitizer is going to be used accross the line as a pro implement; not everyone needs that, some want just the lightest Ipad they can get (like my parents).

edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I just bought an iPad Pro at the beginning of this year. I'm desperately looking for a reason to pick up the new one!!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    What about a MacBook Pro 15'' update announcement? :(
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 17 of 19
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    I second that. We're way overdue a meaningful upgrade on MacBook Pro, iMac and particularly the Mac Pro. :( 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 18 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I second that. We're way overdue a meaningful upgrade on MacBook Pro, iMac and particularly the Mac Pro. :( 
    Well, if they just change the inside, it could easily be announced at the event without much fanfare and also not leak.
    Things built in the US also have less tendency to leak than in Asia; the macbook pro I think is made in the US.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    foggyhill said:
    Well, if they just change the inside, it could easily be announced at the event without much fanfare and also not leak.
    Things built in the US also have less tendency to leak than in Asia; the macbook pro I think is made in the US.
    But that's the thing: all they've done since 2013 is only slightly changing the inside. It's basically the same machine inside out. Considering the product & industrial design cycles of Apple, this pace is glacial. 

Also, it's the Mac Pro that is made in the US. As far as I'm concerned the MacBook Pro's are made in China. 
    pulseimages