Apple Pay a hit in China with 3 million cards added in 2 days

Posted:
in iPhone
Chinese consumers have flocked to Apple's contactless payment solution in the weeks since its debut, with one bank reporting that more than 3 million cards were activated on Apple Pay in the first 2 days of availability.

The activation figures come via China Merchants Bank, one of the country's largest financial institutions. Its customers were responsible for approximately 1 million activations -- around one third of the total.

"I would rate our first-day performance as 1,000, if the full score is 100," Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey told Chinese press, as noted by Internet Retailer.

The biggest beneficiaries of Apple Pay's launch were said to be Groupon competitors Meituan and Dianping, Starbucks, convenience store chain FamilyMart, and McDonald's.

On average, Apple Pay users in China spent just over $15 each during the launch period. One web-based retailer booked more than 10,000 Apple Pay orders.

In all, nearly 20 banks representing 80 percent of UnionPay cards issued in China are on board with Apple Pay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    China keeps showing up the rest of the world. It's too bad no one in China can afford Apple's products¡
    anantksundaramlostkiwipscooter63banchojony0
  • Reply 2 of 48
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Tim Cook had predicted 2015 would be "The Year of Apple Pay", but I'm thinking it may be this year.  2015 laid the foundation, seeded the market, and got an initial surge from early adopters.  2016 may be when use grows beyond those early adopters... including the growing list of non-US markets.
    lostkiwidacharjony0jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Soli said:
    China keeps showing up the rest of the world. It's too bad no one in China can afford Apple's products¡
    who's buying them if it's not the chinese people? Not everyone in china is a peasant living in a mud hut ye know.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    adm1 said:
    Soli said:
    who's buying them if it's not the chinese people? Not everyone in china is a peasant living in a mud hut ye know.
    You didn't notice his sarcasm tag. 
    fotoformatmagman1979SpamSandwichlostkiwipscooter63banchojony0chia
  • Reply 5 of 48
    I'm noticing more merchants take Apple Pay in California and understand what's going on than in Washington state. This makes sense and I'm not sure how much more training Apple can give to get merchants to use it. I still see lots of chip readers not being used and others with notes on them saying they're broken. The latter could simply be a lack of understanding on how to configure them. 
    cali
  • Reply 6 of 48
    sog35 said:
    I gave up using ApplePay (have 6+ and Watch) because so many places don't accept it.
    I don't know where you live, but I don't know what you expected so soon after the introduction of a new service that requires banks to rejigger their back end to support Apple Pay, and for merchants to suppose NFC. I bet there are plenty of places you make sales that Apple Pay would have worked fine if you had just tried. Not seeing an Apple Pay stick on the retailer's door or an ad on TV doesn't mean it's not supported. Very few companies are "like Walmart" that are actively blocking NFC payments through their system because of Apple Pay.

Apple Pay, or rather devicePay, us the future. Apple Pay has been a remarkable success in the short time since its launch 1.5 years ago.
    jbdragonlostkiwidacharjony0chia
  • Reply 7 of 48
    sog35 said:
    So much success in China because many merchants accept digital payments.

Unlike in the US where companies like WalMart want to mind customer data and don't allow Apple Pay.  

I gave up using ApplePay (have 6+ and Watch) because so many places don't accept it.
    Maybe the only way to force merchants into accepting Apple Pay would be to get the credit card companies to restrict use of their cards to only chip readers and NFC, no more magnetic strip or manual entry of card numbers. Without credit card use many stores would see a significant drop in business. Is this legal? Maybe not but mining customer data probably isn't either. 
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Soli said:
    What are you talking about? China has a growing middle class. There's now like 40 Big Apple stores in China that are generally packed full. Apple products are selling like crazy in China. So saying no one in China can afford them is laughable.
    dacharbobschlob
  • Reply 9 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    rob53 said:
    sog35 said:

Unlike in the US where companies like WalMart want to mind customer data and don't allow Apple Pay.  

Maybe the only way to force merchants into accepting Apple Pay would be to get the credit card companies to restrict use of their cards to only chip readers and NFC, no more magnetic strip or manual entry of card numbers. Without credit card use many stores would see a significant drop in business. Is this legal? Maybe not but mining customer data probably isn't either. 
    My Credit cards still don't have a chip in them! This is how how slow the banks are dragging their feet. Almost like they don't card about all the fraud going on.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Android smartphones outsell iPhones 4 to 1.  Doesn't Google copied Apple Pay completely so Android Pay works exactly as Apple Pay?  
  • Reply 11 of 48
    rob53 said:
    sog35 said:

Yes, it's legal, and it's being done in the US. I'm not sure how the rules are being enforced, but there are plenty of merchants I use that now require the chip reader to be used if the card has a chip. It's my understanding that if they allow the magnetic strip (which is easily spoofed, unlike the chip), the merchant will then be responsible for any fraud with that purchase, not the customer's bank.

I wish the banks would also push Apple Pay—and other similar services that use the bank-controlled setup of per-device card number alias—by giving retailers a transaction discount because it's nearly impossible to be used for fraud unless you have access to personal information about the card or device owner. This would also have the benefit of increasing the timeframe for a "minimum level of acceptance" that would cause people to leave the house with no physical cards on them, which is the threshold for when the benefits of Apple Pay will be truly recognized in society. 
  • Reply 12 of 48
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Soli said:
    You ain't know shit about Chinese or Asian. They can spend 4-5 month salary to buy a damn phone. Talking about 1.3 billion population huh.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    tzeshan said:
    Android smartphones outsell iPhones 4 to 1.  Doesn't Google copied Apple Pay completely so Android Pay works exactly as Apple Pay?  
    No it doesn't.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    sog35 said:

I used my Apple Watch with ApplePay at Walgreens yesterday and it was so easy and seamless. The cashier was astonished! Her reaction was "wow you can use your Apple Watch with that too?!" and my reaction was "Yup!" with a big smile. Sure beats having to go into my wallet, get my card out, take the receipt, deal with receipt in my pocket or wallet and put my card back. Really does speed things up.
    magman1979lostkiwidacharjbdragonbadmonk
  • Reply 15 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    fallenjt said:
    tzeshan said:
    No it doesn't.
    I know Google Wallet works differently from Apple Pay.  It was released earlier than Apple Pay.  But when Apple Pay came out Google quickly abandoned it and replaced it with Android Pay which works exactly as Apple Pay.  
    jbdragon
  • Reply 16 of 48
    fallenjt said:
    Soli said:
    You ain't know shit about Chinese or Asian. They can spend 4-5 month salary to buy a damn phone. Talking about 1.3 billion population huh.
    What is with you people? Don't you read any of the other comments? He was being sarcastic. Do you know what that means? 
    Solianantksundarammagman1979pscooter63bancho
  • Reply 17 of 48
    rob53 said:
    fallenjt said:
    What is with you people? Don't you read any of the other comments? He was being sarcastic. Do you know what that means? 
    I thought my first sentence where I clearly praise China's performance in technology adoption was enough of a clue that the following sentence was satirical, and clearly mocking that old meme that the Chinese can't afford Apple products. Oh well.
    edited March 2016 anantksundarampscooter63bancho
  • Reply 18 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rob53 said:
    I'm noticing more merchants take Apple Pay in California and understand what's going on than in Washington state. This makes sense and I'm not sure how much more training Apple can give to get merchants to use it. I still see lots of chip readers not being used and others with notes on them saying they're broken. The latter could simply be a lack of understanding on how to configure them. 
    I used Apple Pay at the grocery store again and was again confounded when it came time to use the damn thing. This time the girl at the register told me when to use TouchID. I think the thing that trips me up is there's no onscreen prompt when I'm at the terminal.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    sog35 said:

Unlike in the US where companies like WalMart want to mine customer data and don't allow Apple Pay. 

Totally agree, and it's disgusting.  I personally will never, ever use a digital payment system other than Apple Pay because it's a system designed to benefit the consumer.
    lostkiwicalijbdragon
  • Reply 20 of 48
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member

sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    I don't know where you live, but I don't know what you expected so soon after the introduction of a new service that requires banks to rejigger their back end to support Apple Pay, and for merchants to suppose NFC. I bet there are plenty of places you make sales that Apple Pay would have worked fine if you had just tried. Not seeing an Apple Pay stick on the retailer's door or an ad on TV doesn't mean it's not supported. Very few companies are "like Walmart" that are actively blocking NFC payments through their system because of Apple Pay.

Apple Pay, or rather devicePay, us the future. Apple Pay has been a remarkable success in the short time since its launch 1.5 years ago.
    The stores I frequent don't accept ApplePay.  Its too hit and miss at this point and I'll just use my card until then. What's the point if I need to bring my creditcards anyway since most stores don't accept it.

Nobody is saying is that you have to leave your wallet at home in order to use/benefit from Apple Pay. But if a store does accept Apple Pay I'm automatically using it as it is much safer and more efficient than using credit cards.
    lostkiwicalijbdragonbobschlobchiabadmonk