Apple makes room for 500 employees in new San Francisco office

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is reportedly preparing to open its first major San Francisco office later this year, in what may be a concession to the competitive recruitment environment in Silicon Valley, a report said on Thursday.

The company's rented space at 235 Second Street is presently under construction, which means workers could be ready to move in by late summer, real estate experts told Reuters. The company will occupy about 76,000 square feet across two floors, roughly enough for 500 people, though more could potentially crowd into the building out of sheer demand.

Apple technically already has offices in San Francisco, mostly through acquisitions of companies like Beats and Topsy. While Topsy's space is only big enough for about 75 people though, other Apple workers have reportedly been stopping by to work from the city instead of having to commute to Cupertino. Indeed, accommodating the existing Apple workforce may be a potential reason for needing the Second Street space.

However, the company may also be facing a tougher time trying to lure in other tech workers in San Francisco, as much of its workforce there must still make long daily commutes -- at least 90 minutes one-way -- which may be unappealing to new hires when other potential employers like Google offer a better chance at staying in the city.

The company is using charter buses to soften the blow, but it was one of the last major Silicon Valley firms to start running them, and that may still be unappealing versus shorter commutes within the San Francisco area.

Another reason for wanting the Second Street office may be that Apple is running out of room in Cupertino, where it's already holding about 70 percent of the city's office space. The company is working on a new and bigger campus there, but it won't be ready until at least January 2017.

A deal for new San Francisco office was first uncovered in July last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    These are not the actions of a failing company. Please take note analysts.
    latifbpbadmonkcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    How long before they write an open letter to the police chief, and mayor? 
  • Reply 3 of 15
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What are you trying to stir up with this? What are you referring to? 
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't think you're trying to stir anything up, but I also understand what you're getting at.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Could be a smart move to buy up office space in Washington to house an army of lawyers and lobbyists to ensure Apple is properly defended in the future.

And now that Eric Schmidt is working for the Pentagon, Apple security will be in greater danger of political meddling than before.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    When it's done, not every Bay Area employee will be able to work at the new campus. The SF building could be a concession to that, as well.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    "...San Francisco office later this year, in what may be a concession to the competitive recruitment environment in Silicon Valley..." I think this is more of a move to gather talent in a specific endeavor than to try to solving the difficulty in recruiting in Silicon Valley. I could see a compact team focused on, let's say, making sure that the Music app stops sucking. I doubt the message is, "Coming to SF is much cheaper then coming to Cupertino," because a studio still costs near a million dollars in either market. This would make sense if the satellite office was in Roseville, California, or Portland.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 8 of 15
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mtbnut said:
     I doubt the message is, "Coming to SF is much cheaper then coming to Cupertino," because a studio still costs near a million dollars in either market. 
    Could be recruiting millennials who like the local SF vibe and have no car. It takes more than 2 hours to commute from SF to Cupertino by public transportation.
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 15
    What do all these people DO?!?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    flaneur said:
    Search Justin Keller. I'd post the link but this new software makes it almost impossible to do so. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 15
    flaneur said:
    Search Justin Keller. I'd post the link but this new software makes it almost impossible to do so. 
    Just paste the URL and it will automatically become a hyperlink.

• Reply 12 of 15
    Soli said:
    Just paste the URL and it will automatically become a hyperlink.

Thanks. Anytime I try to paste a link the cursor moves into the previous post and I can't get it out. I've given up trying to do it anymore. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Soli said:
    Thanks. Anytime I try to paste a link the cursor moves into the previous post and I can't get it out. I've given up trying to do it anymore. 
    Hit return a couple times after you hit Quote & Reply. Note you also have the two fingers on the keyboard or, with the 6S series, 3D Touch on the keyboard to move the mouse cursor around.

The only other option would be to click the '</>' in the desktop version to add edit the HTML text.

The system could definitely could use some refining. I don't do any multi-quote posts anymore because it's now less efficient.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Soli said:
    Hit return a couple times after you hit Quote & Reply. Note you also have the two fingers on the keyboard or, with the 6S series, 3D Touch on the keyboard to move the mouse cursor around.

The only other option would be to click the '</>' in the desktop version to add edit the HTML text.

The system could definitely could use some refining. I don't do any multi-quote posts anymore because it's now less efficient.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    dasanman69 said:
    When that happens (pretty much all the time with this software), click on the code button </> (top right), then type something below the </blockquote>. Afterwards you can click the </> button again and return to the regular editor.