Neato adds Apple Watch control to robotic vacuum in new app update

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2016
Neato Robotics this week issued an app update for its Wi-Fi enabled Botvac Connected vacuum cleaner, allowing users to take control of their autonomous cleaning device from Apple Watch for the first time.

Neato claims its latest app release makes the $699 Botvac the first robot vacuum capable of being remotely controlled by an Apple Watch or Android Wear device.

With the app running on Apple Watch, users can issue start and stop commands to the vacuum, as well as monitor cleanup progress, directly on their wrist. Unlike the full-fledged iOS app, however, the small-screen Watch version does not let users take full manual control over the robot's movements.

Botvac Connect launched last year as Neato's first vacuum to sport an onboard Wi-Fi module for communication with iOS and Android smartphones, offering owners remote setup and one-touch control directly from a dedicated app. Onboard Wi-Fi support means Botvac Connect can receive commands as long as its connected to a known network. The device also features laser navigation, two cleaning modes and an LCD screen with accompanying capacitive buttons for selecting various user settings.

The latest Neato app version is available for free from the iOS App Store.
joebruce313

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Does it have a Summon mode?
    Make mess, stand still, hit the button, watch beeps and walk away.
    Mess be gone.  
    edited March 2016 jbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I hope they make an R2D2 model!
    lostkiwiSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    With Built-in taser for security and house training pets. Can be retrofitted with drinks dispenser for parties.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I keep wondering why companies produce Android versions of software? Don't they realize that Android users are too cheap to buy the products that use it? Android Wear users won't cough up $350 for an Apple Watch but will pay $700 for a vacuum?
    jbdragonlostkiwibadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 11
    In my establishment the lady of the house takes the place of the watch and her husband does the sweeping (to order) with an ordinary vacuum: probably more costly in the long run but what the heck!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    No way...R2D2 is a droid.  It will be Rosie from The Jetsons.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I keep wondering why companies produce Android versions of software? Don't they realize that Android users are too cheap to buy the products that use it? Android Wear users won't cough up $350 for an Apple Watch but will pay $700 for a vacuum?
    Have you ever looked outside your bubble? You really think only people that buy the watch you prefer can afford a vacuum cleaner?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    The day I can point to a mess on the floor and have it scamper over to clean it up, I'm getting one.
    jbdragonmattinoz
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mattinoz said:
    With Built-in taser for security and house training pets. Can be retrofitted with drinks dispenser for parties.
    Not to mention the lightsaber dispenser.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    badmonk said:
    The day I can point to a mess on the floor and have it scamper over to clean it up, I'm getting one.
    That’s why people have kids. 

“You made the mess, you get to clean it up!”
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Ohh...!!
    That sound good. Can we control Ecovacs Deebot 901  with it?