Apple Pay a hit in China with 3 million cards added in 2 days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    JinTech said:
    I used my Apple Watch with ApplePay at Walgreens yesterday and it was so easy and seamless. The cashier was astonished! Her reaction was "wow you can use your Apple Watch with that too?!" and my reaction was "Yup!" with a big smile. Sure beats having to go into my wallet, get my card out, take the receipt, deal with receipt in my pocket or wallet and put my card back. Really does speed things up.
    I keep my contactless card strapped under my wrist with my Casio then toss the receipt on the floor. Handsfree shopping. I used to get some strange looks until Apple normalised it
  • Reply 22 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    igorsky said:

sog35 said:
    The stores I frequent don't accept ApplePay.  Its too hit and miss at this point and I'll just use my card until then. What's the point if I need to bring my creditcards anyway since most stores don't accept it.

Nobody is saying is that you have to leave your wallet at home in order to use/benefit from Apple Pay. But if a store does accept Apple Pay I'm automatically using it as it is much safer and more efficient than using credit cards.
    Agree.  Your credit card information is stored in the secured iPhone which the id thieves can not steal.  On the other hand, using a real physical credit card is more prone to id theft.  
    lostkiwijbdragonchia
  • Reply 23 of 48
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

What's the point if I need to bring my credit cards anyway...
    People keep dreaming that one day they will not need to carry a wallet. Might happen eventually when every Earth citizen is chipped at birth.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    tzeshan said:
    Android smartphones outsell iPhones 4 to 1.  Doesn't Google copied Apple Pay completely so Android Pay works exactly as Apple Pay?  
    Or its a standard that was set up that all NFC payments use. Apple didn't invent NFC payments and how it's used in general. They just bought the company for touchid and implemented the secure enclave.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    I don't know where you live, but I don't know what you expected so soon after the introduction of a new service that requires banks to rejigger their back end to support Apple Pay, and for merchants to suppose NFC. I bet there are plenty of places you make sales that Apple Pay would have worked fine if you had just tried. Not seeing an Apple Pay stick on the retailer's door or an ad on TV doesn't mean it's not supported. Very few companies are "like Walmart" that are actively blocking NFC payments through their system because of Apple Pay.

Apple Pay, or rather devicePay, us the future. Apple Pay has been a remarkable success in the short time since its launch 1.5 years ago.
    The stores I frequent don't accept ApplePay.  Its too hit and miss at this point and I'll just use my card until then. What's the point if I need to bring my creditcards anyway since most stores don't accept it.
    This isn't an either or situation. You're already carrying your iPhone and/or Apple Watch on your person, so why not have it set up. The benefit of the Apple Pay isn't recognized when you don't have to carry a CC, just as the benefit of the CC wasn't had only when you didn't have to carry cash. The security and convenience of Apple Pay makes it a great option when you can use it. You can wait 4+ years for the minimum level of adoption to reach a critical point to where you can likely go throughout your day without having to carry any physical cards on you, but you'll be missing out on all the advantages during the mean time.

Also note that Apple Pay works on the iPad, which has no NFC antennas. I'm hoping we see Apple Pay expanded into more web-based stores so that online payments are better protected. You'll still be able to use your physical card numbers in this virtual environment, but I implore you to use Apple Pay when you can to help push the technology forward just a little bit faster.

cali
  • Reply 26 of 48
    igorsky said:
    sog35 said:
    So much success in China because many merchants accept digital payments.

Unlike in the US where companies like WalMart want to mine customer data and don't allow Apple Pay. 

Totally agree, and it's disgusting.  I personally will never, ever use a digital payment system other than Apple Pay because it's a system designed to benefit the consumer.
    If the system still uses the bank-controlled setup where they issue a representational card number for each device, then one should use it because it inherently offers better security than not using it at all.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 27 of 48
    tzeshan said:
    Android smartphones outsell iPhones 4 to 1.  Doesn't Google copied Apple Pay completely so Android Pay works exactly as Apple Pay?  
    Or its a standard that was set up that all NFC payments use. Apple didn't invent NFC payments and how it's used in general. They just bought the company for touchid and implemented the secure enclave.
    1) Touch ID isn't required for using Apple Pay. You can test this with an Apple Watch which only requires a double-tap of the Contracts button to bring up your cards, assuming the device is on your wrist and you've inputted the device PIN. I use this quite often without even looking at the watch face as it's under the cuff of a long sleeve shirt. Tap-tap, hold near reader, pay for lunch (as the default card is the one that gives me the most points for restaurants).

2) Apple innovated considerably to make Apple Pay seamless and convenience. Yes, Touch ID, does add to that on the iPhone and iPad, but the real beauty of the system is not trying to control the transaction system, which is why all previous attempts by tech companies on "smart"-devices have failed, and why they are all now following Apple's lead.
    edited March 2016 calijbdragonbobschlob
  • Reply 28 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Ha! I knew it'd be a hit with a population over a billion-but DOOMED!! Can't wait til this number reaches 100 million.

tzeshan said:

Goog can NEVER copy something from Apple exactly. It will ALWAYS be inferior because their business feeds on spying on people and collecting user data.It will always be less secure and your data will always be stored somewhere else in the world.

fallenjt said:
    Soli said:
    China keeps showing up the rest of the world. It's too bad no one in China can afford Apple's products¡
    You ain't know shit about Chinese or Asian. They can spend 4-5 month salary to buy a damn phone. Talking about 1.3 billion population huh.
    Tell all the dumb ass analysts/iHaters that. That's who Soli is mocking.

Edit: Soli cleared this up in an earlier post.
    edited March 2016 Soli
  • Reply 29 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Holy shit, that's a shitload of cards for 2 days.
    jbdragonbobschlob
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Soli said:

1) Touch ID isn't required for using Apple Pay. You can test this with an Apple Watch which only requires a double-tap of the Contracts button to bring up your cards, assuming the device is on your wrist and you've inputted the device PIN. 
    I've noticed lately that my Apple Watch somehow pairs up with my iPhone all by itself without using the passcode. I don't enter the passcode when I strap it on in the morning but some time during the day I notice it is paired and no passcode was ever entered. Not sure how this happens or what triggers it but it happens everyday. Right now it has a blue dot but later it will go away all by itself.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    volcan said:
    Soli said:

1) Touch ID isn't required for using Apple Pay. You can test this with an Apple Watch which only requires a double-tap of the Contracts button to bring up your cards, assuming the device is on your wrist and you've inputted the device PIN. 
    I've noticed lately that my Apple Watch somehow pairs up with my iPhone all by itself without using the passcode. I don't enter the passcode when I strap it on in the morning but some time during the day I notice it is paired and no passcode was ever entered. Not sure how this happens or what triggers it but it happens everyday. Right now it has a blue dot but later it will go away all by itself.
    When you put it on in the morning you don't have to input a PIN to get access to your Watch features?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Soli said:

When you put it on in the morning you don't have to input a PIN to get access to your Watch features?
    The only feature I need first thing in the morning is the clock which works without the passcode. I don't generally initiate any actions on my watch. I receive notifications, but I mostly use my iPhone because it has a larger screen. But everyday the watch eventually unlocks itself somehow.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 33 of 48
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    Maybe the only way to force merchants into accepting Apple Pay would be to get the credit card companies to restrict use of their cards to only chip readers and NFC, no more magnetic strip or manual entry of card numbers. Without credit card use many stores would see a significant drop in business. Is this legal? Maybe not but mining customer data probably isn't either. 
    I'm not sure how the rules are being enforced, but there are plenty of merchants I use that now require the chip reader to be used if the card has a chip. It's my understanding that if they allow the magnetic strip (which is easily spoofed, unlike the chip), the merchant will then be responsible for any fraud with that purchase, not the customer's bank.

There are a heck of a lot of merchants taking that responsibility in my area then. It's hard to NOT find a chip reader these days, but almost all of them still insist we swipe the card. Publix (grocery store chain), Bed Bath & Beyond, CVS, Macy's, Pet Supermarket....all had me swipe this past weekend.  Only Home Depot and my local mom & pop car wash actually used the chip reader. (Yeah, I did go on a bit of a shopping binge this weekend :#  )
  • Reply 34 of 48
    jbdragon said:

My Credit cards still don't have a chip in them! This is how how slow the banks are dragging their feet. Almost like they don't card about all the fraud going on.
    What banks are you using? Chase, Bank of America, Capital One and Discover all sent me new chipped cards in the last few months even though my cards weren't expiring.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Soli said:
    I'm not sure how the rules are being enforced, but there are plenty of merchants I use that now require the chip reader to be used if the card has a chip. It's my understanding that if they allow the magnetic strip (which is easily spoofed, unlike the chip), the merchant will then be responsible for any fraud with that purchase, not the customer's bank.

There are a heck of a lot of merchants taking that responsibility in my area then. It's hard to NOT find a chip reader these days, but almost all of them still insist we swipe the card. Publix (grocery store chain), Bed Bath & Beyond, CVS, Macy's, Pet Supermarket....all had me swipe this past weekend.  Only Home Depot and my local mom & pop car wash actually used the chip reader. (Yeah, I did go on a bit of a shopping binge this weekend :#  )
    I'm in CA, not in the South East, but CVS out here require you to use EVM if your card is chipped.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    volcan said:
    Soli said:

The only feature I need first thing in the morning is the clock which works without the passcode. I don't generally initiate any actions on my watch. I receive notifications, but I mostly use my iPhone because it has a larger screen. But everyday the watch eventually unlocks itself somehow.
    I'm in no way saying you're incorrect, but I am not seeing your Watch will automatically authenticate your PIN throughout the day or give you notifications on the display before it's been authenticated. If you take it off your wrist, does it not then show the PIN input screen? 
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Soli said:

I'm in no way saying you're incorrect, but I am not seeing your Watch will automatically authenticate your PIN throughout the day or give you notifications on the display before it's been authenticated. If you take it off your wrist, does it not then show the PIN input screen? 
    It behaves as expected in the morning when I put it on but some time during the day it just unlocks by itself. For example yesterday it remained locked until late afternoon when I noticed it was unlocked. I have purposefully not entered the pin code for a couple weeks now to try to determine if there is a particular event that triggers the unexpected unlock. I still don't know why it does it, but it happens every single day. 

EDIT: it just unlocked right now, all by itself.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 38 of 48
    volcan said:
    Soli said:

It behaves as expected in the morning when I put it on but some time during the day it just unlocks by itself. For example yesterday it remained locked until late afternoon when I noticed it was unlocked. I have purposefully not entered the pin code for a couple weeks now to try to determine if there is a particular event that triggers the unexpected unlock. I still don't know why it does it, but it happens every single day. 
    Huh, it looks like this is a feature with the paired Watch and you unlocking your iPhone. Makes sense. I guess I save myself a few seconds of inputting a PIN. Thanks!

• https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7095191
    volcan
  • Reply 39 of 48
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Whenever it comes to Canada, with a bank issued credit card of course, the adoption rate should be just as spectacular, proportionally to our much smaller population obviously. We've has chip and pin for years, but we're hung up and just waiting for our big bank cartel to get off their greedy big fat asses.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    taosbobtaosbob Posts: 21member
    Not sure what planet Apple Insider is living on, but reports by UnionPay on the day after Apple Pay's release in China noted that 38 million cards had been linked on the first day, 10 million in the first hour.  I was in Beijing at the time and posted a comment to AI noting this, unread it seems.  You owe it to your readers to redo this article.  Just giving the unimpressive results of one bank provides a vastly incorrect understanding of the scale of Apple Pay acceptance in China.

"According to local reports, by 5 p.m., 38 million bank cards had been linked to Apple Pay. The Beijing Morning News said on its Weibo account that within an hour of the service going live at 5 a.m., 10 million people had already linked their bank cards to their accounts."

http://mashable.com/2016/02/19/apple-pay-china/#kdNYSJ5gT8qH