UN high commissioner on human rights throws weight behind Apple in San Bernardino case

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Friday picked up more high-profile support in its court battle with the FBI over unlocking the iPhone of San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook, namely in the form of Zeid Ra'ad Al-Hussein, the United Nations' high commissioner for human rights.

"In order to address a security-related issue related to encryption in one case, the authorities risk unlocking a Pandora's Box that could have extremely damaging implications for the human rights of many millions of people, including their physical and financial security," said Al-Hussein in an official statement.

The commissioner suggested that there were other ways of pursuing the investigation without subverting iPhone security, and worried that criminals or malicious governments could potentially exploit any vulnerabilities in the platform, especially if a legal precedent is set.

"It is potentially a gift to authoritarian regimes, as well as to criminal hackers," he said. "There have already been a number of concerted efforts by authorities in other States to force IT and communications companies such as Google and Blackberry to expose their customers to mass surveillance."

Al-Hussein drew special attention to the fact that encryption is essential for human rights activists, journalists, whisteblowers, and political dissidents, and that lives could be threatened not just on an individual level but on the larger scale of national or international security, despite organizations like the FBI saying bypassing encryption is needed to prevent terrorism.

On Thursday Apple received a flood of legal support from corporations, security experts, and others. One backer was the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur for freedom of expression issues, David Kaye.

Though the U.S. government has supporters on its own side as well, statements, letters, and amicus briefs should help Apple as it prepares for a March 22 court hearing, when the order for Apple to bypass the passcode limit on Farook's phone will be subject to review.
brakken

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Unfortunately, these days,  his name will cause many in this country to dismiss anything he say without thought.
    edited March 2016 baconstangmagman1979crowley
  • Reply 2 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Believe it or not, the UN has no jurisdiction over the US. His opinion is noted.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Believe it or not, the UN has no jurisdiction over the US. His opinion is noted.
    Thankfully. If I had my way we'd kick them out of the US entirely. 
    tallest skildinasore
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Unfortunately, these days,  his name will cause many in this country to dismiss anything he say without thought.
    I'm 100% behind Apple, but I do think it's absolutely ridiculous that SAUDI ARABIA is representing the human rights council. You're right, many do dismiss him. Not because of his skin or name, but because of his country and their historical *and current* actions directly opposed to human rights....
    dinasorelatifbpjony0
  • Reply 5 of 31
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    You do understand how these statements and amicus briefs work, right?
    fracbaconstangduervojsnowcrowleybbh
  • Reply 6 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Cacophony said:
    I'm 100% behind Apple, but I do think it's absolutely ridiculous that SAUDI ARABIA is representing the human rights council. You're right, many do dismiss him. Not because of his skin or name, but because of his country and their historical *and current* actions directly opposed to human rights....
    Care to explain your reasoning there, I must be missing something?  To the best of my knowledge is a very, highly qualified Jordanian.  Read this and you may be quite impressed with him. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Zeid_bin_Ra'ad
    edited March 2016 anantksundaramfracchiabaconstangmagman1979duervocrowleyurahara
  • Reply 7 of 31
    fracfrac Posts: 480member

The UN's Ten Principles.

Human Rights

Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and

Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses. 

Labour

Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;

Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;

Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour; and

Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation. 

Environment

Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;

Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and

Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies. 

Anti-Corruption

Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.

Where exactly is there any threat to US interests?

How would US isolationism, help in any of these principles? or promote American interests in the wider world?

manfred zornbaconstangmagman1979MacProduervobrakkenjsnowcrowleyurahara
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Cacophony said:
    So first you get his nationality wrong, assume that all apples are bad because some are, then, irony free - using your own words, manage to swallow your own hoof.
    brakkenjsnowcrowleybbh
  • Reply 9 of 31
    frac said:

So first you get his nationality wrong, assume that all apples are bad because some are, then, irony free - using your own words, manage to swallow your own hoof.
    He's a Trump voter.
    jfc1138baconstangmagman1979brakkenjsnowurahara
  • Reply 10 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    frac said:

You’ll notice that your strawman is irrelevant.
    How would US isolationism, help in any of these principles? or promote American interests in the wider world?
    Because fuck the UN. It has no legal jurisdiction anywhere. It’s a paper fruit fly. Why should we care about restricting American rights, and how would being subservient to someone else’s set of rights promote our own?

Read about the history of the formation of the UN and you’ll see why it never should have existed.
    HughJanus
  • Reply 11 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    His mention of "financial security," is where my concern is centered, contrary to the "if you have nothing to hide from the police" group I'd suggest we ALL have something to hide, from thieves wanting to steal our brokerage information (aka MONEY), our bank information (aka MONEY), our credit card information etc.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Believe it or not the U.S government has no jurisdiction over Apple regarding " Free Speech". Truth hurts huh??!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    GTRownsU said:
    Believe it or not the U.S government has no jurisdiction over Apple regarding " Free Speech". Truth hurts huh??!
    I’m pretty sure that Spam doesn’t side with the FBI here.

Are you the old GTR or an unrelated account?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    frac said:

You’ll notice that your strawman is irrelevant.
    Because fuck the UN. It has no legal jurisdiction anywhere. It’s a paper fruit fly. Why should we care about restricting American rights, and how would being subservient to someone else’s set of rights promote our own?

Read about the history of the formation of the UN and you’ll see why it never should have existed.
    And yet you seem threatened by said paper fruit fly despite that they are 'principles' for guidance with no legal obligation other than pre-arranged agreements for action between nations. 
  • Reply 15 of 31
    frat said: And yet you seem threatened by said paper fruit fly despite that they are 'principles' for guidance with no legal obligation other than pre-arranged agreements for action between nations. 
    No legal obligation ≠ no forced compliance therewith.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 16 of 31
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    frac said:

He's a Trump voter.
    Not the best thing. But much better than a Hilary voter. 
  • Reply 17 of 31
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    The US is only one of many countries. I really wish it would drop the selfish self-importance and learn about cooperation.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    brakken said:
    The US is only one of many countries. I really wish it would drop the selfish self-importance and learn about cooperation.
    Explain why we should allow our sovereignty to be revoked.
    HughJanus
  • Reply 19 of 31
    brakken said:
    Explain why we should allow our sovereignty to be revoked.
    You'll notice your straw man is irrelevant.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    frac said:
    You'll notice your straw man is irrelevant.
    Not when discussing the UN. And certainly not in response to his statements.
    HughJanus