Apple Pay gains 27 more US card issuers including PNC's Global Investment Servicing

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Friday added another 27 names to the list of U.S. card issuers supporting Apple Pay, most notably expanding support for PNC cards to the bank's Global Investment Servicing division.

Such an addition is relatively rare, as over a year out from the introduction of Apple Pay, most national or multinational banks in the U.S. are already fully signed on. Today's other new entries are mostly regional banks and credit unions, servicing small regions of the U.S. or individual cities.

Apple's expansion plans in the U.S. are now focused on picking up more merchant partners. American Apparel should gain support later this year, along with a number of other businesses including Crate & Barrel, Chick-fil-A, Cinnabon, Chili's, Domino's, JCPenney, KFC, and Starbucks.

The full list of new banks includes:

• 1st Community Federal Credit Union
  • Abacus Federal Savings Bank
  • Bank of England
  • BankFirst Financial Services
  • Bull's Eye Credit Union
  • Colfax Banking Company
  • Columbia Bank Florida
  • First Bank
  • First Federal Bank of Louisiana
  • First National Bank of Durango
  • First Southern National
  • Franklin First Federal Credit Union
  • Green Country Federal Credit Union
  • Gulf States Credit Union
  • Guthrie County State Bank
  • Henrico Federal Credit Union
  • Lone Star National Bank
  • Mill City Credit Union
  • Modern Woodmen Bank
  • Pasadena Federal Credit Union
  • PNC Bank, Global Investment Servicing
  • Raleigh County Federal Credit Union
  • Sage Capital Bank
  • St. Landry Bank and Trust Co.
  • TCM Bank
  • West Milton State Bank

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    C A N A D A !

Canadian banks are dragging their feet. You would think by now they would have figured out how to charge crazy fees for it. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    techno said:
    C A N A D A !

Canadian banks are dragging their feet. You would think by now they would have figured out how to charge crazy fees for it. 
    No shit. Insane how we're getting close to 2 yrs since the launch of Apple Pay, and non-existent in Canada, even though we have the perfect infrastructure for it. Disgusting.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I went in my credit union the other day and asked them if they had near term plans to support Apple Pay. No one knew what it was.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    JackCJackC Posts: 1member
    It would be nice if apple could get stores to sign on so we could use it.

• Reply 5 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    So great that all this new batch of Apple Pay users get to find out how few retailers actually accept Apple Pay.  /s
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Still no Santander Bank.......absolutely pathetic
  • Reply 7 of 12
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    JackC said:
    It would be nice if apple could get stores to sign on so we could use it.

Store don't need to sign on to anything, they just have to enable NFC payments, like well all the rest of the world.
    Most new terminals they had to buy to move to Chip cards have it baked in

But the data they get from payment is unbeareable to many of larger ones and that's what is slowing the whole thing in the US.

• Reply 8 of 12
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    ApplePay works all over Europe because there are plenty of NFC terminals, just the stores don't know that ApplePay exist (nor do European card issuers support it yet widely).
    So I get stares when I tell them I want to pay by credit card and then pull the phone and pay before they realize what I did. Pretty funny :)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    I have a Sony branded CapitalOne card and it still doesn't support Apple Pay. Totally sucks.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    zmaxmanzmaxman Posts: 15member
    Why can't we have Apple Pay in Canada - one of the best banking systems in the world and no Apple Pay - makes us look like a technological neanderthal. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mrr said:
    I have a Sony branded CapitalOne card and it still doesn't support Apple Pay. Totally sucks.
    None of CaptialOne’s branded cards are supported and I doubt they ever will be. I have a CaptialOne GM Mastercard that is not supported so I use it less and less. My Chase Visa is the card I use the most with Apple Pay.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Interestingly enough my brokerage firm's VISA debit card for months now let's me almost sign up and fails in the last step; it's run by PNC, and my broker says they are in the final stages of making ApplePay happen, but despite PNC supposedly now officially supporting ApplePay, still no go.