Samsung to reportedly shut down Milk Music, mulls Tidal deal [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Korean tech giant Samsung is rumored to be on the cusp of shutting down Milk Music two years after introducing the streaming service, leaving some to speculate on a potential acquisition or partnership with Jay Z brand Tidal.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Variety on Friday reported Samsung is close to announcing a major development related to its streaming music efforts. While an exact timeline remains unknown, the publication said the company could reveal a partnership or purchase of a "major streaming provider," likely signaling an end for Milk Music.

Samsung is apparently unsatisfied with Milk Music-- and the erstwhile Milk Video -- after spending significant capital on building out, marketing and maintaining the streaming service. Executives are looking to "clean house," citing poor returns and low paying subscriber numbers, the report said.

"A lot of people in the organization have left or are shifting positions," a source told Variety. "There are lots of empty desks and cubes there."

Milk Music launched in 2014 as the first offering in a multi-pronged attack on the multimedia streaming market. Samsung later debuted Milk Video, but a tepid response from subscribers forced the company to scale back plans that called for an expansion into sports and other categories, according to the report.

Samsung is reportedly not planning to exit the streaming industry altogether, however, as the company is rumored to be in talks with Tidal over a potential partnership. Tidal owner Jay Z visited Samsung's campus last October and is said to have rekindled discussions in recent weeks. An acquisition is not out of the question, but the report notes Tidal could be asking for more than Samsung is willing to pay.

Apple recently launched its own streaming music service in Apple Music, a product backed by iTunes' vast song library and human-curated playlists. In February, the iPhone maker said Apple Music reached 11 million paying subscribers.

Update: A Samsung representative, speaking with AppleInsider, has gone on record as saying rumors of a Tidal acquisition are false.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wait. Wasn’t Apple Music the one that was supposed to fail? Right here on AI we heard detailed reasons from resident techies and music experts about why Apple Music sucks, iTunes sucks, Apple sucks in general. Apple Music is so bad it has no chance of succeeding. We were regaled with stories of lost libraries, sucky search, ridiculous price, no free tier, the 25,000 track limit, general Apple suckyness and so forth. Or was all that just the usual tripe and bullshit from the malcontent hater crowd who is never satisfied with anything Apple does? Or is it that Android users really don’t spend much money on anything, especially Samsung’s Milk Music?
    lollivermac_doglinkmanchiacornchipmagman1979ericthehalfbeelostkiwilatifbpJanNL
  • Reply 2 of 39
    'Milk' music? The name is so wrong at so many different levels. 

I am actually impressed that it lasted this long. 
    edited March 2016 jbdragoncornchiplatifbpbadmonknetmagekiltedgreen
  • Reply 3 of 39
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Milk Music - that's a thing? Who knew.
    jfc1138lolliverdiplicationchiacornchiplostkiwibadmonkmonstrosity
  • Reply 4 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    Wait. Wasn’t Apple Music the one that was supposed to fail? Right here on AI we heard detailed reasons from resident techies and music experts about why Apple Music sucks, iTunes sucks, Apple sucks in general. Apple Music is so bad it has no chance of succeeding. We were regaled with stories of lost libraries, sucky search, ridiculous price, no free tier, the 25,000 track limit, general Apple suckyness and so forth. Or was all that just the usual tripe and bullshit from the malcontent hater crowd who is never satisfied with anything Apple does? Or is it that Android users really don’t spend much money on anything, especially Samsung’s Milk Music?
    Many of the problems you mention in relation to AppleMusic were being listed by long-term AI members, pro-Apple enthusiasts/blogs. Many whose opinions I tend to take seriously. Speaking for myself, I have not signed on to AM, but more because I am not that into streaming (I know what I like, prefer to own, have a large collection) and as a result, I was not willing to take the risk of any disruption to my music. 
    levicornchipcali
  • Reply 5 of 39
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    I guess they finally checked the date on the Milk carton.
    mwhitelollivercornchiplostkiwilatifbpcalinetmagetomhqnolamacguybestkeptsecret
  • Reply 6 of 39
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Samsung would be smart to purchase Tidal. Especially if they get exclusivity on artists, which I'm sure they'd want. 
  • Reply 7 of 39
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    ... And Kanye West's wish of a Samsung-sized Sugar Daddy are squashed just like that.

Poor Kanye ;_;
    cornchiplostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 39
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    koop said:
    Samsung would be smart to purchase Tidal. Especially if they get exclusivity on artists, which I'm sure they'd want. 
    The problem is Rihanna and Kayne West will run away as soon as their pal J.Z. left the building.

'Milk' music? The name is so wrong at so many different levels. 

I am actually impressed that it lasted this long. 
    Indeed. How they can compete with Spotify or Play Music. They can't. Samsung brand is not that strong to begins with. It's not Apple even though it'd or their supporters would like to think it is.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 9 of 39
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,710member
    LOL

Called it. 

This is why Kanye West disrespected Apple fans by making his new music? inaccessible to Apple. 

There the had to be a Samsung backing to it. Otherwise he is throwing tons of money away. 

Samsung and JayZ have s history of coming together to scam people. 

Man,  it's crazy how predictable and easy to read these kinds of things are nowadays. 

cornchipcali
  • Reply 10 of 39
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I wouldn't pay $1.05 for Tidal. If they buy Tidal, then Samsung might as well buy the rights to Ishtar while they're at it.
    cornchipthinkman@chartermi.net
  • Reply 11 of 39
    TomasTomas Posts: 1member
    This whole anti-apple thing reminds me of what Billy Jean King said during a tournament. She was playing a great, memorable game and the crowd was trying to cheer the opponent and hardly give her any applause. Towards the end to the match she went to an announcers microphone and yelled at the fans. "What's a matter people? Is your self image so low that you have to identify with the underdog? So there you have it - our critics are weak little dolts embarrassed by Apples success and there lack of the same. Now you GO AAPL!
    latifbpcali
  • Reply 12 of 39
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I am so confused. I am on this site every day and I have seriously never heard of Milk Music before. Samsung had their own streaming music service? MILK Music???

edited March 2016 cornchippscooter63lostkiwibadmonkicoco3
  • Reply 13 of 39
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    The biggest problem is Android users want to use Google services but Samsung's!!!. They're trying to something to make money after the sale, but it's just not going to work.  I know milk would fail back then when it launched, and Tidel is not the solution. It's failing also and buying it still isn't going to change the fact that they don't control Android, Google does and people will continue to use Google's services.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Pretty poor service name if one is lactose intolerant.
    magman1979lostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 39
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Samsung and Tidal, it will be like two drowning people holding on to each other. Quite a clever logo though.
    edited March 2016 latifbpAnicali
  • Reply 16 of 39
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Genuinely never heard of Milk Music. Doesn't sound like Samsung owners have either.
    latifbpcornchipcali
  • Reply 17 of 39
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    The biggest losers get together and have a loser party losing all remaining profits on loser brands with losers.

What a waste of time and effort. Can't we send the lot of them to the Central African Republic to help build schools?
    cornchipcalipalomine
  • Reply 18 of 39
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    koop said:
    Samsung would be extremely dumb to do that.  Their best strategy would be to get out of the streaming business altogether, sell their related assets and maybe form a relationship with Amazon.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    I am so confused. I am on this site every day and I have seriously never heard of Milk Music before. Samsung had their own streaming music service? MILK Music???

I'm with you on this one. Maybe I did read it though, but my mind decided it was not worth even creating a cache file.

And look at that advert !!! the coloured circles are soo Apple 'inspired'.. Have to laugh at the music note made into an M though. someone probably got paid $50000 for coming up with that !!!
    cornchipcalimelodyof1974
  • Reply 20 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Also; what's the latest on all the mega millions Tizen is pulling in with their related services? 
    calipscooter63