Video: new bird's eye view of Apple Campus 2 Spaceship, March 2016

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Speaking to shareholders at the company's Annual Meeting on Friday, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook joked that he kept himself up to date on the progress of his Campus 2 "Spaceship" project by watching drone videos posted on the Internet. For Cook and everyone else that's interested, here's the latest progress update on Apple's new innovation center.

Apple Campus 2 Spaceship Ring

Back in January, a drone video showed massive glass panels being installed, the largest on earth. In October, the entire ring was just beginning to take shape.

Today, most of the glass has been installed and the entire Spaceship ring structure has topped out, and the roof top's HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) equipment is being covered with plates (appearing blue in the video) that will hold vast solar photovoltaic panel structures that will likely make the project the largest corporate solar structure in the U.S.

The distinctive Campus 2 project is so large it can be easily spotted from aircraft, as shown in our March update video (above). Also clearly visible is the project's grand cafeteria area with a dramatically high ceiling, the first segment of the structure to begin rising back in March of 2015, just one year ago.

Also depicted are the white fin-like sun shields that will ring the building at each floor level. The structures also function as part of the building's fresh air ventilation system, which will enable it to run without heating or air conditioning throughout most of the year, taking advantage of the very comfortably mild weather that blesses Cupertino, California.

Granted final approval just two years and four months ago, Apple's Campus 2 project is rapidly moving toward its initial occupancy goal beginning in January 2017, slightly later than originally expected.

Cook also noted to shareholders on Friday that project's 1000 seat theater might open in time to host next year's Annual Meeting, if everything goes according to plans.

Apple's cofounder Steve Jobs unveiled the huge project in 2011, noting that the central 2.8-million-square-foot "Spaceship" structure would house at least 12,000 employees, surrounded by bucolic landscaping including orchards of fruit trees and other greenery, featuring open space and walking paths to reclaim most of the 150-acre plot previously covered by asphalt parking lots.

Next to the center of Campus 2, Apple's parallel Phase 2 project is also well underway, adding additional office space, workshops, research and development labs and incorporating a small data center powered by renewable energy.

See previous coverage on AppleInsider of Apple Campus 2 and the current Infinite Loop headquarters, or our other articles on drones. Viewers interested in the DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ drone can read more about the device here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Or as US government officials refer to it from surveillance satellites and drones - the Bullseye Campus.
    Solicornchipjony0
  • Reply 2 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    As someone who takes in interesting in architecture I'm highly looking forward to the completion of this project. I imagine it'll be a highly influential architectural achievement.
    jbdragonmjtomlincornchipaaronj
  • Reply 3 of 20
    That is soo.. The ELO Starship from Time.. the 70's are back
    welshdogobiwanbill
  • Reply 4 of 20
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    They need a small train or something that loops around the building that people can hop on and off of. Can you imagine being on one side, and having to walk all around to the other side then back again, or having to cut though the middle. The place looks huge.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    ireland said:
    As someone who takes in interesting in architecture I'm highly looking forward to the completion of this project. I imagine it'll be a highly influential architectural achievement.

I would love to see a "Making of" video. That takes us from the beginning to the completion. Would be extremely fascinating.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jbdragon said:
    They need a small train or something that loops around the building that people can hop on and off of. Can you imagine being on one side, and having to walk all around to the other side then back again, or having to cut though the middle. The place looks huge.
    Yes a narrow gage steam powered train would be really cool.     Of course being Apple they would ignore histroy and install a modern robotic rail based system powered by laptop batteries.  Either way I do think that even Apple has underestimated how much of a problem navigating the reservation will be.  I understand there will be bicycles available to help with this issue.  I like bicycles but they aren't always the ideal solution.   I do wish that they would get rid of the polluting busses though.  
  • Reply 7 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mjtomlin said:
    ireland said:

I would love to see a "Making of" video. That takes us from the beginning to the completion. Would be extremely fascinating.
    I am sure Apple is busy making that video. They'll be proud to show off the new facility for two obvious reasons - It is awesome and they are super proud of it, and it will bring them unbelievable amounts of editorial advertising (the best and cheapest marketing available)
  • Reply 8 of 20
    The music with the March 2016 video of the Apple campus is terrible.  Please return to the music used with the initial videos of the campus.  It was classy, fun, unique and music, not goofy sounds.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    unclehanz said:
    The music with the March 2016 video of the Apple campus is terrible.  Please return to the music used with the initial videos of the campus.  It was classy, fun, unique and music, not goofy sounds.
    variety is the spice of life. it didn't bother me. in fact, i found it enhanced the dramatic impact of the construction and progress.
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 20
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jbdragon said:
    It's a 5 minute walk across, a very nicely landscaped space... And it's California, not much of burden...
    Most people who work on a project will be in proximity, so this won't be an issue.
    A lot of the people in this building used to be in different buildings far away, so a short walk is a big improvement.
    edited March 2016 Solipatchythepirateaaronj
  • Reply 11 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    foggyhill said:
    jbdragon said:
    It's a 5 minute walk across, a very nicely landscaped space... And it's California, not much of burden...
    Most people who work on a project will be in proximity, so this won't be an issue.
    A lot of the people in this building used to be in different buildings far away, so a short walk is a big improvement.
    ^^^ Realism! Don't see much of that around here lately.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

ireland said:
    I agree, and I hope you're right about the last point. 
  • Reply 13 of 20
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    unclehanz said:
    This video was made by AI, not the original guy - Duncan Sinfield. (Maybe this video earned AI a tax write-off on their drone ;) .)

Anyway, the real March video is on youtube (also showed up on MacRumors). It's actually the best video so far, more interesting things to see, and all captioned. Very nice.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 14 of 20
    All this talk about traversing this enormous space! Apple is a tech company that will likely make face to face interactions less necessary, still, what could be a more healthy environment than one that ENTITLES an associate to walk instead of sitting on their keisters. Healthy body, healthy mind, and visa versa.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    wizard69 said:
    jbdragon said:
    Yes a narrow gage steam powered train would be really cool.     Of course being Apple they would ignore histroy and install a modern robotic rail based system powered by laptop batteries.  Either way I do think that even Apple has underestimated how much of a problem navigating the reservation will be.  I understand there will be bicycles available to help with this issue.  I like bicycles but they aren't always the ideal solution.   I do wish that they would get rid of the polluting busses though.  
    Steam powered? What heats the steam? Perhaps CNG or LNG or even Redeem from waste sites. Much cleaner than any other fossil, and much more power than battery. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Those huge blue panels look a little like SIPs - Structural Insulated Panels. Although of course, built in Apple's own special way.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Damn this thing is going to be freakin' cool when completed.  I'm so excited! :)

Also, it's really stunning to me, as I'm not nor have I ever been involved in construction of any kind (Legos don't count, right?), how quickly something this huge and complex is being completely.  It kind of blows my mind!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jwillis84 said:
    That is soo.. The ELO Starship from Time.. the 70's are back
    You mean "Out of the Blue"

Growing up, ELO was my favorite band. I had almost all the vinyl!!

"Mr. Blue Sky" !!
    "Wild West Hero" !!!

Thanks for the reminder! :-)
  • Reply 19 of 20
    arnbararnbar Posts: 1member
    I live in Tokyo and teach English at Apple HQ here. Californians drive everywhere. People in Tokyo WALK. It's good for you.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    arnbar said:
    I live in Tokyo and teach English at Apple HQ here. Californians drive everywhere. People in Tokyo WALK. It's good for you.
    Californians have to be able to swiftly exfiltrate from gangs. The Yakuza, at least, still has a little bit of class.