Apple CEO Tim Cook attends secret meeting with tech and government elite to plot end to Trump presi

Comments

• Reply 81 of 180
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    mr o said:
    This is very unfortunate. It proves Bernie's and Trump's point that America is run by the establishment/corporations: There's no true Democracy in America if a handful of corporations can manipulate the outcome.

Having said that, Trump scares me a lot as well. It's not funny anymore.

>:x
    What Bernie is talking about is both true and not true at the same time, though.  Yes, the monied class, whether corporations or individuals, have a disproportionate amount of influence in the political system.  That is not in dispute by anyone but those living in complete denial.  However, that disproportionate amount of influence is very much due to the public's dissociation from the political system.  So of course those with the ability to take advantage of the public's lack of both knowledge and engagement are going to do so.  It's like in sports: you attack the weak link.  In this case, that weak link is the public itself.

Now, if people would, for example, spend time learning about the actual issues, studying the candidates thoroughly, or even gain a basic understanding of how the government works in this country, they would be equipped with some of the tools needed.  They would then obviously have to get off their ample rear ends and go vote.  But none of those things are going to happen, it seems.  Actually, a series of strong arguments can be supported that it's all going in the opposite direction, and quickly.  

If you look at turnout numbers for eligible voters over the past decades, the last time that it reached 60% -- so not even 2 out of 3 -- was 1968, and that was 60.7%.  Consider that for a moment: even at the height of the Vietnam war and everything else that was going on in the United States, barely 60% of eligible voters even bothered to vote!

A poll done in 2014 showed that the number of people who were able to name the three branches of government was essentially equal to the number who couldn't name a single one: 36% to 35%.  So, just over 1 in 3 American citizens can name all three branches of the government, while just over 1 in 3 can't even name one.

When you start to think about these and other problems, is it any surprise that Wall Street, corporate interests, and other monied class forces would end up with the vast majority of the influence?  The citizenry is neither engaged enough, knowledgeable enough, nor interested in voting enough to exert the influence they easily could.  But they don't bother to better themselves, raise up their level of knowledge, or to even bother to vote.

I hate to play "Blame the Victim" card here.  But in this case the people need to take a good amount of the blame for how things have developed.  It is completely within the power of the citizenry to turn things around.  If they don't like the massive amounts of money in elections that is allowed by the Citizens United decision, for example, then vote against anyone who came out in support of SCOTUS' decision.  Or whatever the issue is.  

But they need to first know what these issues are, and most people can't be bothered.  They'd rather watch "Crisley Knows Best" or "The Voice" or "Toddlers and Tiaras" (assuming that's even still on).  So while I agree with Bernie and others are saying, and there's no disputing the facts, there's also no disputing that much of the blame needs to burdened by the citizens of the United States of America.  Democracy requires engagement.
    palomineai46dysamoria
  • Reply 82 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    pigybank said:
    No offense, and I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but if that is who the American people choose, then that is who they choose. This is especially frightening if people within the government themselves are looking to interfere in the electoral process. Why don't Tim and these big tech companies plot to help a candidate they support win instead?
    I think it says a lot about the American people, but more about your news media, the lack of a job they are doing and how dangerous they have made the environment coming up to an election.
    palominedysamoriatallest skil
  • Reply 83 of 180
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    frank777 said:
    It's precisely stuff like this that feeds the Trump phenomenon in the first place.
    You mean conspiracy idiocy? I guess so. This article's title and even tone is completely outrageous.

If Trump is the GOP nominee, they need to prepare their own response since his moron pronouncement is a direct treat to their business (and the US's business in general).

Not preparing would be stupid; Trump actually also benefits from people doing nothing in response to his absurd words (a bit like the elite in Germany were complacent).

In fact, being complacent and not mounting a direct assault on him is the main reason he's been able to flourish; I think it's clear this has ended
    and when he's got serious attacks, he's got no response, only more demagoguery/

Most of the tech industry is democrat leaning, so that they go against it is no surprise.

The people who are ready to support him, would support him anyway; that's been clear when you considering the shit he's dribble out that has made no difference to this crowd. This will not comfort these people on Trump's side; they're already all in.

dysamoria
  • Reply 84 of 180
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Urei1620 said:
    There are no good choices here. If it is not Trump, then it will be Hillary. If not Hillary, then it will be Trump. Blah.
    If Superdelegates were not a thing Sanders would be borderline equal to Hill at this point and with that comes a certain confidence in the sound bites the American public would be hearing.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 85 of 180
    mr o said:
    This is very unfortunate. It proves Bernie's and Trump's point that America is run by the establishment/corporations: There's no true Democracy in America if a handful of corporations can manipulate the outcome.

Having said that, Trump scares me a lot as well. It's not funny anymore.

>:x
    Right... It proves nothing at all. It proves that when people's interest are attacked they fight back.

If people actually fracking voted, and were interested in politics for the last 30 years, corporations wouldn't have that power.

People give it all away., even voting for a GOP whose whole premise in 'let the elite get the money and power and all will be fine", trickle down citizen united, etc.

Considering many of the things Trump and Sanders talk about are just continuation of the same, with corporations and government taking even more control of people's lives, making people even more complacent,I find their whole outrage completely bunk.

You think that being under a Puntin like vise (which is basically a lot of what Trump reflects) gives you more of a voice? More of a voice from someone who is lawsuit happy about anyone speaking aganst him?

Inform yourself and go fucking vote; Sanders and Trump are peddling shit from both sides while claiming their different? They're part of the problem, using low info voters to suit their needs, not the solution.

Considering Trump is in the god damn establishment all is life and Sanders been in god damn Washington for 30 years representing the most wide bread state in the union, those god damn words, their affirmation of being outsiders, are beyond absurd.

It took 40 years of not caring by the electorate to get to this point; one election won't solve anything/
    If they should be mad at someone, it should be themselves for letting things go that far.
    It will take a long time to get back to a good place; acting out and crapping on the carpet, which voting for Trump essentially is, will not fix 40 years of doing nothing.

The ,key to reform is in the house and the senate, not the white house.
    Notice that Trump supporters basically control the House and see how that has gone; worse performance ever!

edited March 2016 palomineai46
  • Reply 86 of 180
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    ireland said:
    pigybank said:
    No offense, and I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but if that is who the American people choose, then that is who they choose. This is especially frightening if people within the government themselves are looking to interfere in the electoral process. Why don't Tim and these big tech companies plot to help a candidate they support win instead?
    I think it says a lot about the American people, but more about your news media, the lack of a job they are doing and how dangerous they have made the environment coming up to an election.
    Also people need to understand that "the American people" aren't deciding squat in these nominations for either party.  For example, in Iowa this year they had record turnout for the Republican caucuses.  182,000 Iowans caucused.  There are, however, 2.3M eligible voters in Iowa.  So, when you consider that Cruz "won" the state with 27.7% of the caucus votes that means that he had a grand total of about 50,000 votes in total.  Or, about 2% of the eligible voters in Iowa voted for the "winner" of the state.

People read WAY too much into these results.
  • Reply 87 of 180
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Considering the source was the Huffington Post, I don't believe a word of it.

If there actually were some sort of conspiracy among business leaders and the establishment GOP that would be notable since all of the business leaders cited are liberal Democrats.

in other words, this sounds like a complete fabrication.
    Right? Why would Ryan and Mitch meet with a group of super liberals that hate them and their party, and risk isolating themselves from their colleagues and the voters? They might not be thrilled at the prospect of a Trump presidency, but they'd fight tooth and nail for that over a Hillary/Sanders Commander in Chief. 
    Actually Mitch has said if Trump wins the nom, he'll support Hillary. 

The leadership doesn't want Trump. 
    ai46tallest skil
  • Reply 88 of 180
    I can't belive I am saying this, but if it comes down to Trump versus Hillary and if I had to vote, then I would take Trump. I wanted to see a match between Bernie and Rand Paul. There is still some hope. If only Bernie could defeat Hillary and who knows, I am waiting to see if the DOJ will have the guts to indict Hillary over email gate pending the FBI's investigation.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 89 of 180
    Urei1620 said:
    I can't belive I am saying this, but if it comes down to Trump versus Hillary and if I had to vote, then I would take Trump. I wanted to see a match between Bernie and Rand Paul. There is still some hope. If only Bernie could defeat Hillary and who knows, I am waiting to see if the DOJ will have the guts to indict Hillary over email gate pending the FBI's investigation.

Guess we should indict Condi Rice and many in this and previous admins who did the same thing too then, who did the exact same thing then?
    I'm going to say no, because you one track mind twits don't really think everything through.
    For the rest, All I hear is blah blah blah blah, indict, right...  We all I have "wet dreams", guess I know yours...

Tell me why Trump, who is competent in nothing,
    - someone whose net worth is dependent on his "state of mind", so says he in court when someone said he was just worth 100M (that's 100 times less than what he says BTW) and if you account for inflation has lost most of his father's inheritance
    - who has gone bankrupt 4 times,
    -  someone who says "who knows what I was thinking" when caught in lies
    - someone who started a loan company as the whole loan industry was already falling apart (saying this business was of course "great'),
    - someone who clearly has no knowledge of foreign affairs as proved countless time
    - someone who is clearly xenophobic, misogynistic and vulgar
    - Someone who is, narcissic "'I'm the greatest" 100 times a day
    - who makes people do a fascist like pledge!! and has many fascist leanings in his stated policies and even actions
    - Someone who sues, or threaten to sue people all day long if they contradict him (btw, he mostly loses those)
    - Someone who says he's never settled (and settled countless times when sued, many of those suits are for defrauding people)
    -  someone who claims to be an outsider when he's been in the middle of the shady end of business all his life
    - Someone who has hired illegals
    -  Someone who got his products manufactured in China and then rails against other companies doing this,
    - Someone with many biographical claims that turned out false
    etc, etc, etc

Most of these things specifically go against what he says, so that makes him first of all a liar.

You think HRC is worse than this piece of shit! Really, you want me to take you seriously?

You would ALWAYS have voted for that piece of shit Trump; so please spare me the whole spiel about your supposed "going that way".
    A sane person would vote for neither if indeed they think both are bad; you're basically doing the same thing as the rest of the GOP who says Trump is a piece of crap yet They'll vote for him because he's the GOP.

edited March 2016 aaronjpalominedysamoria
  • Reply 90 of 180
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Before Obama, America was run by retards with extreme views for 20 years. Trump will fit right in.
  • Reply 91 of 180
    apple ][ You seem to have anger management issues. You are right in saying that we have zero input in your elections but if Drumpf (as his Grandfather - a bordell owner was called) is President he also has access to Nuclear weapons. As long as he only blows up the US this is your issue/decision - however, that is not how it works. I don't really think it is necessary to say that other countries can screw themselves - pretty infantile reasoning. Also, why is it funny if other countries are in complete collapse? Does this make you feel any better?
    apple ][ said:
    rob53 said:

I'm sure all the non-Americans watching this fiasco are laughing their a**es off. 
    Have you seen the rest of the world lately? It's a complete mess, and the majority of world leaders are class-A, clueless morons.

The opinions of 100% of all non-Americans are completely irrelevant as they have zero say in OUR elections. They can all go and screw themselves. Many countries are in complete collapse, now that is hilarious! We'll see who gets the last laugh. :#
    mr odysamoria
  • Reply 92 of 180
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    apple ][ said:
    Haha, the elites are getting more and more desperate. How pathetic.

Any fascist elites who believe that they have the right to dictate who the common man votes for should probably all move to North Korea, as they would fit in much better there.

I agree, the RNC should all be packing and leaving given they are the worst offenders.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 93 of 180
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Anyone ask Dick Cheney?  That guy knows how to off some people.
  • Reply 94 of 180
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    bobschlob said:
    Ha!! Right wing republican nut jobs create a monster; now they want the left wing Calufornia tech community to help them destroy it.
    Better be some major quid pro quo here, fellas
    Of course there is a quid pro quo here, but this is more of a shake-down by the Neo-Cons (Kristol and NY Times are major Iraq war supporters).
    The Tech companies were probably told that if they want to have their increased H1B visas they better pony up some money to defeat Trump.
    Trump = Wall = No Immigration Reform = No H1B Visas for High tech.    Just like when Apple and the other companies were caught colluding on hiring to Keep labor costs down, this is just another way for them to get cheaper IT workers.
  • Reply 95 of 180
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    apple ][ said:
    rob53 said:

I'm sure all the non-Americans watching this fiasco are laughing their a**es off. 
    Have you seen the rest of the world lately? It's a complete mess, and the majority of world leaders are class-A, clueless morons.

The opinions of 100% of all non-Americans are completely irrelevant as they have zero say in OUR elections. They can all go and screw themselves. Many countries are in complete collapse, now that is hilarious! We'll see who gets the last laugh. :#
    The only places in the world that are a complete mess are places where the US has encouraged or actively assisted in the creation of war and insurrection. Namely, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Yemen and Ukraine. Most of the other countries, with the exception perhaps of Greece and parts of Africa, are doing quite well, thank you. And, while I accept that my views are completely irrelevant to the outcome of your elections (as, thankfully, are yours when it comes to our elections) I do hope that you can elect someone who can stop your military industrial complex from generating ever more profit form other people's misery and instead support companies like Apple that provide us with the power to be our best.
    mr oaaronjdysamoria
  • Reply 96 of 180
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Tim Cook is tessting my Apple loyalty right now. The end my be near. NEver thought it would happen but he is singlehandidly doing it. I know I am just one customer so he wont lose ay sleep about it.
  • Reply 97 of 180
    apple ][ said:
    Haha, the elites are getting more and more desperate. How pathetic.

Any fascist elites who believe that they have the right to dictate who the common man votes for should probably all move to North Korea, as they would fit in much better there.

Land of the free no more!
  • Reply 98 of 180

evilution said:
    Before Obama, America was run by retards with extreme views for 20 years. Trump will fit right in.
    Obama is not extreme?

LOL
    tallest skil
  • Reply 99 of 180
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    Tim ought to stick to technology and leave politics to someone else...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 100 of 180
    lmagoo said:
    Tim ought to stick to technology and leave politics to someone else...
    Touche!