ExxonMobil launches Apple Pay at the pump at 6,000 stations, only through in-app purchase

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Apple Pay users can now pay at the pump at 6,000 ExxonMobil gas stations, though it's through the official Speedpass+ app, instead of a tap-to-pay transaction.

The Speedpass+ app was updated on Tuesday with support for Apple Pay on compatible devices. Previously, users had to manually enter and save their credit card info to use the app, but now they can authorize purchases with just the scan of a fingerprint.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook first revealed in January that ExxonMobil was set to accept Apple Pay at the pump through Speedpass+ at some 6,000 Exxon and Mobil stations. After identifying their station via GPS, the app allows users to enter their pump number or scan a QR code to pay for their specific terminal.

The app can also be used to purchase a car wash with Apple Pay, where available.

ExxonMobil's support, however, is not quite the seamless tap-to-pay support for Apple Pay that most consumers identify with. By relying on in-app purchases, the Speedpass+ app allows mobile payments without the need to install NFC reading contactless payment terminals at the pump.

Launching at 6,000 Exxon and Mobil gas stations in 46 states starting Tuesday, Apple Pay support will expand to 2,000 more locations by mid-year, according to CNet. ExxonMobil plans to have Apple Pay with Speedpass+ at all of its 10,000 stores by the end of the year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    FAIL.  I am not going to download an app for every place I shop at!
    Especially for gas. Stupid Exxon.
    I saw the headline and thought hey I could get my gas from them and use Apple Pay--then I saw the app requirement, and that is not reasonable. 

zroger73nolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 62
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Look, Wenzel Dashington is using it...
  • Reply 3 of 62
    I use Apple products exclusively for personal and mobile computing, but I won't pay more for gas just so I can use ApplePay and benefit an oil company.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Good luck with this, Exxon.

• Dig your smartphone out of your pocket
    • Unlock
    • Swipe to find the Exxon app
    • Tap the app to open
    • Locate the SpeedPass "Pump ID" on the pump
    • Type the "Pump ID" in to the app
    • Choose from their variety of payment options
    • Finally, pay with Apple Pay using TouchID

... the epitome of a non customer-first, Microsoft-esque solution.
    edited March 2016 palominerocketmanjbdragonnolamacguynetroxxmhillxAnijony0lostkiwitechno
  • Reply 5 of 62
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Although not the way I want to pay, it's a start. Good thing is I've started to see signs go up at places advertising that they accept Apple/Android Pay. 
    rocketmanjbdragonAnibadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Wait, I thought we were *not* supposed to be waving around a phone at gas pumps.
    jbdragonxmhillxlostkiwibadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 62
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    I'm not going through all this gobbledegook because they don't want to update their pumps to use NFC. When are these companies going to get that if you can't make the contactless payment options seamless (like Apple Pay is supposed to work), then it's more trouble than it's worth. It's easier just to swipe my card.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 62
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Part of using ApplePay was the anonymity of the payment.  Now, they get to track who made the payment.

palominelostkiwibadmonk
  • Reply 9 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Cash only.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 62
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    Good luck with this, Exxon.

• Dig your smartphone out of your pocket
    • Unlock
    • Swipe to find the Exxon app
    • Tap the app to open
    • Locate the SpeedPass "Pump ID" on the pump
    • Type the "Pump ID" in to the app
    • Choose from their variety of payment options
    • Finally, pay with Apple Pay using TouchID

... the epitome of a non customer-first, Microsoft-esque solution.
    Oh, my goodness! You poor abused little thing, you! What a CHORE to have to "Dig your smartphone out of your pocket"! Awwwwww.

On the contrary, I think this is an elegant solution for using Apple Pay to buy gas.

I just now downloaded the Speedpass+ app and found all my local Exxon/Mobil stations, which is a handy feature in itself.

When I tap "Pay for Fuel" I get a camera window for scanning the pump's QR code.

I haven't actually used the app yet, but I would expect then to be able to select the Apple Pay-activated card I want to use with which to pay.

Looks very straightforward to me! I will see how the price compares, though. . .
  • Reply 11 of 62

palomine said:
    FAIL.  I am not going to download an app for every place I shop at!
    Especially for gas. Stupid Exxon.
    I saw the headline and thought hey I could get my gas from them and use Apple Pay--then I saw the app requirement, and that is not reasonable. 

Wrong.

This is a PASS (as in Speedpass!). Looks simple and elegant to me.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    What a joke.

'Nuff said.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    ExxonMobil's support, however, is not quite the seamless tap-to-pay support for Apple Pay that most consumers identify with. By relying on in-app purchases, the Speedpass+ app allows mobile payments without the need to install NFC reading contactless payment terminals at the pump.
    But I thought ExxonMobil already had NFC in their pumps. Can someone explain?

https://www.speedpass.com/how-speedpass-works
  • Reply 14 of 62
    onlyhopeonlyhope Posts: 39member
    icoco3 said:
    Part of using ApplePay was the anonymity of the payment.  Now, they get to track who made the payment.

Yes, that was one of the design points of ApplePay but the merchants have no interest in being disintermediated in the payment process since that is where they collect your personal data - which is in many cases more valuable than the product you are purchasing. Red Apple grocery stores are implementing ApplePay, but they require you to verify your purchase at their NFC terminal and then SIGN for it - one of the more absurd payment solutions I've come across since that signature has no connection to you or ApplePay.

UPDATE: I just installed the Speedpass+ App and it only requires you to Register with a valid email account - which could easily be a 'blind-account'. There is no other personal data required ( you can put any "NAME" you want in the registration). 

It's just to bad merchants want to be so 'in the way' of the transaction.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 62
    I think it's very wise of Exxon/Mobil to take this particular approach in supporting Apple Pay. It's probably a lot less expensive to implement for them, too.

It's also a great marketing tool for them. The app helps the user find the nearest E/M station so that they can buy gas with Apple Pay. What Apple Pay user doesn't want to use it everywhere in order to maximize its convenience and security?

With this system, the bad guys' pump card snoopers won't work for Apple Pay customers, either.

I'll check for sure when I start using this system whether or not they add a service charge or something, but I'm guessing that they won't.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    Giving 30% to Apple must have cost less than installing NFC readers, however that decision also cuts them out of all the other NFC payment devices, like contactless credit cards themselves. Might seem strange to most but they must have run the numbers.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 62
    I'm not going through all this gobbledegook because they don't want to update their pumps to use NFC. When are these companies going to get that if you can't make the contactless payment options seamless (like Apple Pay is supposed to work), then it's more trouble than it's worth. It's easier just to swipe my card.
    It's NOT more trouble than it's worth.

I checked with E/M a few weeks ago about the availability of Apple Pay. I was told that it would only be available with Speedpass+, but that it also wouldn't be available in Florida right away, most likely because of the time it would take to install all the NFC scanners.

But with today's news of the updated system, I downloaded the app, tapped on "Find a Station", and I see all of my local E/M stations.

This is a much better and more straightforward solution.

I'll be purchasing my next gas at E/M and let y'all know how it went, using Apple Pay. I'm excited!
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Giving 30% to Apple must have cost less than installing NFC readers, however that decision also cuts them out of all the other NFC payment devices, like contactless credit cards themselves. Might seem strange to most but they must have run the numbers.
    No it doesn't. Where do you get this 30% crap? Read this link: https://www.quora.com/Does-Apple-take-a-percentage-of-Apple-Pay-transactions

In the app, you can select payment methods other than Apple Pay.

Look before you "think".
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 19 of 62
    icoco3 said:

So what?

Keep in mind that no user or account data is included in an Apple Pay transaction, and that transaction goes from customer to bank via the phone app, not through E/M. All E/M gets is that you as a customer bought so much gas at a particular pump/station. That's essentially anonymous, and it ultimately benefits you as E/M can learn better which stations get the business so that they can pay more attention to those, and they can better determine where to put new stations.
  • Reply 20 of 62

Cash only.
    Dinosaur.