Apple CEO Tim Cook attends secret meeting with tech and government elite to plot end to Trump presi

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    steveau said:
    apple ][ said:
    Have you seen the rest of the world lately? It's a complete mess, and the majority of world leaders are class-A, clueless morons.

The opinions of 100% of all non-Americans are completely irrelevant as they have zero say in OUR elections. They can all go and screw themselves. Many countries are in complete collapse, now that is hilarious! We'll see who gets the last laugh. :#
    The only places in the world that are a complete mess are places where the US has encouraged or actively assisted in the creation of war and insurrection. Namely, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Yemen and Ukraine. Most of the other countries, with the exception perhaps of Greece and parts of Africa, are doing quite well, thank you. And, while I accept that my views are completely irrelevant to the outcome of your elections (as, thankfully, are yours when it comes to our elections) I do hope that you can elect someone who can stop your military industrial complex from generating ever more profit form other people's misery and instead support companies like Apple that provide us with the power to be our best.
    While I agree about it completely for Iraq  and somewhat for Syria and Yemen, you're talking total absolute bull shit about Ukraine; that's coming from someone who has been there recently and has deep connection in that country, exaggerating to make a point makes your point much weaker.

Funny how Russian's involvement in Ukraine seems to "escape" you completely.
    The fact the Russians were basically bankrolling the criminals that were kicked out, escapes you completely too.
    Got friend who were there facing guns for days in Kiev; they didn't have the US to back them at all.

Makes me think of all the USSR sympathizer in the west prior to the 1968 who routinely disregarded anything done by Russia because otherwise there would be a heavy cognitive dissonance going on.

The US has a massive share of blame, especially the criminal Bush admin,
    but making as though everything is their responsibility and there are no legitimate reasons these conflict existed is pure crap.
    and it's making it "all about the US" (a kind of colonial point of viewpoint coming from so called leftist "friends" of those countries).
    People there have legitimate grievances and there is a good chance many of those things would have spilled over regardless.

Are Arab countries fighting to remain sort of secular like Tunisia, hindered or not by your conspiracy. Was the Arab Spring a conspiracy; seems so in your book.
    Everything is a conspiracy...

Assaad is a criminal, no doubt; that he's not as bad as ISIS is besides the point.
    Also, the fact that giving importance to the grievance of their population blew up the country, in great part because Assaad didn't back down, seems to be of no importance to you at all.

Iran is involved knee deep in Yemen and Syria and the Saudis too; part of the escalation would occur regardless of the US involvement.
    They are at war for quite some time.
    The Kurdish Turkey mess also has been going on a long time and has been on the brink for a while.
    If you mix in The Israeli and Palestinian situation, rising radicalization of some Islamic factions that have been going on quite some time.
    Mispent oil wealth that leaves the young alienated, deep economic turmoil throughout the whole region.

Blaming the US for things doesn't mean they're responsible for everything; the world can go to war without it's involvement at all.

I want people to stop ideological garbage being spewed by conspiracy nuts all they long.

BTW, nobody currently running, is going to be reversing policy, especially Trump who wants to make this a belligerent religious war!
    While Sanders wants what? Isolationism? Diplomacy is the best way to change the world but it's very very hard.

So, not even sure what we're talking about.

• Reply 102 of 180
    msantti said:

evilution said:
    Before Obama, America was run by retards with extreme views for 20 years. Trump will fit right in.
    Obama is not extreme?

LOL
    Right... If you crap out LOL it must be true. (sic)
  • Reply 103 of 180
    k2kw said:
    bobschlob said:
    Ha!! Right wing republican nut jobs create a monster; now they want the left wing Calufornia tech community to help them destroy it.
    Better be some major quid pro quo here, fellas
    Of course there is a quid pro quo here, but this is more of a shake-down by the Neo-Cons (Kristol and NY Times are major Iraq war supporters).
    The Tech companies were probably told that if they want to have their increased H1B visas they better pony up some money to defeat Trump.
    Trump = Wall = No Immigration Reform = No H1B Visas for High tech.    Just like when Apple and the other companies were caught colluding on hiring to Keep labor costs down, this is just another way for them to get cheaper IT workers.
    Again, conspiracy garbage. If you say so so tin foil guy.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 104 of 180
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    lmagoo said:
    Tim ought to stick to technology and leave politics to someone else...
    So, let me get this straight.  In your world, only politicians and the political class should discuss or engage in politics.  If someone's a mechanic, he should "stick to fixing cars and leave politics to someone else."  If someone's an actor, he should "stick to making movies and leave the politics to someone else."  If someone's a hotel maid, she should "stick to cleaning hotel rooms and leave the politics to someone else."

Do I have that right?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 105 of 180
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    If it was a secret meeting how did the Huntington Post know they were talking about Trump.  Maybe they are planning a nationwide HyperLoop system.  Who knows maybe they met up trying to decide the best cheesecake. Bottom line we-don't-know what they talked about. This is why it was a "secret meeting,"
  • Reply 106 of 180
    73dray73dray Posts: 12member
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Trump supporter but this kind of behind the scenes conjecturing against him by the 'elites' is why Trump is so popular. To another comment, Sea Island is anything but public. You can't just drive out there to hang out at the beach and sip margaritas. It's gated and very private. The feeling I got when we had day passes was that it was a resort for the 1%.
  • Reply 107 of 180
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    rob53 said:
    pigybank said:
    No offense, and I'm not at all a Trump supporter, but if that is who the American people choose, then that is who they choose. This is especially frightening if people within the government themselves are looking to interfere in the electoral process. Why don't Tim and these big tech companies plot to help a candidate they support win instead?

I'm sure all the non-Americans watching this fiasco are laughing their a**es off. ...
    Just before moving from England back to the US, I sat through the election that swept Tony Blair into Downing Street.  You want to talk about entertaining, the US election cycle doesn't hold a candle to what goes on over there.  Although, their process is preferable.  It begins and lasts 4-5 weeks, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

And many other countries just wish they could had an opportunity to even have a choice that counts. (us included hehe)
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 108 of 180
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    I guess America is finally getting their first woman president. Congratulations.
    Someone that enters as a crook instead of leaving as a crook?
    edited March 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 109 of 180
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sflocal said:
    I find it funny that the Republican party is in such disarray, they flat-out refuse to accept the fact that the reason Trump is in the position that he's in is because the PEOPLE have voted him there.  

Insulting Trump is basically insulting the majority of Americans that have voted for Trump.  I'm no fan of Trump, but I do admire how Trump was able to expose the Republican candidates as the frauds they are.  Shame on all of them for trying to keep the status-quo.  The political system has been broken for so long, that someone like Trump needed to make an appearance to really show everyone how bad it is.

That being said... I cannot stand any of the candidates - both Democrats and Republicans.  Out of the hundreds of millions of Americans, this is the best we can do?  It's an embarrassment.
    If you want to really see the breadth of Trump's attacks against establishment Repubicans (not to mention his opponents) subscribe to his Twitter account. He was ripping the "Club for Growth" to ribbons yesterday! That's an old money group that's a staple for candidates to go begging for endorsements. It's a beautiful thing watching Trump basically telling all these "kingmakers" to go to hell.
    icoco3anantksundaram
  • Reply 110 of 180
    rs9 said:
    If it was a secret meeting how did the Huntington Post know they were talking about Trump.  Maybe they are planning a nationwide HyperLoop system.  Who knows maybe they met up trying to decide the best cheesecake. Bottom line we-don't-know what they talked about. This is why it was a "secret meeting,"
    We know what they talked about.  We just don't know what they said.  There are no transcripts.  That doesn't mean that the basic subject of the meeting is secret.
  • Reply 111 of 180
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/lust-for-destruction

"When people try to make sense of this topsy-turvy, norm-busting election year, one of the key mistake they make is to assume that the dynamics that operate for Donald Trump in the Republican primary will operate in a general election. They won't. I'm not saying Trump can't win a national election. In a Clinton v Trump match-up I think anything from a shattering Trump defeat to a narrow Trump victory is possible. But many people now believe that Trump can defy political gravity - flouting conventions of propriety, embracing extremist positions, casually changing positions, all with no penalty. That won't work in a general election."

Pretty good article; probably not something a Trump supporter would want to agree with though.

• Reply 112 of 180
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    msantti said:

evilution said:
    Before Obama, America was run by retards with extreme views for 20 years. Trump will fit right in.
    Obama is not extreme?

LOL
    What exactly about him do you find extreme? I am genuinely curious.
  • Reply 113 of 180
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

All I have to say, why is the Republican party so worry about Trump, what is it about him that scare them so much. Remember it is politicians who are the one saying there is something wrong with him. May be it is because they can not control him and what he says and he does not owe them anything and will not do their bidding. These are people who making their living off the backs of tax payers without tax payers paying their salaries these people would not have a job.

You always have to ask yourself what is the motivation of these people when they are trying to bash someone like Trump.

icoco3
  • Reply 114 of 180
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Doubtful. I've no issue with a woman president, but Hillary is a terrible candidate, a liar and utterly untrustworthy.
    And yet her opponent is Trump. Go with the lesser of two evils.
    I am. Hillary is the greater of evils.
    designricoco3
  • Reply 115 of 180
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    aaronj said:
    Well, and a politician being a "liar and utterly untrustworthy" describes pretty much anyone who has run a (relatively) serious campaign at any level of government.  It's nearly a job requirement.  

I support Hillary and will vote for her.  But I do respect Bernie a great deal, and his ideas are, for the most part, in line with my own.  I also think that he is fairly honest and straight-forward from what I can tell.  I simply don't think he's electable.  And as I said in a post above, the Democratic nomination process is, for all intents and purposes, already finished.  So, I am not going to bother voting in the Democratic primary tomorrow in Michigan.  Hillary has a nearly 20 point lead in most polls, and she already has the nomination wrapped up.  I'll watch some movies. :)

Or maybe I will go vote in the Republican primary for Kasich.  Heh.  That would be the first GOP primary I ever voted in.  And unless things have changed since last time -- which they may very have -- I am pretty sure we still have an open primary system here in Michigan.  Hmm.  I should check that actually.
    See this is what is wrong with Americans. You admit that your choice for President is not going to be given to you. Oh you can write in a vote for Bernie, but that is not the same as him being the democratic nominee. But you openly admit that watching a some movies is more important than voting. You get the opportunity once every four or eight years to vote for a president. Does anyone one realize that it is the people who give up or just can't be bothered with the process are the ones that keep the process broken. If every person who agrees with Bernie's ideas would get up off their fat assess and vote in the primary, he would be the nominee. If every Democrat votes in the general election than the democrat would take at least 45 states. But they don't because we have more important things to do, like watch movies. We all know that movie days only come around every four or eight years so best not miss that.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 116 of 180
    kent909 said:
    aaronj said:
    Well, and a politician being a "liar and utterly untrustworthy" describes pretty much anyone who has run a (relatively) serious campaign at any level of government.  It's nearly a job requirement.  

I support Hillary and will vote for her.  But I do respect Bernie a great deal, and his ideas are, for the most part, in line with my own.  I also think that he is fairly honest and straight-forward from what I can tell.  I simply don't think he's electable.  And as I said in a post above, the Democratic nomination process is, for all intents and purposes, already finished.  So, I am not going to bother voting in the Democratic primary tomorrow in Michigan.  Hillary has a nearly 20 point lead in most polls, and she already has the nomination wrapped up.  I'll watch some movies.

Or maybe I will go vote in the Republican primary for Kasich.  Heh.  That would be the first GOP primary I ever voted in.  And unless things have changed since last time -- which they may very have -- I am pretty sure we still have an open primary system here in Michigan.  Hmm.  I should check that actually.
    See this is what is wrong with Americans. You admit that your choice for President is not going to be given to you. Oh you can write in a vote for Bernie, but that is not the same as him being the democratic nominee. But you openly admit that watching a some movies is more important than voting. You get the opportunity once every four or eight years to vote for a president. Does anyone one realize that it is the people who give up or just can't be bothered with the process are the ones that keep the process broken. If every person who agrees with Bernie's ideas would get up off their fat assess and vote in the primary, he would be the nominee. If every Democrat votes in the general election than the democrat would take at least 45 states. But they don't because we have more important things to do, like watch movies. We all know that movie days only come around every four or eight years so best not miss that.

The first Presidential election I was eligible to vote in was 1988.  I voted.  And I haven't missed a general election vote since.  Actually, I haven't missed a midterm election either with the exception of 1994, when I had the flu, a fever of about 102 and spent the whole day vomiting.  So, that's what?  13/14?  And the only one I missed was because I was too sick to leave the house?  I'd say that's a pretty darn good record.

But party primaries are not the same thing, especially when the nomination process has already been decided.

Primaries and general elections are two entirely different species.  So don't accuse me of shit until you actually know what you're talking about.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Urei1620Urei1620 Posts: 88member

Agreed. There are no good choices here. I am a Bernie supporter and wish that he come through. However, if it comes down to Hillary and Trump and a gun on my head, I would have to give it to Trump.
    SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 118 of 180
    maestro64 said:

All I have to say, why is the Republican party so worry about Trump, what is it about him that scare them so much. Remember it is politicians who are the one saying there is something wrong with him. May be it is because they can not control him and what he says and he does not owe them anything and will not do their bidding. These are people who making their living off the backs of tax payers without tax payers paying their salaries these people would not have a job.

You always have to ask yourself what is the motivation of these people when they are trying to bash someone like Trump.

Making them hypocrites, are wanting to keep their lunch safe (sic), doesn't make Trump good or even palatable.
    People that use this kind of argument, that voting for Trump, HRC, or the rest of the GOP are doing a false equivalency thing here; they're not all the same.

Clinton's positions look a lot like her husband's positions; she's got some minor divergences on foreign policy and the economy but it's pretty close.
    Some people may trust her less than Sanders, because she's supposed to be "colluding" with wall street make me laugh when you consider Sanders been in Washington forever representing the least complicated white bread state in the US.

But, simple magical solutions to complicated intricate issues is what Trump and Sanders are selling; so they're tapping into the same vein.

The US, despite what Trumpie says, is in relatively good shape despite trickle down economics; it could be better if the GOP would be more like the GOP of the 1950s-1960s (more centrist).

Most of the issues that the US have have been cause by that 30 years of GOP trickled down economics. The GOP voters have voted against their economic interests by their party which has used issue based politics, as a distraction. Trump is doing the same with the whole US vs them spiel.

The incredible thing is the reason TRump has an audience is that trickle down has damaged the GOP states the most and thus whites living in those states have been reduced to the status of other poor in those states like blacks and Latinos.

It is this nostalgia for this lost differentiation, where they were above minorities and didn't have to fight with them for the scraps that the 1% give them that's fueled their rage.

They should be enraged against the GOP that put them there... But, not by basically just going for a more extreme form of the same!!!
    That's beyond ironic that they're reaction is basically having them doing more of the same, except turning to Trump and even Cruz (who is also batshit insane);
    their rage is digging their own grave even further.

Well, the Red state got exactly what they voted for and the result is angry white men pursuing the charade to its xenophobic conclusion.
    edited March 2016 quadra 610aaronjdysamoria
  • Reply 119 of 180
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Urei1620 said:

Agreed. There are no good choices here. I am a Bernie supporter and wish that he come through. However, if it comes down to Hillary and Trump and a gun on my head, I would have to give it to Trump.
    That's why I love Bernie supporters; they feel so entitled to cut their own throats. Don't let me stand in your way.
    icoco3SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 120 of 180
    Urei1620 said:

Voting to someone whose going to rip your world apart to spite HRC? Seriously?
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    edited March 2016 dysamoria