Former iOS chief Scott Forstall produces second Broadway show

Posted:
in General Discussion
Former Apple executive Scott Forstall, who was forced out of Cupertino in 2012 after a botched Apple Maps launch, is co-producing his second Broadway production in "Eclipsed," a tale of a Liberian warlord's captive sex slaves starring Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o.

Forstall took to Twitter on Monday to announce the news, saying he is proud to be part of the first Broadway show to feature an all-female creative team and cast. This will be his second stage production after last year's "Fun Home," which became the first musical with an all-female writing staff to win a Tony for Best Musical, The Verge reports.

Beyond financial backing, it is unclear how involved the former iOS guru got in bringing "Eclipsed" to Broadway. Forstall played a large role in the "Fun Home" marketing campaign, working on search engine optimization and other tech-related initiatives in cooperation with Silicon Valley contacts he made while at Apple.

Written by The Walking Dead actress Danai Gurira, "Eclipsed" was staged at The Public Theater's 177-seat LuEsther Hall in October before opening at the 900-seat Golden Theater on Sunday, reports Variety. Like "Fun Home," Forstall is listed in the credits as co-producer alongside his wife.

Since leaving Forstall has largely avoided the public eye. He has published a total of five tweets since joining Twitter in April 2015, and currently follows three other accounts: the official pages of "Eclipsed" and "Fun Home," and Conan O'Brien.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Guess he found his calling?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Guess he found his calling?
    Call girls at the very least.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Some pretty ignorant comments on here. He is supporting the arts (theatre to be exact). He comes from Apple and guess who also was interested in bringing art and technology together? Yes, Steve Jobs himself. 
    sergioz
  • Reply 4 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    spice-boy said:
    Some pretty ignorant comments on here. He is supporting the arts (theatre to be exact). He comes from Apple and guess who also was interested in bringing art and technology together? Yes, Steve Jobs himself. 
    What exactly does this have to do with technology?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    danvdrdanvdr Posts: 25member
    This is Apple Insider, not Apple-technology Insider. A lot of people are interested to see what happened to Scott since he was one of Steve's right hand men. 

It would also be very easy to not read and comment on the article if it doesn't appeal to you.

propod
  • Reply 6 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    He's been amazingly quiet. Not a peep. Not an interview about why he left. No appearances on cnbc or fox dissing Apple. Kudos. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    It's his money. He can damn well do with it as he pleases. 

Given my own biases, I am glad it's being spent on the arts (instead of, say, a sports team or an island in the Caribbean). 
    edited March 2016 minicoffeeJanNLpscooter63hmm
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    spice-boy said:
    He used to be part of Apple and then Apple let him go when he screwd up on iMaps.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Good work, Scott. Good luck to you!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    asdasd said:
    He's been amazingly quiet. Not a peep. Not an interview about why he left. No appearances on cnbc or fox dissing Apple. Kudos. 
    I'm guessing even though he no longer works there he is still a significant owner of stock.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That actress is some piece of work. A truly disgusting individual. Wasn't it her who was caught having sex in a car, and then when caught she lied, and accused the poilce of racism? What a dirt bag.

I am neutral when it comes to Scott Forstall, I have nothing against him, but I do hope that this play flops because of the choice of questionable talent and racist involved in the production.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    apple ][ said:
    That actress is some piece of work. A truly disgusting individual. Wasn't it her who was caught having sex in a car, and then when caught she lied, and accused the poilce of racism? What a dirt bag.
    Nope, different actress, but all black women look the same, right?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I love having sex in a car, what's wrong with that morality police?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    miirekmiirek Posts: 1member
    sog35 said:
    I want Cook to bring him back. I think he has been humbled enough to be a 'team worker'

Sure he screwed up Maps but the guy has obvious talent and swag.  Right now Apple is lacking swag. 

Jobs saw his talent.
    He doesn't fit Cooks' rainbow-like Apple of today, IMHO.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    sergioz said:
    He used to be part of Apple and then Apple let him go when he screwd up on iMaps
    Apple iMaps wasn't ready for release at the time which was bad but its not like Cook has got it anywhere as good as google maps. Same with Siri. The board should bring Forestall back. They need a software leader with more vision that Cook has (which is none).
  • Reply 16 of 17
    1. He did not screw anything. Minor iMaps problems were only an excuse the untalented box maker Jony Ive used in his plot to take Scott's position. 2. If the real reason was really iMaps Jony Ive shall be sacked immediately for all the problems we encounter with the laziest, ugliest and most corrupted iOS ever (7). 3. Letting Scott Forstall go Apple OS lost its class and inherent beauty and turned into more expensive version of Hello Kitty or Peppa Pig only with more lazy, awful and stolen, cheap, plastic "design".