Absurd report claims Apple is prepping a 5.8" iPhone with OLED display for 2018

Posted:
in iPhone
Taiwanese analysts reportedly believe Apple is about to join the mobile display size arms race, adding a yet larger display to its flagship iPhone lineup and moving to more power efficient OLED technology in the process. That seems highly unlikely -- here's why.

Samsung's 6.3" Galaxy Mega

Apple has "plans to launch a 5.8-inch iPhone featuring rigid AMOLED display panels in 2018 or even earlier in 2017," DigiTimes believes, as noted by Motley Fool. They anticipate that as many as 50 million of those devices might move in their first year of availability.

Samsung would supply the initial batch of OLED panels, the report said with other current Apple suppliers falling in line later.

The Fool believes this could represent the second-generation "iPhone Pro." Apple is rumored to have at least discussed releasing two versions of the iPhone 7 Plus -- the "Pro" variant would ship with dual cameras, some believe.

While it's a virtual certainty that Apple will eventually migrate the iPhone lineup to power saving OLED, the idea that they may encroach even further into phablet territory is less than believable. This kind of move would give Apple iOS devices at no few than 7 different physical screen dimensions -- 4, 4.7, 5.5, 5.8, 7.9, 9.7, and 12.9 inches.

A 5.8-inch iPhone wouldn't be considerably larger than Apple's current 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus. In contrast, at 4.7 inches for the iPhone 6s, and 4 inches for the iPhone 5s, each model in Apple's current lineup has room to stand out from one another.

The iPhone launched in 2007 with a 3.5-inch display, eventually growing to a taller 4-inch screen with the iPhone 5, and then adding 4.7- and 5.5-inch models starting two years later. Though Apple hasn't updated its 4-inch iPhone model since the debut of the iPhone 5s in 2013, that's expected to change in less than two weeks, with a rumored March 21 event expected to unveil an improved model with a smaller screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Maybe the end of the home button with Touch ID built into the screen? Then able to get a bigger screen in the same or smaller footprint? Just a guess.
    1983iSRSlevi6Sgoldfishrcfa
  • Reply 2 of 48
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    seankill said:
    Maybe the end of the home button with Touch ID built into the screen? Then able to get a bigger screen in the same or smaller footprint? Just a guess.
    If the home button is removed, to wake the phone you'd still need the little power button.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 3 of 48
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Rather than build bigger iPhones, I would like to see the ability to make/receive phone calls using wireless ear buds on iPads and iPhones (as well as Mac's at home).  Heck I can use my Apple Watch as a phone, but it is inconvenient and looks dorky.  So the technology is there.  Why should I carry a phone when I have a perfectly good iPad in my backpack or briefcase that could perform the function of initiating phone functions when pairs to wireless earbuds?
    lmagoo
  • Reply 4 of 48
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    seankill said:
    That's exactly what I was thinking too, it would replace the 5.5" version not supplement it. Following on with this logic the 4.7" iPhone could be replaced by a 5" version. Mind you this is a DigiTimes rumour, so take with a grain of salt!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    AppleInsider said:

A 5.8-inch iPhone wouldn't be considerably larger than Apple's current 5.5-inch iPhone 6s Plus. 
    Agreed. If they do go to 5.8" they will likely ditch the 5.5" model.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I would love this size of iPhone. Remove some of the bezel and it could be done. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Event not March 21. March 22.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I like to see AI calling out the “absurd” rumors, too much nonsense gets taken seriously by gullible readers.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 48
    katastroffkatastroff Posts: 103member
    DigiTimes has a 100% accurate track record in predicting bullsh!t.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm personally not a big fan of huge phones, since I like to keep my phone in my front pocket, and I like to be able to walk outside without carrying any bag, backpack or man purse.

Having said that, I am all for free choice, and I have no issues with somebody making huge phones, as long as people who prefer small size phones are still being catered to.

I also have a theory about huge phones, in particular huge sized Android phones. My theory based on my numerous observations are that most people that I see with huge sized Android phones are people who probably can not afford a large tablet, and their huge phone is therefore a compromise device. I think that some people, especially younger people, use their phone as their main device. They have no larger tablet at home. They don't even have a computer. Their phone is their computer.

As for Apple making a 5.8" phone? At this rate, why not just convert an iPad Mini into a phone? That shouldn't be too hard.

Why hold a 5.8" phone up to your head to make a phone call, when you can be holding an awesome 7.9" phone up to your head? There are numerous advantages to this. For starters, the 7.9" phone can be used to conceal your entire head, and not even an expert lip reader will be able to figure out what you are saying when making a phone call.

For the real daring people out there. They can always go with the iPad Pro sized phone. That is obviously the ultimate phablet phone.
    pscooter63entropys
  • Reply 11 of 48
    seankill said:
    They will wrap the screen around the phone this is why they are moving to OLED which is thiner and can deliver uniform brightness.  Smaller footprint with larger screen.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    the current iPhone 6s Plus already has enough width to easily fit a 5.8 screen (16:9) and it even wouldn’t need to change resolution. The only problem is the home button
  • Reply 13 of 48
    If the rumor is true, it's possible Apple realizes that it's iPad business is pretty much ruined thanks to the rapid proliferation of cheap Android and Windows tablets. Apple may as well roll its iPad business into the iPhone business which Wall Street regards so highly. Of course, that will only help foster the notion that Apple truly is the one-trick iPhone pony company that Wall Street considers it to be. Nothing else Apple has in terms of unit sales will change that belief anyway. I don't concern myself about Apple rumors. If it happens, it happens. It seems like a harmless enough rumor. Far less worse than the constant supply channel checks.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    buckkalubuckkalu Posts: 29member
    I moved from the iPhone 5 to 6+ and love it.  I would buy the 5.8" in a heartbeat.  I am always using it for work and need the extra real estate in the screen.  I am also considering the iPad pro in addition to the 6+.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    sog35 said:
    Like I've been saying for YEARS the next big move for iPhone would be shrinking the bezel and deleting the home button.

I can easily see a 5.8 inch screen.

iPhone Pro - 5.8 inch
    iPhone Plus - 5.2 inches
    iPhone -       4.7 inches
    iPhone Mini -  4.0 inches

Please note that Apple will sell almost 300,000,000 iPhones a year.  So having 4 different size screens is no big deal.  They will still enjoy massive economies of scale and bulk pricing with 4 screen sizes.  This is just the natural progression. Look how the iPod started with one model and expanded to many models. 
    I tacitly agree on the bezel shrink, but disagree on the widening the product line. I just as easily see no 'Pro'  just a different 'Plus.'  

I think the iPod model has moved from shuffle/mini/classic/Touch   to   Watch/iPhone/iPad.   So your comparision pales (each unit in the iPod line had a completely different job to be done, whereas every iPhone has to be [almost] feature-synced).

I think the bulk pricing will get watered down by multiple product lines and engineering specs, as well as SW [graphics] specs. And the requirement to keep 4 years worth of inventory/support for each size you sell (carriers and corp partners require that)   If you sell a 5.8" phone, you need to continue to 'support' a 5.5" phone for 2-4 years after you 'retire' the formfactor (why I feel your 5.2" phone is a non-starter).

My guess is 3 sizes is the right spread (GoldiLocks and the 3 Bears theory of product placement), given that you'll actually have a comet's tail of support for every device you deprecate.  
  • Reply 16 of 48
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    As many have observed, and AI apparently as not, it's quite possible to gain 0.3" of display without making the phone bigger by shrinking the bezel. It's absurd to declare something absurd without due consideration.
    jagnutclemynx
  • Reply 17 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I can argue with the premise of this article. I have my 6+ in front of me. We see that Samsung can make a phone with an OLED display that nearly is edge to edge. That is pretty much the entire front of the glass, and up to the metal sides of the phone. We know that they can also make displays that wrap around.

if Apple made that mythical phone with an edge to edge display that we've been talking about for years now, that reached out to that metal edge, the display, on my phone would be 5.74" diagonal. Yes, it would cut into the bottom shelf, and the top shelf, but not by much.

Apple has been criticized for having such a large top shelf. Since other manufacturers don't have that, I wonder if Apple does it just to have a symmetrical appearance to the phone.  We shouldn't be surprised if that were the case. But if they decided to make this larger display, which is not, hugely bigger, despite what the article states, they could do it without making the phone much larger. Maybe a millimeter wider, perhaps. Not really noticeable. I don't have large hands, and I thought this phone would be too large, but it really isn't. You get used to the size very quickly. Now, the 4.7" model feels too small. My daughter, whose hands are smaller than mine, finds the phone to be just fine in size, and I'm sure the tens of millions who have bought it feel the same way, though there will always be a few who will disagree.

there is no technical reason why Apple can't make this phone with a slightly larger display. In addition, will Apple continue making a 1920 X 1080 display for their top phone? All the indications say no. Developers have been told for years now to follow Apple's guidelines, and not make a fixed resolution UI. It's very likely that if they do go to OLED, the display will be the same resolution as the Samsung, or similar. We do know that in order to get high brightness, OLED manufacturers are resorting to special designs. Samsung uses their proprietary Pentile format, which is RGGB rather than the RGB of an LCD. That causes the display to be coarser than an LCD at the same resolution by about 30%. So a resolution around 30% greater is needed. And that's what we see. Some other manufacturers are using RGBW displays to give higher brightness, and that also leads to coarser displays, and a washed out saturation. It needs to be pointed out that most camera sensors are also RGGB. That gives a lower sharpness when convoluted than an RGB sensor would, but it's used to give greater brightness and detail in the green,where we are most sensitive.

so if Apple does go to an OLED, particularly if they move mainly to Samsung, they may use that Pentile display. Since the 1440 display does give a slightly greater appearance of sharpness than the 1080 display Apple uses now, it's entirely possible that Apple will make a slightly larger display. Dismissing that out of hand is wrong, and shows little understanding of the technologies and design choices Apple has before it.
    afrodri
  • Reply 18 of 48
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I support this absurdity 
  • Reply 19 of 48
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    apple ][ said:
    I'm personally not a big fan of huge phones, since I like to keep my phone in my front pocket, and I like to be able to walk outside without carrying any bag, backpack or man purse.

Having said that, I am all for free choice, and I have no issues with somebody making huge phones, as long as people who prefer small size phones are still being catered to.

I also have a theory about huge phones, in particular huge sized Android phones. My theory based on my numerous observations are that most people that I see with huge sized Android phones are people who probably can not afford a large tablet, and their huge phone is therefore a compromise device. I think that some people, especially younger people, use their phone as their main device. They have no larger tablet at home. They don't even have a computer. Their phone is their computer.

As for Apple making a 5.8" phone? At this rate, why not just convert an iPad Mini into a phone? That shouldn't be too hard.

Why hold a 5.8" phone up to your head to make a phone call, when you can be holding an awesome 7.9" phone up to your head? There are numerous advantages to this. For starters, the 7.9" phone can be used to conceal your entire head, and not even an expert lip reader will be able to figure out what you are saying when making a phone call.

For the real daring people out there. They can always go with the iPad Pro sized phone. That is obviously the ultimate phablet phone.
    For a nice pocket choice you could check out the Railriders VersaTac line of pants, They've got an accessory front pocket that fits my cased iPhone 6sPlus like it was made for it.

ETA: Add me to the list as being okay with the larger screen, but notsomuch a larger phone.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 20 of 48
    buckkalubuckkalu Posts: 29member
    melgross said:
    I can argue with the premise of this article. I have my 6+ in front of me. We see that Samsung can make a phone with an OLED display that nearly is edge to edge. That is pretty much the entire front of the glass, and up to the metal sides of the phone. We know that they can also make displays that wrap around.

if Apple made that mythical phone with an edge to edge display that we've been talking about for years now, that reached out to that metal edge, the display, on my phone would be 5.74" diagonal. Yes, it would cut into the bottom shelf, and the top shelf, but not by much.

Apple has been criticized for having such a large top shelf. Since other manufacturers don't have that, I wonder if Apple does it just to have a symmetrical appearance to the phone.  We shouldn't be surprised if that were the case. But if they decided to make this larger display, which is not, hugely bigger, despite what the article states, they could do it without making the phone much larger. Maybe a millimeter wider, perhaps. Not really noticeable. I don't have large hands, and I thought this phone would be too large, but it really isn't. You get used to the size very quickly. Now, the 4.7" model feels too small. My daughter, whose hands are smaller than mine, finds the phone to be just fine in size, and I'm sure the tens of millions who have bought it feel the same way, though there will always be a few who will disagree.

there is no technical reason why Apple can't make this phone with a slightly larger display. In addition, will Apple continue making a 1920 X 1080 display for their top phone? All the indications say no. Developers have been told for years now to follow Apple's guidelines, and not make a fixed resolution UI. It's very likely that if they do go to OLED, the display will be the same resolution as the Samsung, or similar. We do know that in order to get high brightness, OLED manufacturers are resorting to special designs. Samsung uses their proprietary Pentile format, which is RGGB rather than the RGB of an LCD. That causes the display to be coarser than an LCD at the same resolution by about 30%. So a resolution around 30% greater is needed. And that's what we see. Some other manufacturers are using RGBW displays to give higher brightness, and that also leads to coarser displays, and a washed out saturation. It needs to be pointed out that most camera sensors are also RGGB. That gives a lower sharpness when convoluted than an RGB sensor would, but it's used to give greater brightness and detail in the green,where we are most sensitive.

so if Apple does go to an OLED, particularly if they move mainly to Samsung, they may use that Pentile display. Since the 1440 display does give a slightly greater appearance of sharpness than the 1080 display Apple uses now, it's entirely possible that Apple will make a slightly larger display. Dismissing that out of hand is wrong, and shows little understanding of the technologies and design choices Apple has before it.
    I agree, I would love a bigger screen, with my 6+ I use my iPad 3 less and less for general social media and internet use.  Bring it on.  And as you noted, the large size is very easy to get used to and I have average hands.