ExxonMobil launches Apple Pay at the pump at 6,000 stations, only through in-app purchase

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member

Dinosaur.
    A dinosaur who saves money over credit card users at the pump. 
    Oooooo, so clever! /s
  • Reply 42 of 62
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

icoco3 said:
    Quite a hostile comment.  Stick to the issue and don't lower yourself to personal attacks.
    Not hostile at all. Call it pragmatic.

You obviously are clueless about business sense.
    Regardless, my initial comment only pointed out a feature touted during the announcement.  I never discounted customer data that could be used to better target ones services, of which I am well aware.

Maybe I should have added the fact it provides security against data breaks and the theft of credit card and personal information.  Yet another feature of the anonymity one gets with an ApplePay transaction.
    edited March 2016 Anilostkiwi
  • Reply 43 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Cash only.
    Dinosaur.
    Anonymous Dinosaur.

Ireland has had a more advanced banking and payments system than the US for many years, but ironically, I pay with cash wherever possible, since my bank decided to start charging fees for every electronic transaction.  So now I just make occasional maximum cash limit withdrawals from an ATM and use the financial transactions technology from several millennia ago, while my state of the art NFC cards wait in vain for electromagnetic fields to give them purpose in life.
  • Reply 44 of 62

cali said:
    Apple nees to regulate this sh**. Tap to pay should be required for all brick and mortar stores/terminals. An optional app is ok.

Although not the way I want to pay, it's a start. Good thing is I've started to see signs go up at places advertising that they accept Apple/Android Pay. 

I don't like those at all. This is why I wanted Apple to subsidize terminals. Seeing the droid next to Apple Pay makes it look like it's "just as good". I don't wanna see the copycat anywhere near the thing, it was Apple who opened the door to have both logos on terminals and if they start adding other logos like SammyPay these signs and terminals are gonna look cluttered and ugly when it should only be Apple on there. No piggyback rides for the losers who mock Apple.
    Yet another person I'm glad doesn't work for Apple.

Apple Pay will flourish on its own merits without subsidies.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    If only we had a credit card thin device that never ran out of battery and worked at every fuel pump and store on earth that has a credit card slot.

icoco3cnocbuipalomine
  • Reply 46 of 62
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    That defeats the purpose of Apple Pay, Stupid Exxon. Who the fuck wants to unlock the phone, load the app and then pay ? Utterly dumb!
    redraider11bancho
  • Reply 47 of 62
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    fallenjt said:
    That defeats the purpose of Apple Pay, Stupid Exxon. Who the fuck wants to unlock the phone, load the app and then pay ? Utterly dumb!
    You know who who's this exact same method and generates more than all others? Starbucks. They've proven that people can and will do this. 
  • Reply 48 of 62
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    cali said:
    Apple nees to regulate this sh**. Tap to pay should be required for all brick and mortar stores/terminals. An optional app is ok.

Although not the way I want to pay, it's a start. Good thing is I've started to see signs go up at places advertising that they accept Apple/Android Pay. 

I don't like those at all. This is why I wanted Apple to subsidize terminals. Seeing the droid next to Apple Pay makes it look like it's "just as good". I don't wanna see the copycat anywhere near the thing, it was Apple who opened the door to have both logos on terminals and if they start adding other logos like SammyPay these signs and terminals are gonna look cluttered and ugly when it should only be Apple on there. No piggyback rides for the losers who mock Apple.
    It's up to the merchant if they want to accept cash only, or other forms of payment. Apple can not "regulate" this or require anything from the merchant.

Also seeing the Android Pay logo next to the Apple Pay logo causes you that much strife?

I can't imagine what happens when you see the VISA, Master Card, Discover, AmEX, and Diners Club logo's all lined up at the point of sale. That must be infuriating for you.
    Ani
  • Reply 49 of 62
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Not going to use my Apple Pay for that. Exxon complicates the process. We should ENVER tolerate their hassles out of us. 

I want to be able to tap and that's done. Don't make me download the app. Open the app, look for the button and then pay. It's a waste of my time and space. 

• Reply 50 of 62
    @LoneStar88 ; It's not smart on Apple's though letting them do it this way. It's confusing to the consumer where 99% of transactions with Apple Pay at a retailer are tap and pay, but at Exxon you need to jump through hoops. Glad you love it, but really you're just annoying everyone here because you won't concede that this method doesn't make a lot of people happy. You must work for Exxon or something the way you won't say one bad thing about how this works. 
    edited March 2016 Anilostkiwipalomine
  • Reply 51 of 62

Dinosaur.
    With so many credit cards offering cash back and rewards points I doubt you're saving that much money over credit card users. But to each his own. Getting gas is already an errand, I don't need to double the amount of work and time having to go and get cash before filling up. Not really worth the savings IMO. Plus I fill up at Costco whom only accepts credit cards and their gas is already cheaper than everyone else's. 
    palomine
  • Reply 52 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    linkman said:

But I thought ExxonMobil already had NFC in their pumps. Can someone explain?
    Yep. Looks like they want you to use the app for some reason.  Probably because they can track you like they do with their own Speedpass.

The actual Speedpass even works inside the convenience store as well. I wonder if the app works in the store.

Personally I don't use Exxon. I used to use Mobil but when they merged I stopped using them. Southern California closed all the  Exxon stations back in the 90s. I was boycotting them anyway due to the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 53 of 62
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Omgahd. 

It's infuriating when reading "this is an elegant solution."  Geezus, these people are proving they don't grasp the intent of Apple Pay. It's as if they'd be happy if you had to spin around in a circle three times before paying with Apple Pay, as long as you're paying with Apple Pay, because the whole point is paying with Apple Pay no matter what and how.

However:
    Apple Pay customer benefits:
    1) More convenient
    2) More security/privacy

If it's more steps than using a credit card, then you've defeated half the reason Apple Pay was invented.
    Getting into an app, pointing the camera at a bar code somewhere on the pump station, entering the pump number.... really? I don't think anyone can effectively argue all this is more elegant than holding your phone over a reader with your thumb on Touch ID. 

The peole that will ineffectively argue this app's elegance are ignorant to the reason why Apple Pay was invented. 
    linkmanAnilostkiwi
  • Reply 54 of 62
    onlyhope said:
    rocketman said:
    You misunderstood LoneStar88. In general, Exxon charges more for the various grades of gas and diesel than other operators, especially in Texas. Since Exxon now has an in-app capability for Apple Pay, I'm not going to pay more to fill up my tank just so I can use Apple Pay to complete the transaction. Also, I won't use Apple Pay just so Exxon can benefit more than another operator who charges 3, 5, or 10 cents less per gallon.
    Maybe that is the case in Texas but I travel a lot and I haven't found that to be the case elsewhere. The GasBuddy App will provide the compares.
    You make a valid argument. Gas/diesel prices and comparisons aren't necessarily consistent across the states.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    xmhillx said:
    Omgahd. 

It's infuriating when reading "this is an elegant solution."  Geezus, these people are proving they don't grasp the intent of Apple Pay. It's as if they'd be happy if you had to spin around in a circle three times before paying with Apple Pay, as long as you're paying with Apple Pay, because the whole point is paying with Apple Pay no matter what and how.

However:
    1) More convenient
    2) More security/privacy

If it's more steps than using a credit card, then you've defeated half the reason Apple Pay was invented.
    Getting into an app, pointing the camera at a bar code somewhere on the pump station, entering the pump number.... really? I don't think anyone can effectively argue all this is more elegant than holding your phone over a reader with your thumb on Touch ID. 

The peole that will ineffectively argue this app's elegance are ignorant to the reason why Apple Pay was invented. 
    Quit complaining.

• Reply 56 of 62
    icoco3 said:
    Part of using ApplePay was the anonymity of the payment.  Now, they get to track who made the payment.

What's the betting that in some places these will still:-
    - refuse the transaction if the credit card is out of state
    - demand an in-state Zip code be entered.
    - still require two trips into the Gas Station proper in order to certify the transaction

Yet in the rest of the world... things just work without all this faffing about.

icoco3
  • Reply 57 of 62
    AniAni Posts: 5member
    ... and it ultimately benefits you as E/M can learn better which stations get the business so that they can pay more attention to those, and they can better determine where to put new stations.
    As if E/M doesn't already know how much revenue they make with every station and product. That's a funny claim. I also don't see how the users would benefit from this, even if it meant that E/M didn't know before. The process is awkward and undermines the benefits of Apple Pay.

Someone wrote earlier "the epitome of a non customer-first, Microsoft-esque solution" and I fully agree.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    xmhillx said:
    Omgahd. 

However:
    1) More convenient
    2) More security/privacy

Quit complaining.

Wuuuut?

No rebuttal? That's it? No counter points, no differing argument, no informative insight?

Don't get me wrong. Everyone's entitled to an opinion or a comment. Albeit one with no added value to an argument.

It's kool. I can do it too, watch.
    "Quit complaining about my complaining"
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 59 of 62

Dinosaur.
    How do you save money over credit card users at the pump?

I've used credit cards for 12 years. I pay everything I can with a credit card, and pay in full every month. Builds credit, and I accumulate on average a $350 cash reward at the end of the year. It's a visa preferred rewards, 1% all charges, 2% groceries, 3% gasoline cash back.

Am I missing something by not paying with cash?
  • Reply 60 of 62
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    icoco3 said:
    Part of using ApplePay was the anonymity of the payment.  Now, they get to track who made the payment.

Bingo! That is exactly what they want. FAIL