Black Lives Matter activists say FBI fight to break iPhone encryption threatens civil liberties

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
In a recently submitted friend of the court filing, activists supporting the Black Lives Matter and other civil rights movement causes argue Apple's ongoing encryption duel with the FBI has serious free speech implications.

The open letter to Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym, posted to Apple's website, warns of the negative repercussions that could arise from a U.S. government effort to force Apple's aid in unlocking an iPhone used by San Bernardino terror suspect Syed Rizwan Farook. As argued by Apple, the creation of a passcode workaround ultimately weakens digital protections built into iOS, an ecosystem currently used by millions of users worldwide.

"No party should wield the power to force private companies to weaken the security of all in order to investigate a few," the letter reads.

The amicus brief was written last week and signed by Beats, Rhymes & Relief, the Center for Media Justice, The Gathering for Justice and the Justice League NYC. Individual signatories include New York Daily News Senior Justice Writer Shaun King and Opal Tometi, co-founder of Black Lives Matter and Director of Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI).

Judge Pym in February issued an order compelling Apple to assist the FBI in its ongoing San Bernardino attack investigation. The Department of Justice request requires Apple to build and deploy a flawed version of iOS that can be used to break into Farook's passcode-protected iPhone.

Those in agreement with the government say perceived threats to national security trump consumer data protections, but the rights advocates offer a counter argument in their letter, citing a history of past abuse.

"As Rev. Jesse Jackson recalled last week, one need only look to the days of J. Edgar Hoover and wiretapping of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. to recognize the FBI has not always respected the right to privacy for groups it did not agree with," the group says.

In particular, the FBI's politically-fueled COINTELPRO initiative, created in the 1950s to ferret out Communist sympathizers and later broadened to cover other deemed-derisive social movements, directly violated First Amendment rights. The effects of that program reverberate across the years to today, as civil rights advocates who were once unlawfully surveilled warn that the same missteps can be made in the digital age.

"The FBI's historically questionable surveillance procedures do not bode well for setting a precedent that allows the agency universal access to private smartphone data," the group writes.

The letter takes specific aim at the FBI, as the agency is leading the charge to enlist Apple's help not only in the San Bernardino case, but multiple investigations nationwide. Perhaps more troublesome is that the government's legal strategy hinges on the All Writs Act of 1789, a statute granting federal courts sweeping authority to issue orders if no other judicial instruments are available. Precedent might be set if Apple loses the encryption fight, opening the door to wider application of AWA and stripping the public of modern digital protections.

Last week, United Nations free speech watchdog David Kaye filed a similar brief in support of Apple, saying, "Secure communications are fundamental to the exercise of freedom of opinion and expression in the digital age, permitting the maintenance of opinions without interference and securing the right to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas."
brakkenrob53

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    I totally abhor the police brutality we have recently seen evidenced upon black folks both innocent and possibly guilty. Much of the violence, injury and death has been uncalled for based on videos I've seen. 

But I wish the BLM movement would transition their story to an All Lives Matter message. 

While I wasn't pleased with their appearance in front of the Apple Store in NY when Apple supporters came out against the FBI, thinking then that BLM was just trying to co-opt a photo opportunity, I'm glad that they filed their amicus brief in support of Apple. 
    moreckbaconstangjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't care for this blatantly racist group, and of course the Bill of Rights applies to all Americans. The FBIs demands are obviously a violation of several of our constitutionally protected rights.
    monstrositystaticx57icoco3jbdragonbuzdotstallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 39
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member
    "No party should wield the power to force private companies to weaken the security of all in order to investigate a few..."

Nicely put. The logic is so obvious you'd think the FBI would be more intelligent and stop acting so damn aggressively to defend a thoroughly myopic and self-serving political agenda. I don't want to be trite, but it reminds me of that famous line spoken by Mr. Spock in Star Trek - "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." In other words, Democracy.

One sad result of FBI director James Comey's grandstanding - most likely just to lobby for more cyber-crime funding from Congress - is that many people will have a lot less respect for the FBI when all this is said and done. 
    edited March 2016 aaronjmoreckbaconstangicoco3jbdragonbuzdotsmaccadrob53
  • Reply 4 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Great, BLM is involved. Thanks but no thanks. 
    monstrosityentropysicoco3jbdragontallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 39
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    And they're 100% correct.

Good for them.
    moreckmessagepad2100
  • Reply 6 of 39
    The Justice League NYC?? That's a punchline waiting to happen!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Have we heard back from the KKK yet, and gotten their take on this whole encryption matter?

Do BLM supporters care about civil liberties all of a sudden? What about the marine veteran who was viciously attacked, assaulted and robbed by black lies matter supporters recently? What about his civil liberties? And just for the record, I don't support the KKK and I don't support Black Lies Matter either. Two different sides of the same coin. They're both trash.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/23/arrest-made-of-black-lives-matter-thugs-who-robbed-and-beat-marine-veteran/

And the one person mentioned in the article (Shaun King) seems to be a male Rachel Dolezal, in other words, a fake black person.

edited March 2016 monstrosityicoco3jbdragontallest skil
  • Reply 8 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Black lives matter.  All lives matter too, but saying that as if its a relevant point is like shouting that testicular cancer matters too at a breast cancer awareness event.  Total dick move.
    aaronjronnjbdragonpaxmaniosenthusiastdasanman69
  • Reply 9 of 39
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    crowley said:
    Black lives matter.  All lives matter too, but saying that as if its a relevant point is like shouting that testicular cancer matters too at a breast cancer awareness event.  Total dick move.
    Maybe it escaped your attention that this is not a black lives matter awareness event. 

I agree with this group on this issue, they made the point well.  

Funny that Shaun King, the faux bro, is still able to insert himself in that movement. 

• Reply 10 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    williamh said:
    crowley said:
    Maybe it escaped your attention that this is not a black lives matter awareness event. 
    It did not and I never claimed it was.
    maccaddasanman69
  • Reply 11 of 39
    They also think Michael Brown was an angel who could do no wrong so...
    icoco3tallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 39
    fsfs Posts: 2member
    fire comey call it a day. he not fit to run the fbi.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    fs said:
    fire comey call it a day. he not fit to run the fbi.
    Fire Comey's negligent boss.
    buzdots
  • Reply 14 of 39
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I totally abhor the police brutality we have recently seen evidenced upon black folks both innocent and possibly guilty. Much of the violence, injury and death has been uncalled for based on videos I've seen. 

But I wish the BLM movement would transition their story to an All Lives Matter message. 

While I wasn't pleased with their appearance in front of the Apple Store in NY when Apple supporters came out against the FBI, thinking then that BLM was just trying to co-opt a photo opportunity, I'm glad that they filed their amicus brief in support of Apple. 
    That's the problem. Making race still a issue. Black Lives Matter! So White, Asian and other races don't? That's also one of the issues I have with BET. (Black Entertainment TV). Everyone would be up in arms if there was a WET (White Entertainment TV) Or White Lives Matter!!! Instead of bringing everyone together, it just continues racism!!! As MLK Jr. said, "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." THAT is what I believe in. Where I work, I'm the minority. In fact these days white is now a minority in California!
    buzdotsSpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 39
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    jbdragon said:

That's the problem. Making race still a issue. Black Lives Matter! So White, Asian and other races don't? That's also one of the issues I have with BET. (Black Entertainment TV). Everyone would be up in arms if there was a WET (White Entertainment TV) Or White Lives Matter!!! Instead of bringing everyone together, it just continues racism!!! As MLK Jr. said, "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." THAT is what I believe in. Where I work, I'm the minority. In fact these days white is now a minority in California!

"There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs-partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs."  Booker T. Washington 1911

• Reply 16 of 39
    bulldogsbulldogs Posts: 37member
    Hmmm. I have always felt that Google missed a major opportunity by failing to promote Android and ChromeOS as more populist platforms in contrast to the more elitist Apple. Looking at this thread - and pretty much any thread on this site where (gasp!) black people are mentioned - I am ever more convinced that I was correct.
  • Reply 17 of 39

But currently.  Black Lives Don't Matter, as evidenced by policing and politics.

Black Lives Matter means that Black Lives Matter, too - not just the privileged gated community lives.
    ronn
  • Reply 18 of 39
    apple ][ said:
    Have we heard back from the KKK yet, and gotten their take on this whole encryption matter?

Do BLM supporters care about civil liberties all of a sudden? What about the marine veteran who was viciously attacked, assaulted and robbed by black lies matter supporters recently? What about his civil liberties? And just for the record, I don't support the KKK and I don't support Black Lies Matter either. Two different sides of the same coin. They're both trash.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/23/arrest-made-of-black-lives-matter-thugs-who-robbed-and-beat-marine-veteran/

And the one person mentioned in the article (Shaun King) seems to be a male Rachel Dolezal, in other words, a fake black person.

There's a huge history regarding surveillance of black activists.  Every heard of MLK and the FBI?

Also, you forget the whole GOP strategy regarding minorities - The Southern Strategy:

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

And nowadays:

Thomas Edge argues that the election of President Barack Obama saw a new type of Southern strategy emerge among conservative voters, and that his election is utilized as evidence of a post-racial era to deny the need of continued civil rights legislation, while simultaneously playing on racial tensions and marking him as a "racial bogeyman".[82] Edge described three parts to this phenomenon saying:

"First, according to the arguments, a nation that has the ability to elect a Black president is completely free of racism. Second, attempts to continue the remedies enacted after the civil rights movement will only result in more racial discord, demagoguery, and racism against White Americans. Third, these tactics are used side-by-side with the veiled racism and coded language of the original Southern Strategy."[82]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

That's why we now have Trump.
    edited March 2016 ronn
  • Reply 19 of 39
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    The Constitution allows searches with a warrant. The main discussion is that US law may not support the FBI request. If the FBI is allowed to wiretap a person's phone and put listening devices in their house with a warrant, what's the difference in getting access to their smart phone?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    spacekid said:
    The Constitution allows searches with a warrant. The main discussion is that US law may not support the FBI request. If the FBI is allowed to wiretap a person's phone and put listening devices in their house with a warrant, what's the difference in getting access to their smart phone?
    They want ALL-ACCESS.  Thats the problem.  They don't want to go through the warrant process.  The proposed backdoor is serious risk for:
    • Hackers: Many who are far more talented than our government, would love to pick hack that backdoor, and will be successful.  Remember the 10 year silent hack of Nortel?  The severity of this was underplayed
    • Abuse of power: Eric Snowden testified about seeing employees digging through data of their peers and significant others.  These employees are human in various lifestyles and personal issues.  Temptation is strong when there's nobody watching the watcher.
    ronn