'iPhone 7,' 'iPhone SE' case photos proliferate from China based on alleged Apple designs

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Case makers are betting they already know the design of Apple's impending 4-inch iPhone, as well as its next-generation "iPhone 7," with a multitude of protective accessories available to purchase from China.

On the heels of an "iPhone 7" case that made the rounds earlier Wednesday, a number of other options seemingly based on the same design surfaced online, as noted by Macotakara. Like other case leaks, they appear to show a dual-speaker setup on the bottom of the handset, seemingly replacing the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack.

Also making the rounds are cases claimed to be for Apple's new 4-inch "iPhone SE." They suggest that Apple will keep the lock button atop the handset, instead of moving it to the right side as it is on larger iPhones.

Unlike with the "iPhone 7" cases that have been appearing, the "iPhone SE" cases suggest the device will retain the headphone jack at the bottom of the unit.

Once again, the "iPhone 7" camera cutouts are larger than usual, though it's unknown whether that was simply an aesthetic choice for the case maker, or is indicative of a larger sensor in the schematics the cases are presumably based on.

Cases for the "iPhone SE," also known as the "iPhone 6c," have been floating around since January. But their presence has increased as Apple is expected to announce its new 4-inch model at a media event the week of March 21.

Those interested in the "iPhone 7" and its larger "iPhone 7 Plus" will have to wait a bit longer, however --?they aren't expected to be announced until September. Aside from a new design, the lineup is expected to feature an improved camera sensor without the rear bump, a new A10 processor, and new Lightning-connected EarPods bundled in the box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wonder how much the lightning to regular headphone jack adapter is going to cost?  :#

Why go lightning in the first place? Why not just go with wireless headphones?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kmareikmarei Posts: 178member
    god i hope the keep the lock button on the top on the SE
    i hate the button on the right side, like it is on the 6 and 6S
    because half the time i am trying to change the volume on my 6S,  i mistakenly press the lock button
    there was nothing wrong with it on the top
    now its like all the android crap
  • Reply 3 of 14
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    To me it seems Apple is improving internals on the 5s and 6s without reinventing the chassis. It looks like it's because there are major changes for all models  due across the board for the 2017 and needed more time to do so this year than previous years. Which could be a good thing. God knows the 6 series needed more time to conceive based on the resulting series.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 4 of 14
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder how much the lightning to regular headphone jack adapter is going to cost?  :#

So that people with wired headphones can still use them if they want to.

I prefer wireless, but I can afford to get what I prefer.  Some people want to use what they already have.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

kmarei said:
    because half the time i am trying to change the volume on my 6S,  i mistakenly press the lock button
    I agree 100%.  There is no use case I have in which the current location is any more convenient than the original.  I still have to change my grip in order to provide leverage against the other side, and most of the time I'm hitting both the power and volume buttons (as you described).

They should have left the power button on top.  I may have to change my grip a little, but at least there's no button on the opposite side where I also have to put pressure.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    thompr said:
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder how much the lightning to regular headphone jack adapter is going to cost? 

So that people with wired headphones can still use them if they want to.

I prefer wireless, but I can afford to get what I prefer.  Some people want to use what they already have.
    I didn't mean that the lightning port should be removed completely. I suppose that it's still needed to charge the phone and to connect various accessories to the phone and to connect the phone to computers.

What I was trying to say was why doesn't Apple make bluetooth EarPods, instead of making lightning EarPods, that come free with the phone. Is it because of cost, and lightning is cheaper than bluetooth? I'm not sure.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sog35 said:
    The iPhone6 leaks came out at the end of Feb 2014.

I'm pretty surprised we have not seen anything solid on iPhone7 yet.

This was a leak photo from Feb 2014

Wonder why no leaks for iPhone7 yet?

So you're saying the annual iPhone leak is past due? Email Tim and tell him his crappy supply chain needs to leak iPhone photos on schedule. /s
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    thompr said:

kmarei said:
    I agree 100%.  There is no use case I have in which the current location is any more convenient than the original.  I still have to change my grip in order to provide leverage against the other side, and most of the time I'm hitting both the power and volume buttons (as you described).

They should have left the power button on top.  I may have to change my grip a little, but at least there's no button on the opposite side where I also have to put pressure.
    Yup. On my iPhone 6+, I constantly end up accidentally turning my phone off (or at least asleep) when I'm trying use the volume buttons to operate the camera. Very bad ergonomic design.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    Another plus for the power button being in the wrong place on the 6 from me. constantly pressing the power when adjusting volume.
    and 76 others
    VisualSeed
  • Reply 10 of 14
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    sog35 said:

Pretty sure this isn't a leak, rather it's a fake based on rumors at the time.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sog35 said:

This one wasn't a leak. It was a render from a well known blogger. The thumbnail you're using is (purposefully?) too small, but plenty of us remember it. The almost nonexistent side bezels, chamfered edges and bottom elements weren't there in the final model. That said, I do hope the iPhone 7 does away with side/vertical bezels to reduce to overall device footprint.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    bsenka said:
    thompr said:

Yup. On my iPhone 6+, I constantly end up accidentally turning my phone off (or at least asleep) when I'm trying use the volume buttons to operate the camera. Very bad ergonomic design.
    Haha. Me too. On the other hand I couldn't reach the power button on top, not without shifting the phone lower in my hand. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    sog35 said:

With so much talk recently of new suppliers in the supply chain, I suspect it's possible that the company with the mole facilitating the leaks may not be point on the new phones anymore.