Apple, FBI battle a wedge issue for American voters, poll shows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I wonder how the results would change if it stated:
    1. Apple has provided the last backup of said iPhone to the FBI, albeit its from 6 weeks prior to the attack. 
    2. The FBI ordered the Apple ID password changed and thus preventing an updated backup from being created. 
    3. Any contacts from calls and SMS were provided by the cell phone company
    4. It is not the user's primary phone. They were destroyed. 

spinnyd
  • Reply 22 of 29
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    focher said:
    I'm not aware of anyone ever making the claim that Obama and his administration have been any better about civil liberties vs the surveillance state that started under Bush. He has, in many ways, expanded it (while also restricting other aspects). Agreed that he doesn't have clean hands on the subject.

However...

To equate Republicans and Democrats on this topic is rather disingenuous. There are obviously people from all political views who both agree and disagree with the two viewpoints in this situation. But from a statistical view, it's not balanced and actually is skewed the opposite direction as you insinuate. According to the NBC/WSJ poll released today, the following stats come out:

"Republicans favored the government’s position 57% to 37%, while Democrats sided with Apple 50% to 40%. Strongest support for Apple was among independent voters, who back Apple by a 2-to-1 ratio, at 58% to 28%." - 9to5Mac

This is exactly the type of issue where people from different political leanings can appreciate common ground.
    There are quite a few vociferous Obama defenders here and I suspect some will appear soon to blindly defend him from this article.
    If you can disagree with a major issue in your political party like abortion or gun control than you have a mind of your own however if you believe every major issue than you have been fed and are a sheep. 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    "When asked if Apple should cooperate with the FBI's request…"

Should read: "when asked if Apple should cooperate MORE THAN THEY HAVE with the FBI request...
    tallest skilai46
  • Reply 24 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    isidore said:
    Yes but this isn't an exclusively US issue and the real problem is how other countries would exploit a back door that the Feds insisted that Apple create. You don't think that if this happened in the US it would not then be used in every other country with an aggressively nosey government?
    I have to disagree, what happens in the rest of the world isn't my concern. Bad governments will continue to exist. The real problem is right here in the USA where we run the real risk of loosing all of the Bill of Rights as this administration chips away at various pieces of that document. Here is the reality, right now at this point in time, there isn't a country on earth with the domestic security structure in place that we see here in the USA. It would only take a few moments for those institutions to go from benign to oppressive. People should be absolutely hostile considering what is being requested by the FBI. Here is how we loose the war between good an evil, it happens when we turn our security infrastructure upon ourselves instead of killing the enemy.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    focher said:
    I'm not aware of anyone ever making the claim that Obama and his administration have been any better about civil liberties vs the surveillance state that started under Bush. He has, in many ways, expanded it (while also restricting other aspects). Agreed that he doesn't have clean hands on the subject.

However...

To equate Republicans and Democrats on this topic is rather disingenuous. There are obviously people from all political views who both agree and disagree with the two viewpoints in this situation. But from a statistical view, it's not balanced and actually is skewed the opposite direction as you insinuate. According to the NBC/WSJ poll released today, the following stats come out:

"Republicans favored the government’s position 57% to 37%, while Democrats sided with Apple 50% to 40%. Strongest support for Apple was among independent voters, who back Apple by a 2-to-1 ratio, at 58% to 28%." - 9to5Mac

This is exactly the type of issue where people from different political leanings can appreciate common ground.
    As for the Obama administration one would have to be willfully blind to not see his complete disregard for the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. The fact that some see this as humorous is why I really have no respect at all for people that vote for Democrates blindly. As for those numbers you have I think it clearly shows all people are split on this issue. I honestly believe that those that are siding with the government simply don't understand what is at risk here.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    focher said:

However...

There are quite a few vociferous Obama defenders here and I suspect some will appear soon to blindly defend him from this article.

Sad isn't it. The big problem I see here is that we really don't have a candidate anywhere near the winners circle that even understands the issue. I actually believe Clinton is a worst human being than Obama so that is no good, Sanders is a flake and Trump has already sided with the government. So me as a regular voter has to say "what the hell" yet again.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    rob53 said:
    I'll start. You do realize that the President of the US has become a figurehead but has their hands tied by Congress and other government agencies most of the time. The majority of the US government are civil servants not hired by the President. Obama can only speak about things, he doesn't have the power to change most things, including how stupid people in the FBI are. I talked to my hard-lined Republican in-laws about this and had to explain exactly what's going on. Initially they sided with the FBI because they are pulled into the terrorism thing hook, line and sinker. When I told them what was going on, they began to understand and sided with Apple. They don't like big government any more than other Republicans do (except when it benefits them) but also don't appreciate the government spying on its citizens. 

Can Obama do something for the people in this instance? Hell yes! Will he? Probably not because he's trying to get Congress to allow him to appoint a replacement to the US Supreme Court so he's weighing his options. Does Washington DC need some slapping around, a ton of firing, and a whole lot of restructuring? Second hell yes! Will that happen? Not in my lifetime. Our government's actions didn't start yesterday or when Obama became President, it started falling apart a long time ago.
    So you voted for a puppet. Democracy is a con?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 28 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    metrix said:
    If you can disagree with a major issue in your political party like abortion or gun control than you have a mind of your own however if you believe every major issue than you have been fed and are a sheep. 
    Or you can just coincidentally agree with all those positions, well, because they are legitimate positions to have; your argument for "sheepdom" (sic) is a fracking laugh riot, worthy of populists and demagogues...