Apple plans to 'loop you in' at March 21 event with expected new 4" iPhone, 9.7" iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Apple on Thursday officially sent out invitations for a March 21 media event, telling members of the press to "let us loop you in." The company is widely expected to announce a new 4-inch "iPhone SE" and a 9.7-inch "iPad Pro."

Apple's March 21 event invitation, via Re/code.

The invitation itself and its mention of the word "loop" will undoubtedly fuel speculation about what Apple has in store. But in all likelihood it's just a reference to the fact that the event will be held at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., corporate headquarters, at 1 Infinite Loop, starting at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

The main focus of Apple's presentation is expected to be a new, smaller iPhone that will take the place of the entry-level iPhone 5s. The device is said to sport metal-backed, curved-edge design similar to the current iPhone 6s with refreshed internals like an A9 processor and NFC support for Apple Pay. The rumored name is "iPhone SE."

Source: OnLeaks via Twitter

Leaked schematics and cases further indicate the new iPhone model will feature an aesthetic similar to the company's existing high-end iPhones, a design that debuted in 2014 with the iPhone 6.

Also expected at the March 21 event is a revamped 9.7-inch iPad. While reports had previously referred to such a device as an "iPad Air 3," the latest scuttlebutt suggests Apple might rebrand it with the iPad Pro moniker found on the 12.9-inch model.

Distinguishing the new 9.7-inch model as professional grade would be the same beefed-up A9X processor, the magnetic Smart Connector, and a four-speaker array.

Both the new 9.7-inch iPad and 4-inch iPhone are expected to go on sale and get into the hands of consumers shortly after Apple's March 21 event.

Apple's presentation is also expected to mark the debut new bands debut for the wearable Apple Watch. The company also has new MacBooks in the works that could launch at such a media event, as Apple's notebooks are due for upgrades to Intel's latest processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    Bringing back the wrist loops from the iPod touch to the new iPhone???
    calijony0argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Continuing their time-honored tradition of ignoring grammar conventions, I see.

“Let us bring you in the loop” would be better, but that would imply a visit to the new campus.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 3 of 77
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    aar123mcl said:
    Doubtful, but too bad, those things were totes adorbs

I'm ready to trade up to a new 15" MBP and the current models are crazy long in the tooth, but somehow it just doesn’t feel like now is the time
    cash907censoredcaliargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Says on the website you can stream it live with the ATV4. Wonder if that's an indicator that they're bringing the Events app to the App Store? Hope so, I liked that app.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    New computers would be really, really nice!
    staticx57tallest skilcash907censored6Sgoldfishargonaut
  • Reply 6 of 77
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    something tells me calling it "ipad pro" means it will cost more than the standard $499 starting price of the previous ipads
    trying to increase the average selling price of ipads, since sales are down?
    i sure hope i am wrong
    i have used the ipad pro, and its about effing time we have stereo speakers on the ipad!
    and this would probably be the one feature that would make me consider getting the new one
    well that and a 4K screen :)
    but seeing how stingy apple is with upgrades
    i don't expect that for another 2 generations

cash907censored6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 7 of 77
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    macapfel said:
    New computers would be really, really nice!
    My thoughts exactly. I have an iPad Air 2 and not really excited about pencil support. But I would love to see an updated 15" MBP perhaps a new design.
    6Sgoldfishargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 77
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    There is nothing Apple I need. I already bought everything they make.
    edited March 2016 oneof52slprescotttallest skilanantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Apple bringing LoopPay to their new iPhone.  ;)
    ration alstompy
  • Reply 10 of 77
    Eric_WVGG said:
    aar123mcl said:
    Doubtful, but too bad, those things were totes adorbs

I'm ready to trade up to a new 15" MBP and the current models are crazy long in the tooth, but somehow it just doesn’t feel like now is the time
    Same here. Want to get a new MacBook Pro to replace my Air, but I'd rather not go with a current model when newer ones are long overdue. Probably have to wait though. Can't flood the pipe with all new stuff in March. Probably have to wait until June or September. 
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 11 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Loop could refer to wireless charging.  Though that would be a stretch.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Continuing their time-honored tradition of ignoring grammar conventions, I see.

“Let us bring you in the loop” would be better, but that would imply a visit to the new campus.

To be to be grammatically correct, you'd use the word 'into' rather then just 'in.'
    tallest skillollivercalianantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 77
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    New Apple Watch?
  • Reply 14 of 77
    I need an iPhone 6 Plus S Sock. You know the right kind... The iPhone 6 Plus S is the right size. It can be filled full of rocks and then use it to hit executives over the head whilst asking "So what were you really thinking?!
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 77
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    I guess "rope you in" didn't sound as appealing, at least from the consumer survey data they don't gather.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    Says on the website you can stream it live with the ATV4. Wonder if that's an indicator that they're bringing the Events app to the App Store? Hope so, I liked that app.
    They "app" comes in and disappears a few weeks after each event. Not sure why they don't just leave it up there. I streamed events previously on my AT3. 
  • Reply 17 of 77
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Lopp you in means new watch bands. The colors are the colors of the new 4" iPhone. 
  • Reply 18 of 77
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I noticed the design include all colors of current iPhones but there's a tangerine color added. I wonder if the new iPhone will offer that color?
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 19 of 77
    A new thunderbolt display would be more than welcome imltho (in my less than humble opinion)
    tallest skilargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 77
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Ready to pick up the new iPad, whatever it's called, and finally replace my iPad2.
    ai46mr ocash907censored