Apple plans to 'loop you in' at March 21 event with expected new 4" iPhone, 9.7" iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    fordee said:
    "Loop you in" is perfectly correct grammar.
    Absolutely. Not common but not erroneous.

I'd like to be looped in on where I can buy the next iteration of the MB, and ditto the MBA which I am hoping will see a more radical refresh. In fact I am looking forward to being looped in on all the latest laptop developments. In return I'll extract my CC from my wallet and come running. (Not figuratively, of course as I love getting UPS deliveries in the morning ;)
  • Reply 42 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You won't get a new Macbook Pro until the Polaris AMD discrete design GPUs for Apple are done and stamped out.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    volcan said:
    Going forward the FBI will be automatically added to your contacts and cannot be removed.
    The always on FBI app with permissions to your contacts, camera, microphone, GPS, calendar, reminders, HomeKit, and Health.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Looping of the sledgehammer cracking Samsung across the head.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I can tell you one thing. Based on that graphic, it will be available in slate grey, white, silver, gold and rose gold...
    volcananantksundaram
  • Reply 46 of 77
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    foggyhill said:
    Continuing their time-honored tradition of ignoring grammar conventions, I see.

“Let us bring you in the loop” would be better, but that would imply a visit to the new campus.

To be to be grammatically correct, you'd use the word 'into' rather then just 'in.'

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/loop-in

It's a phrasal verb, such a construction is used extensively

Let us Loop you in
    Let us strap you in
    Let us fasten you in
    Let us Buckle you in
    Let us clip you in
    Let us hook you in (this has also a double signification)

Obviously,, both the idiom "in the loop" and the phrasal verb "loop in",
    as a metaphor for physically being kept attached, fastened, to a project (looped to it) and being part of the communication flow (loop) about such project.

Publicity often use terse communication with parts of the sentence missing, or implied.

And yet, when put together, the sentence still should read 'Let us bring you into the loop.'  You know I'm correct.

It's correct to say, 'Are you in the loop?'  Or, 'Let me loop you in.'  But it's not correct to say, 'Let me bring you in the loop.' This says that you will bring me somewhere while I'm inside a loop, as though you're transporting the loop that I am inside.  That's not what you intend to say, is it?  This is why you need to use the word 'into.'

• Reply 47 of 77
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

“Let us bring you in the loop” would be better, but that would imply a visit to the new campus.

To be to be grammatically correct, you'd use the word 'into' rather then just 'in.'
    To be grammatically correct, you should have used the word "than" rather than "then".
    nolamacguyanantksundaram
  • Reply 48 of 77
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

And yet, when put together, the sentence still should read 'Let us bring you into the loop.'  You know I'm correct.

It's correct to say, 'Are you in the loop?'  Or, 'Let me loop you in.'  But it's not correct to say, 'Let me bring you in the loop.' This says that you will bring me somewhere while I'm inside a loop, as though you're transporting the loop that I am inside.  That's not what you intend to say, is it?  This is why you need to use the word 'into.'
     Apple said "Let us loop you in".  tallest skil said that Apple's wording was grammatically incorrect.  I disagree with his/her statement.  I'm not sure where your comments around "Let me bring you in/into the loop" are coming from.  However, in my opinion, both "let us bring you in the loop" and "let us bring you into the loop" are acceptable.  Old schoolers (like myself) will prefer the use of "into" for your example, but either is acceptable.  Look up "champing at the bit" versus "chomping at the bit".  Either form is acceptable, but it's CHAMPING dammit!!!!

Furthermore - OXFORD COMMA UNTIL I DIE!!!!

• Reply 49 of 77
    thompr said:

To be grammatically correct, you should have used the word "than" rather than "then".
    But I'm not the one to have complained that Apple wasn't being grammatically correct.  So the typos in my original response aren't really what's at issue here.   I'm responding via my iPhone, after all.  

The difference being, I'm trying to teach and you're happy to merely nitpick.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 50 of 77
    So do I list my Air 2 on eBay now, or wait to see how much they price the new one at first and risk a lower final sale price?
  • Reply 51 of 77
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    i seriously cannot fucking believe the absurdity of the grammar argument. it is beyond words.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 52 of 77
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    i seriously cannot fucking believe the absurdity of the grammar argument. it is beyond words.
    Right.  It's about the syntax. :p
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 53 of 77
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Considering it was right in the first place, and that I'm sure Apple has a few people in their ad department speaking proper English ;-) : it was absurd.

• Reply 54 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sog35 said:
    Just shows your ignorance.
    Yes, that’s what a literate person would get out of that post. Totally a valid reaction that someone intelligent would have.

nolamacguy said:
    ...the grammar argument. it is beyond words.
    10/10, chuckled.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 55 of 77
    foggyhill said:
    Considering it was right in the first place, and that I'm sure Apple has a few people in their ad department speaking proper English ;-) : it was absurd.

I was never arguing whether Apple's grammar is correct or incorrect.  I merely wished to point out to the poster who suggested it isn't correct that his remedy has some needless ambiguity.  

What does 'Let us bring you in the loop.' mean?

Let us transport the loop while you are inside?
    or 
    Let us put you into the loop?

'Let us bring you into the loop' is unambiguous as to what is being brought where, whereas the poster's use of in leaves that open to the reader to interpret.  For example, if you say to me, "let me bring you in the car," this suggests to me I'm to be transported somewhere via car.  I'm not likely to think I'm to be placed in the car.  Of course, this has its own issues, but we're talking about the implications of the word 'into' versus just 'in.'
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 56 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    foggyhill said:

I was never arguing whether Apple's grammar is correct or incorrect.  I merely wished to point out to the poster who suggested it isn't correct that his remedy has some needless ambiguity.  

What does 'Let us bring you in the loop.' mean?

Let us transport the loop while you are inside?
    or 
    Let us put you into the loop?

'Let us bring you into the loop' is unambiguous as to what is being brought where, whereas the poster's use of in leaves that open to the reader to interpret.  For example, if you say to me, "let me bring you in the car," this suggests to me I'm to be transported somewhere via car.  I'm not likely to think I'm to be placed in the car.  Of course, this has its own issues, but we're talking about the implications of the word 'into' versus just 'in.'
    Yeah, you are right. To bring someone in the loop literally means what you said - to transport them IN the loop :). I am not sure how grammatically correct it is but people do say "loop me in" meaning 'inform me' - in other words 'bring me into the loop'. 

Unless this is really the WWDC and they are talking code....?
  • Reply 57 of 77
    staticx57 said:
    macapfel said:
    New computers would be really, really nice!
    My thoughts exactly. I have an iPad Air 2 and not really excited about pencil support. But I would love to see an updated 15" MBP perhaps a new design.
    Well, have you played around with an Apple Pencil? If not, that's why you're not excited about it. 
  • Reply 58 of 77
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    kmarei said:
    something tells me calling it "ipad pro" means it will cost more than the standard $499 starting price of the previous ipads
    trying to increase the average selling price of ipads, since sales are down?
    i sure hope i am wrong
    i have used the ipad pro, and its about effing time we have stereo speakers on the ipad!
    and this would probably be the one feature that would make me consider getting the new one
    well that and a 4K screen :)
    but seeing how stingy apple is with upgrades
    i don't expect that for another 2 generations

Why in the world would you want a 4k screen on an iPad????????
    Not calling you a moron but this is similar to the fandroid morons who brag about having a 2k screen.

Anyways new AppleWatches. Pretty obvious guys....

• Reply 59 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    By the way, that graphic design on the invitation looks flesh colored, which is a little disturbing.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    I'm a huge Apple fan - the person most of my friends and neighbour's turn to for Apple advice and I love Apple products, but unlike previous years, I'm struggling to think what Apple could offer that would make me rush out to upgrade. 

I upgraded to the iPhone 4s as soon as I could to get Siri - which I still use 20+ times a day. I upgraded to a 5s for the fingerprint sensor and now the 6s for Force Touch and larger screen. Similarly, I've ordered every iPad as soon as it was available from the iPad 1 onwards. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD, Retina display, i7 and 16GB RAM and still smile every time I use it - it's a real joy to use. I have an Apple Watch too and using Find My iPhone shows an embarrassingly large number of Apple devices in our house as the whole family love them. 

The thing is, I'm really happy with what I've got... The MacBook Pro is fast enough for what I want. It never feels slow - I never wait for anything. Same with my iPad and iPhone. The resolution of the screens is easily as good as my eyes and battery life is fantastic on my MacBook, iPad and Watch - admittedly I'd like better battery life from my iPhone but it's not a big problem. 

I appreciate others want more power or better displays but I do expect sales to slow down as people stop upgrading so frequently. I have friends who upgraded to a 6s and have yet to discover Force Touch or use Siri, so we're really getting into more obscure features now that fewer people use.  

For me, it's the software that need improving. Siri could be so much better. It often gets the words right but fails on obvious meanings when it really should just work. iCloud Drive often lets me down and files fail to open with impenetrable error messages and streaming to my Apple TV is very unreliable (possibly not Apples fault - I need to dig deeper). Bits of emails are often lost when sending from Mac Mail to Windows Outlook. Launchpad often refuses to let me type an App name and there are numerous other niggles that spoil the experience. 

I can't imagine life without my Apple devices, but what would excite me is more reliable and better software. 

edited March 2016 anantksundaram