Flood of PC-to-Mac switchers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've had no less than four friends who are long-standing PC users tell me that they are considering switching to Macs, making those switching noises hot and heavy. Even a couple whose son's wife is an M$ employee.

Have you guys noticed an upswing in PC users making Mac-buying noises?

Drew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Even a couple whose son's wife is an M$ employee.

<hr></blockquote>

He he, I've never meet an M$ employee that like Microsoft. Of cource I've only meet one.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: smithjoel ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've met several that loved MS. One of them is a cousin of mine, actually.

Go figure.

At any rate, there's been a long head of steam building with my boss. He's disliked MS Windows for years, but it's coming to a head. It's at the point where he has mandated cross-platform development, and he's seriously casting about for alternatives.

Unfortunately, I need hardly say, the people who call the shots for our hardware platform are administrators, not technical types. So it'll be an uphill battle. But my boss is eyeing Macs hungrily now, and running Linux at home. And he's an old school mainframe/minicomputer sysadmin and programmer with almost 40 years of experience. If he switches we know there's been a revolution.

Another of my coworkers is a big PC head. He respects Macs in an odd way, but he knows PCs, and he prides himself on his ability to get great deals on Dell hardware. So his daughter goes off to college to study film. He scores a top-of-the-line Dell - way up in Ultimate PowerMac territory, pricewise - with all the bells and whistles, and sends her off to college. She comes back over fall break with the big honking PC in tow, leaves it at home, and goes back to school with a dual 867 PowerMac G4. Heh heh heh. I think the PC is now being used as a file server.

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I have alot of friends who stood in awe of apple's imac, ipod and ibooks.

However, all of them talk only, no action.....

Guess the price and the fear of the unknown is putting them off..
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buggybuggy Posts: 83member
    I have seen many so far, most of them have been like the Mac ads of people who hated macs all their lives (usually from under funded public education whose computers border on being older than the teachers), but once they have had a chance to use a "modern" mac, their opinions have changed.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    In my web design class, I always say how macs are better and how frontpage sucks (because we all know it realy does!) and how there are so many better things, and I always make killer websites (well least in comparison) from my house. I hope that 180days of this will make them think twice; i've already got my teacher considering another app then FrontPage

Next semester I have Desktop Publishing, I will work on my teacher in there also!

I have several PC friends who ever since the cube came out have been somewhat inerested in Apple and what they do. Two of them bought iBooks, the one loves apple, specially OS X. I'd really like to know how well these switch ads are working, apple seems to be playing them alot on commedy central...or maybe its the history channel, i can't remember, I swich back and forth too much between the two
  • Reply 6 of 7
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    Apple Retail's Ron Johnson said a few weeks ago that the Switch campaign is working and there has been "a substantial increase in the quantity and quality of traffic at EVERY Apple Store" since the Switch ads started.

There will be nothing more to speculate or wonder about on October 16th when Apple releases their quarterly results. They usually sell about 800,000 machines per quarter, so we'll know if their sales have gone up.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by spindler:

<strong>They usually sell about 800,000 machines per quarter, so we'll know if their sales have gone up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a good stat to know. I have actully knew how many total computers they sold. I do remember see server sales figues. There were 180 G4 servers sold the quarer before the xServ. I wonder how that has changed.