Apple plans to 'loop you in' at March 21 event with expected new 4" iPhone, 9.7" iPad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    volcan said:
    sog35 said:

Frankly as a shareholder I think its ridiculous that Tim Cook has not moved out of the USA already. He is literally costing shareholders $10 billion in taxes each year.
    Shareholders do not pay the taxes, that cost is passed on to the customers.
    You don't understand how shares are valued, to put it bluntly.

Firms are valued by markets for their after-tax cash flows.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 62 of 77
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ^^^ Yep. OS X is in need of a top to bottom review, and lingering iOS issues should be tackled aggressively by a dedicated team of people who want to bring iOS back to something a bit more refined.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    New iPhone?  Don't need it.
    New iPad?  Interesting, but not a need.
    New MacBook?  YES!  But where are the rumors about that?!

And no, I don't mean the MacBook "Pro."  I mean the more economically (if I can dare call it that) priced "MacBook."  Hopefully this time with more power and a second USB-C port!
  • Reply 64 of 77
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    Considering it was right in the first place, and that I'm sure Apple has a few people in their ad department speaking proper English ;-) : it was absurd.

I was never arguing whether Apple's grammar is correct or incorrect.  I merely wished to point out to the poster who suggested it isn't correct that his remedy has some needless ambiguity.  

What does 'Let us bring you in the loop.' mean?

Let us transport the loop while you are inside?
    or 
    Let us put you into the loop?

'Let us bring you into the loop' is unambiguous as to what is being brought where, whereas the poster's use of in leaves that open to the reader to interpret.  For example, if you say to me, "let me bring you in the car," this suggests to me I'm to be transported somewhere via car.  I'm not likely to think I'm to be placed in the car.  Of course, this has its own issues, but we're talking about the implications of the word 'into' versus just 'in.'
    As I said, publicity has it's own flow and use. or abuse of language. They haven't abused language here, but they often do :-).
    Context makes a difference though; it something is clear in meaning, you could extend a meaning into another (this is often done in poetry, literature and yes even advertising).

Anyway, language is a fun thing to play with; but lets go back to important stuff like the shape of the case on this future Ipad ;-).

radarthekat
  • Reply 65 of 77
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jdw said:

And no, I don't mean the MacBook "Pro."  I mean the more economically (if I can dare call it that) priced "MacBook."  Hopefully this time with more power and a second USB-C port!
    Often, Macbooks get no leaks, especially if they just changed the internals (or there were only minor case changes).
    So, your wish may come trough.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 66 of 77
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    jdw said:

Both MBP and MB need updates. 
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Folks,
    Just looping you in... It's group FaceTime calls. 
    Happy chatting,
    A
  • Reply 68 of 77
    By the way, that graphic design on the invitation looks flesh colored, which is a little disturbing.
    It's actually Spam colored.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Apple should consider leaving the USA.

About 15% of Apple's profits comes for the USA.  About $7.5 billion a year.

Apple makes about $42.5 billion in profits outside the USA.
    If Apple brings that money back to the USA they would have to pay 40% tax.
    The foreign tax rate is about 15%.

So if Apple went out of the USA they would save over $10 billion on taxes a year (pay 15% tax rate in foreign countries instead of 40% USA/Cali tax rate)

A nice target is good ole Ireland which has a 12% tax rate.

Apple should GTFO of the USA and blame the politicians for the move. This won't stop anyone in the US from buying their products.

Frankly as a shareholder I think its ridiculous that Tim Cook has not moved out of the USA already. He is literally costing shareholders $10 billion in taxes each year.

US corporate tax is about 30%. Ireland tax is 12.5% and Apple has been paying no where close to 12.5% but 2.5%. Yup 1/5 of that with Ireland"special" rate for Apple. The rest of Europe is around 20% or 25%. This is the reason why EU investigated Apple on tax matter...well, $8B back tax as they call it...will see if Apple can continue to sell products across Europe but use tax bracket from Ireland...last time Italy already made Apple pay $350M back tax for products sold in Apple Italy stores with tax recorded with Ireland. 
  • Reply 70 of 77
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    The pasſage of time can shove a fork whence it came. There’s grammar and then there’s an abomination thereof.

Just shows your ignorance.  Grammar from 100 years ago is totally different from today. But keep living in the past honey if thats all you can handle.

I guess you still use words like thou, thee, ect? LOL.

No Grammar needed for a title...such as : "Apple to Release a New iPhone "
  • Reply 71 of 77
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    Introducing Apple Loop, the new Notifications app. Subscribe to your favorites and "Stay in the Loop™"

Seriously though, the colors on the page seem to imply some new hardware. Should be interesting
  • Reply 72 of 77
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    thompr said:
    To be grammatically correct, you should have used the word "than" rather than "then".
    But I'm not the one to have complained that Apple wasn't being grammatically correct.  So the typos in my original response aren't really what's at issue here.   I'm responding via my iPhone, after all.  

The difference being, I'm trying to teach and you're happy to merely nitpick.
    Actually, I'm just having a little bit of fun.  I know that's not common around here, but I try it now and then anyway.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    runbuh said:
    Furthermore - OXFORD COMMA UNTIL I DIE!!!!

Out of all the grammar/spelling discussion in this thread this is the only thing I agree with!

Someone earlier pointed out the other color in the invite that doesn't apply to current Apple products. There's Space Grey, Rose Gold, and Gold but that tangerine-esque color is interesting.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 74 of 77
    Where's an updated Mac Pro? And what about a new display of some sort, a la 5K capable? Because Apple was able to keep the jet engine Mac Pro secret until they unveiled it, it's possible they can do the same with an update, no? 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 75 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Where's an updated Mac Pro? And what about a new display of some sort, a la 5K capable? Because Apple was able to keep the jet engine Mac Pro secret until they unveiled it, it's possible they can do the same with an update, no? 
    Far more possible, probably. Just watch for Intel chip releases.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    razormaid said:
    I noticed the design include all colors of current iPhones but there's a tangerine color added. I wonder if the new iPhone will offer that color?
    That would be great, I might have to switch from Silver if they did that...