Florida sheriff vows to arrest Tim Cook if Apple won't comply with court orders

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Not sure if anyone who comments here lives in Florida, but Polk County is unanimously known for having the worst, most un reasonable, above the law, full of themselves cops in Florida. This guy is a joke, and so is his county...
    I live in Palm Beach, FL and yes, Polk county is a joke!
    Many thx for your local opinion of what appears to be a Trumping sheriff.
  • Reply 42 of 131
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wow, Not a single person here who opposes Apple's view on following this court order. I guess that's not a surprise; this is an Apple fansite. I'm wondering if the pro-Apple crowd will threaten someone who says Apple is wrong on this issue. Let's find out: Apple is wrong on this issue.
    The only morons who disagree with Apple are those with special interests(FBI,Government) and fandroids who are willing to give up their rights to make Apple look bad. Any sane half-a-brain knows enslaving people and their personal data is a bad idea.

If you feel so comfortable with the FBI's demands why not upload your entire photo library here for us, along with your contacts, GPS info and personal data. Don't worry it's what you want isn't it? I'm sure you have nothing to hide :)
  • Reply 43 of 131
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member

removed double post

edited March 2016
  • Reply 44 of 131
    Two things. Last I checked Cupertino was in California and his jurisdiction is Florida! And if trump comes to the UK and starts with his rants he could be locked up for imciting racial hatred. We have very strict laws over here and the British public have had their fill of politicians that think they are above the law. 
  • Reply 45 of 131
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Check this article out it's from a former Counterterrorism Chief in support of Apple
    http://fortune.com/2016/03/14/apple-fbi-richard-clarke-npr/

baconstang
  • Reply 46 of 131
    It drives me nuts hearing these law enforcement morons and other government officials claiming Apple is above the law. What ever happened to due process? Apparently Apple isn't afforded due process in this country the way morons like Grady Judd speak.
    With remarks like this appearing in the Media there would be plenty of 'ammo' for Apple's Lawyers to say that he had tainted opinion and there would be no chance of getting a fair hearing in his county.
    I guess that he needs a few more campain contributions for his re-election in November.

It is really sad then US Officials pronounce like this. The DA's always tell the world that they are gonig to press for the max sentence
    They have goota be seen to be doing their job even at the detriment of Justice.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Just a tad above your pay grade eh Sherriff Bubba?

dude singlehanded makes law enforcement seem as if there's been no progress since "Imma gonna git them injuns!"

its a its a fedral issue since the FBI is involved. Not some Podunk small town old man wearing a towel around for a cape. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 48 of 131
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member

One imagines Sheriff Judd is also a Donald Trump supporter.
    More likely a Clinton one. 

Speaking of of acting beyond their pay grade...
    MacsAlways
  • Reply 49 of 131
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Wow, Not a single person here who opposes Apple's view on following this court order. I guess that's not a surprise; this is an Apple fansite. I'm wondering if the pro-Apple crowd will threaten someone who says Apple is wrong on this issue. Let's find out: Apple is wrong on this issu
    The court order gave Apple until Feb. 26 to "respond," which is exactly what Apple did. The DOJ filed a brief, Apple is allowed to respond to that as well. The magistrate will  consider all the briefs presented -- including many more I didn't mention -- before anything else happens with the phone. Certainly, there's a large amount of coverage in the press, Apple and law enforcement each fighting a separate battle for the minds of the public. But that's a different topic. 

I'm really not sure how you think this will be resolved? By the FBI knocking down Apple's front door?
  • Reply 50 of 131
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    cali said:
    gatorguy said:
    larrya said:
    Same guy who insists on preaching church sermons in his uniform, and who proclaims his support for "faith-based" jailing, so I guess at least on person is above the law. 
    My favorite statement was one he made to the press when they finally caught up to and in a shoot-out killed a career-criminal who had apparently killed a couple of people including an officer. When asked why they shot the suspect 60+ times he replied "because we ran out of bullets" or something to that effect.  LOL!
    You're the worst piece of shit. It's all funny until your father is beat to death over a traffic stop or your child is raped by a cop and let off scot-free...
     I hope one day you experience the cruelest crimes upon you or your loved ones as a slap in the face to your own cruelty. Maybe that day we'll have thousands of puppets laughing at your slain father or raped daughter "LOL"!!

Copblock.org. Read about all the crimes these pigs commit daily that the media refuse to cover...
    Losers like gator were laughing and said the little girl deserved the beating as she laid in the hospital.

Your statement is both repugnant and personally offensive sir. I've not ever seen anyone cheer when a child is beaten, tho apparently you have. I do hope you jumped in to stop it. It's certainly not something that would be tolerated for even a moment by Grady Judd, tho perhaps in your neck-of-the-woods it's different. 

I've not used the word "pig" when referring to police officers since my ignorant teenage burn-my-draft-card and don't-tell-me-I-can't-toke-at-the-concert days. Paint 'em all with then same brush eh Cali? Yeah I know lots of less-fortunate folks around here who supposedly hate the cops. . . until they need one. 
    edited March 2016 buzdotsjony0
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Sounds to me like this is an anti gay cop with a chip near his chin.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    Apparently, this sheriff has a history of abusing the civil rights of others:

http://www.blacknewsweekly.com/news322.html
  • Reply 53 of 131
    First cops complained the security wasn't strong enough and begged Apple for stronger security so thefts would go down. Now they're complaining it's too strong? You can't have your cake and eat it too. By the way, we as American citizens need to send a stern reminder to these cops to remind them whom exactly they f*****g work for! Your job is to protect us, not harass us! It's not Apple's job to do their investigations, just the same as it's not Glock's job to help solve murders. There's a reason why people praise firefighters and not pig cops. Firefighters do their damn jobs without complaint, while cops will empty your wallets for crossing the street wrong or going 5 over. 
  • Reply 54 of 131
    Wow, Not a single person here who opposes Apple's view on following this court order. I guess that's not a surprise; this is an Apple fansite. I'm wondering if the pro-Apple crowd will threaten someone who says Apple is wrong on this issue. Let's find out: Apple is wrong on this issue.
    Nope.  Apple is right on this issue.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    DCJ0001 said:
    Apparently, this sheriff has a history of abusing the civil rights of others:

http://www.blacknewsweekly.com/news322.html
    I guess the author of your article was less interested in honesty than he is grand-standing, using "nigger" a number of times in his comments tho the Sheriff never did so. No idea how you decided that piece was a worthy link.  

The author is encouraging readers to define their actions by the color of their skin, no different than the way he viewed the Fish and Game officer's ultimate actions.

Quote: "What makes this lynching so horrendous and different is that Black cops were part of the lynch mob. These no good Black cops in this country will do anything to keep jobs they are not qualified to have in the first place.". 

edited March 2016
  • Reply 56 of 131
    Paddle faster, I hear banjoes
    zeus423jmc54
  • Reply 57 of 131
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    You're the worst piece of shit. It's all funny until your father is beat to death over a traffic stop or your child is raped by a cop and let off scot-free...
     I hope one day you experience the cruelest crimes upon you or your loved ones as a slap in the face to your own cruelty. Maybe that day we'll have thousands of puppets laughing at your slain father or raped daughter "LOL"!!

Copblock.org. Read about all the crimes these pigs commit daily that the media refuse to cover...
    Losers like gator were laughing and said the little girl deserved the beating as she laid in the hospital.

Your statement is both repugnant and personally offensive sir. I've not ever seen anyone cheer when a child is beaten, tho apparently you have. I do hope you jumped in to stop it. It's certainly not something that would be tolerated for even a moment by Grady Judd, tho perhaps in your neck-of-the-woods it's different. 

I've not used the word "pig" when referring to police officers since my ignorant teenage burn-my-draft-card and don't-tell-me-I-can't-toke-at-the-concert days. Paint 'em all with then same brush eh Cali? Yeah I know lots of less-fortunate folks around here who supposedly hate the cops. . . until they need one. 
    Oh dear.

Seems to me that you were in the minority of AI posters supporting the authorities when Apple was fighting the warrant, and I know for a fact that you weren't around when the trolls were thick. Your pals Google came around with an amicus brief. Even now you appear to support the authorities over personal privacy.

I'll take the Left Coast anyway over Florida, which is too feudal for me, thanks very much. 
    mwhite
  • Reply 58 of 131
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Apple's firm stance against decrypting iPhones in criminal investigations could land CEO Tim Cook in jail, if the sheriff in one rural Florida county has his way.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd. Via Fox 13

"I can tell you, the first time we do have trouble getting into a cell phone, we're going to seek a court order from Apple. And when they deny us, I'm going to go lock the CEO of Apple up," Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said, according to FOX 13. "I'll lock the rascal up."

"You cannot create a business model to go, 'We're not paying attention to the federal judge or the state judge. You see, we're above the law,'" Judd added. "The CEO of Apple needs to know he's not above the law, and neither is anybody else in the United States."

It's not clear exactly how Judd would follow through on such a threat; in addition to the fact that Cook lives in California and is unlikely to ever set foot in Polk County, he has a formidable legal shield in front of him.

The sheriff's comments came during a press conference for a case in which the suspects -- who are accused of beating, sexually assaulting, and murdering a man -- took photos of their crime and showed those photos to others. The suspects then provided police with the phone's passcode.

Whoo-Whoo! Whoo-whoo!

All aboard the crazy train!

Now departing Polk County! 
  • Reply 59 of 131
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Might be recall time.
  • Reply 60 of 131
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:

So do you believe that everyone who "apparently" committed a crime should be summarily executed?  Are there any people who should get due process of the law and
    the presumption of innocence?  Can labeling someone as a career criminal be sufficient to remove any rights they are guaranteed under the US Constitution?  Can the labeling be done after the execution in order to justify violation of a person's rights in all cases?  This would be convenient for homicidal police thugs.  Your feelings of repugnance and offense are what should cause people to LOL.
    propod