Florida sheriff vows to arrest Tim Cook if Apple won't comply with court orders

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    kevdrexkevdrex Posts: 13member
    His colleague, Sheriff Buford T. Justice would be proud if this guy finally caught The Bandit. That rascal. 
  • Reply 82 of 131
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    Why so defensive? You are law and order; I get that.
    Why so judgemental?
    You were the one that was posting with such pride of the Sheriff; I only responded to that.

So which of my comments about him do you consider inaccurate or even marginally take issue with, and based on what? 
    edited March 2016 singularity
  • Reply 83 of 131
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    The stereotype is confirmed. Polk County is like a Polish joke, really really bad
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 84 of 131
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member
    Grady is a cliché – the classic southern redneck sheriff who acts like he is not just king of his fiefdom, but king of the whole gosh darn world.

I can hear Randy Newman singing in the background... "We're red necks, we're red necks, we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground..."

"Every man a king".

All sarcasm aside, Sheriff Grady apparently doesn't understand that Apple is in fact following the law. And that Apple's challenge to the FBI's unresolved court order is due process. If Grady doesn't understand and/or follow due process under the law, then as a law officer he would qualify to be investigated by the U.S. attorney and DoJ and potentially be brought up on federal charges. In other words, if he arrested Tim Cook on bogus charges he would be breaking the law.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 85 of 131
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

tmay said:
    You don't support Apple. That's a given.
    Ah, and based on...??
    Your previous posts.
    Example of a couple?
    singularity
  • Reply 86 of 131
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:

tmay said:
    You were the one that was posting with such pride of the Sheriff; I only responded to that.

So which of my comments about him do you consider inaccurate or even marginally take issue with, and based on what? 
    Your quotes define the Sheriff; your editorialization defines you. Own it.
    nolamacguyafrodri
  • Reply 87 of 131
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:

tmay said:

Your quotes define the Sheriff; your editorialization defines you. Own it.
    Well of course I "own it". I wrote it all myself after weighing my thoughts and words. But what comments did you find inaccurate? So far you've managed to dodge and weave, implying something I've written is wrong but so far haven't indicated where and how? Why avoid answering the question, unless of course  you could not find anything to specifically disagree with but would prefer not to acknowledge it.  
    edited March 2016 singularity
  • Reply 88 of 131
    He probably thinks Tim Cook should be in jail for other reasons besides this iPhone encryption case. He'd probably like to assault Tim Cook with his nightstick on general principles. I really hate this whole thing that Apple is involved in. After all these years of people using secure smartphones, Apple has to end up on the wrong end of the federal government with the iPhone. No point in having secure devices if you're going to give the key to anyone who asks.
  • Reply 89 of 131
    propodpropod Posts: 67member
    gatorguy said:
    larrya said:
    Same guy who insists on preaching church sermons in his uniform, and who proclaims his support for "faith-based" jailing, so I guess at least on person is above the law. 
    My favorite statement was one he made to the press when they finally caught up to and in a shoot-out killed a career-criminal who had apparently killed a couple of people including an officer. When asked why they shot the suspect 60+ times he replied "because we ran out of bullets" or something to that effect.  LOL!
    This shows your true colors. Disgusting.
  • Reply 90 of 131
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This clown reminds me of one of the best sheriffs ever to wear a badge.  My he rest in peace happily going after "The Bandit".

• Reply 91 of 131
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    These Police are crooks and criminals themselves... they violate people rights everyday and don't understand their own laws. You cannot force Apple to comply with these orders and you can't arrest Tim Cook as well? For What? 

Why would the citizen in Florida vote this loser in? He clearly has nothing to do with this issue and is abusing his power even mentioning this issue. If he was smart he would wait till the courts rule on this and then comply. In the mean time he needs to stay away and if I were Cook I would have private security take these thugs out if they even tried to kidnap me on false charge. 

• Reply 92 of 131
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Moron
  • Reply 93 of 131
    what were the legal charges that warrant this arrest?

I recall that this was a debate on privacy—about where to draw the line—not a criminal investigation. 

since when did the Law allows our law enforcement staff the privilege to arrest someone because that someone disagrees with them?

vigilantism, under the guise of the Law. 

edited March 2016
  • Reply 94 of 131
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    sflocal said:
    This clown reminds me of one of the best sheriffs ever to wear a badge. 

I was thinking more along the lines of J.W. Pepper:

edited March 2016
  • Reply 95 of 131
    what were the legal charges that warrant this arrest?

I recall that this was a debate on privacy—about where to draw the line—not a criminal investigation. 

since when did the Law allows our law enforcement staff to arrest someone because someone disagrees with them?

vigilantism, under the guise of the Law. 

I think the comments he made were in response to a question from the media about how he would view it if a tech provider refused a court order to disclose messages from a smartphone. 
  • Reply 96 of 131
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Polk County's speed trap revenues are going in the crapper, so Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriff_Rosco_P._Coltrane   (oops - Sheriff Grady ...) has to do something!

http://www.speedtrap.org/city/2089/Polk City

edited March 2016
  • Reply 97 of 131
    propod said:
    gatorguy said:
    larrya said:
    Same guy who insists on preaching church sermons in his uniform, and who proclaims his support for "faith-based" jailing, so I guess at least on person is above the law. 
    My favorite statement was one he made to the press when they finally caught up to and in a shoot-out killed a career-criminal who had apparently killed a couple of people including an officer. When asked why they shot the suspect 60+ times he replied "because we ran out of bullets" or something to that effect.  LOL!
    Do you find it equally disgusting if someone believes it's OK to kill an officer because they didn't like being pulled over, and then goes on to shoot and attempt to kill another officer because they are looking to arrest them for the first murder, and then also kill a police dog attempting to stop them from shooting any other person? No problem with any of that? I don't find myself feeling as sorry for the guy as I do for the police officers shot.   What about you? 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 98 of 131
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    One imagines Sheriff Judd is also a Donald Trump supporter.
    Sounds more like Cruz support, and Cruz is more dangerous than Trump!
    mwhite
  • Reply 99 of 131
    propodpropod Posts: 67member
    gatorguy said:
    propod said:
    Do you find it equally disgusting if someone believes it's OK to kill an officer because they didn't like being pulled over?
    Yes of course. What's your point? 
  • Reply 100 of 131
    freerange said:
    One imagines Sheriff Judd is also a Donald Trump supporter.
    Sounds more like Cruz support, and Cruz is more dangerous than Trump!
    FWIW I don't find any of the current leading candidates to be worthy of my vote, tho I'm still reserving judgement on Bernie Sanders. IMO Ms. Clinton, Mr. Trump and Mr. Cruz are all equally dangerous.
    singularitypunkndrublic